Low power 79 HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Transfer Case Newb:

Hey guys I had been told by a mechanic ages ago that my transfer case might be on its last legs. 4 yrs later and daily driving it finally may have gone bad but I’d like to confirm.

Started, idling I can hear clicks but this is in neutral. In gear I can go into any gear including reverse but it runs like I’m underpowered and although it feels like it’s shifting it will not speed up over 35/40 in 3rd or 4th gear. No smoke but it does smell like I’m burning some fluid.

This truck was a DD but has recently sat for almost a month or so due to some business travel.

I’ll be checking fluids this weekend to be sure I haven’t already leaked it all out but I have no signs of that.

Is there a tell tale test for the transfer case?

I have not tried H4/L4 this is all H2.

Thanks in advance

Down on power - its not going to be a transfer case/transmission issue.. you'd here all sorts of terrible noise if that were the case.

I'd first be changing your fuel filter - then looking for other potential sources of fuel restriction such as a faulty lift pump, a blocked sedimenter, or the gauze screen on the inlet banjo having muck in it.

Down on power - its not going to be a transfer case/transmission issue.. you'd here all sorts of terrible noise if that were the case.

I'd first be changing your fuel filter - then looking for other potential sources of fuel restriction such as a faulty lift pump, a blocked sedimenter, or the gauze screen on the inlet banjo having muck in it.
Good to know transfer case wouldn’t behave that way, frankly I was just imagining what it could be but since shifting is happening I doubted my theory.

So I’ve got 2 fuel filters one (aftermarket) is definitely new, the stock filter looks very clean but I’ll get a replacement anyway I bought one but it was the wrong size/part number.

1) Faulty lift pump: while I know where it is, how would I know if it’s faulty? Is there a good troubleshooting guide in the manual? I will search my manuals.
2) Blocked sedimented: I will inspect
3) Gauze screen on the inlet banjo: I had no idea there was a gauze screen, will inspect

Thanks!

Good to know transfer case wouldn’t behave that way, frankly I was just imagining what it could be but since shifting is happening I doubted my theory.

So I’ve got 2 fuel filters one (aftermarket) is definitely new, the stock filter looks very clean but I’ll get a replacement anyway I bought one but it was the wrong size/part number.

1) Faulty lift pump: while I know where it is, how would I know if it’s faulty? Is there a good troubleshooting guide in the manual? I will search my manuals.
2) Blocked sedimented: I will inspect
3) Gauze screen on the inlet banjo: I had no idea there was a gauze screen, will inspect

Thanks!
A photo of the engine so you can see the fuel filters:

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

OK.. an after market sedimenter and fuel filter fitted.. double check the factory sedimenter though if its still fitted.. it'll be bolted to the right hand side inside chassis rail behind the vacuum accumulator tank (beneath drivers seat).

With regards to the faulty lift pump diagnosis.. there's a couple of things:

1. Crack the bleed nipple on the factory fuel filter (err, yours appears to be missing though) and crank the engine - you want to see good strong spurts of diesel being ejected by the lift pump. Given your bleed nipple on your filter housing is missing.. you could crack the bleed nipple on the pump body and check that.. I have labelled it on this pic of a 2H pump - which is nearly identical to yours anyhow: 2H Pump parts

2. You can pull it off and check its operation (3 nuts).. see my video here of a faulty one.

Last edited:
OK.. an after market sedimenter and fuel filter fitted.. double check the factory sedimenter though if its still fitted.. it'll be bolted to the right hand side inside chassis rail behind the vacuum accumulator tank (beneath drivers seat).

1. Crack the bleed nipple on the factory fuel filter (err, yours appears to be missing though) and crank the engine - you want to see good strong spurts of diesel being ejected by the lift pump. Given your bleed nipple on your filter housing is missing.. you could crack the bleed nipple on the pump body and check that.. I have labelled it on this pic of a 2H pump - which is nearly identical to yours anyhow: 2H Pump parts

2. You can pull it off and check its operation (3 nuts).. see my video here of a faulty one.

I made some good progress today and a small mistake. All sorted but here are the photos again:
Post in thread 'Low power 79 HJ45'
Low power 79 HJ45 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/low-power-79-hj45.1318480/post-15074705

In the first photos two arrows
1 stock filter close to water pump
2 after market sedimenter mounted on firewall right side next to steering

Bleed on top of stock filter is there, I just re-bled from there.
Bleed on left of injector pump is something I did not touch previously and while running I bled from here and she started sounding normal again.

Mistake made, I busted the injector bleed nipple while bringing it snug but I found a shoulder bolt to resolve for now.

She seems to be a lot better now thanks for all the help. It’s been great to learn and next time I can do the whole bleed in less than 1 hr.

Woohoo

Great info, sorry for my delay I was traveling for work. I’ve made considerable progress, but this will help me close some other questions. THanks

Hey @duncanrm I am curious, as I was looking at my manuals, I noticed the Injector Pump is a Nippon Denso, the manual for the H shows a Bosch type or an RU but neither is my ND unit. The reason this caught my eye is as I learn more about the fuel system, I was wondering if I need to add or replace the Injector Pump oil, but I don’t have the dipstick, or the fill port.

Is this common in these HJ45’s or was this replaced from the stock on in Australia before I got it? Photos in previous post.

Hey @duncanrm I am curious, as I was looking at my manuals, I noticed the Injector Pump is a Nippon Denso, the manual for the H shows a Bosch type or an RU but neither is my ND unit. The reason this caught my eye is as I learn more about the fuel system, I was wondering if I need to add or replace the Injector Pump oil, but I don’t have the dipstick, or the fill port.

Is this common in these HJ45’s or was this replaced from the stock on in Australia before I got it? Photos in previous post.

Your pump has an oil feed from the engine, there's nothing to do with regards to the pump oil from a maintenance perspective. The pump you have is the one that all later model HJ45s (square bezel) shipped with in Australia.

Whilst there's no maintenance with regards to the bottom half of the pump you should drain the governor housing on a regular basis, oil can accumulate in there from blowby etc. I've labelled the Governor Housing drain plug in this photo: New item by Duncan Margetts - https://photos.app.goo.gl/RFqc6NFsaTzkq97f6

Last edited:
Your pump has an oil feed from the engine, there's nothing to do with regards to the pump oil from a maintenance perspective. The pump you have is the one that all later model HJ45s (square bezel) shipped with in Australia.

Whilst there's no maintenance with regards to the bottom half of the pump you should drain the governor housing on a regular basis, oil can accumulate in there from blowby etc. I've labelled the Governor Housing drain plug in this photo: New item by Duncan Margetts - https://photos.app.goo.gl/RFqc6NFsaTzkq97f6
buddy you are the best, thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom