Isuzu powered FJ140 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I didn't want to do a build thread when I started, because I knew this would be a few years...

But, just about 3 years later I am done, and I couldn't be happier. Project started off with getting a free motor out of a burned up Hitachi excavator, a 4.3L version of the 4bd1t. I over 1 year I scavenged all of the 4bd1t parts I would need to make the motor suitable for a road vehicle.

I used Diesel Tim's adapter to the NV4500, and the AA adapter to the FJ62 split case to the 80 axles. Tofab did the frame/body swap and the install of the drive train. EBI did an incoming inspection into BC and took care of a few odds and ends.

I still need to put hubs on it so I don't have to push the front end around in 2wd, but on the first tank of fuel I put through it I got about 10L/100km. I have been throttling it pretty much everywhere I go because I am not used to being able to accelerate in a 60.... and the sound of the motor... and the best part is that I have not had to downshift up a hill yet.

I have been driving it for exactly 1 week now, and I couldn't be happier with the result. There are a few small kinks to work out, but relatively few for how complex the project was.

Now for the pics...

motor is dirty from the mud spraying up...

Last edited:
Great work

We need sound! Post some video clips of that beast!

I have 1 sound clip, but the turbo isn't really working in it because it still had the 5psi wastegate at the time. I feel like it doesn't do it justice... I'll take one this weekend :)

Amazing, I absolutely love it. I didn't know tan coloured engines looked so good.
Are those 2 giant spin on fuel filters?

I was going for a tank theme... I really like the tan when it is clean but it shows dirt quick (which was the intent). It has a small oil leak from the power steering pump seal, which I was easily able to trace because of the Tan paint!

The 2 horizontal filters are oil, main and a bypass filter.

There is a small style fuel filter on the rail, and another fuel filter/water separator on the firewall by the oil filters.

Soooooo..... 4.10 gears I imagine? Curious about tire size, rpms/mph, mpg...

4.3L 4 banger must make the rig a vibradil!

This particular thread needs more to view because what I do see looks good!

Soooooo..... 4.10 gears I imagine? Curious about tire size, rpms/mph, mpg...

4.3L 4 banger must make the rig a vibradil!

This particular thread needs more to view because what I do see looks good!

4.10 gears stock in an 80? then yes. Top cruising speed is 120km/h @ like 2,3-400rpm on the tach in 5th. transfer case 8% overdrive 45% under-high is on the wish list. 10L/100kmm so far so like 23-25mpg with the 5psi wastegate. Will update on the next tank, expecting it to go up a bit if I can keep my foot out of the pedal. oh ya, and I turned the fuel up a full turn... I hit 28psi in 3rd @ 2,500rpm so the turbo is pretty much maxed as its rated to 30psi. Fuel screw has a fair bit of room to back out still...

It's on fluid filled engine mounts, and the rotating assembly was balanced.

Runs pretty smooth, pretty much the same as the 3.9 isuzu.

Video

Last edited:
Sweet.

Any issues with cooling? Stock radiator keeps up? My 5 liter mitsubishi will creep the temp Guage up on the hwy when it's 80 degrees or more.

Sweet.

Any issues with cooling? Stock radiator keeps up? My 5 liter mitsubishi will creep the temp Guage up on the hwy when it's 80 degrees or more.

so far I've only had problems keeping it warm. it's got the 2 stage Taurus fan in, with the 1st stage always on. I am debating turning the 1st stage off but we'll see how she does in the summer.

Since I disabled wastegate until the new adjustable one shows up, I haven't gotten EGTs over 1,100.

I also edited my post above to answer a bit more of your questions, looks like I did that after you responded

Last edited:
that is an awesome sound clip. Need more pictures of this beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom