Isuzu powered FJ140 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm leaning towards cooling system problems and overheat now that Mike said he had the cooling system block and flush at ~5,000km. I posted this on 4BTswaps:

The cooling system may be the culprit. Running high (but normally manageable) EGT with cooling blockages in the centre of the block could make that piston overheat, swell and grab the bore. Resulting in all the piston/bore scuffing.

It's not melted from the top like the average stupid EGT failure. The cracking and piece missing could be a rough history combined with overheat and loss of strength from the overheat/fire.

Any update on the new motor and how stuff turned out...

Things are still good, got it back on the road after the new motor and I've put 30-40,000km on it since then.

Never confirmed what cause the failure but most people think either injector or blocked coolant passage as dougal suggested.

We returned home in 2018 and I've been daily driving it on and off and using it for off road trips. Runs good still, thinking about changing out the single turbo for a set of compounds.

Last edited:
Not that I know of. I was going to build it with him. His engine bay is really tight on space. Was going to model after Dougals design.
Nice! Hey, how about you? Did you get jeremys old engine up and running?

So his tranny is sitting in the corner of my garage mated to a running 4bd1t. Hoping to dig into it this spring but something always gets into the way. Last year this time I separated my shoulder boarding so has been a year of physio and rehab. I think this year is the year! Have a 16 day Disneyland to Grand Canyon to Utah trip with the family in our 5th wheel comming up in one month but after that I've got a good feeling.......bought an f350 7.3 dually to do that and the worst part is I'm starting to like the truck. I don't know why but it's growing on me. Perhaps it the overall giganticness or the orbit of a turning radius or being able to touch both lines on either side when I park at work next to a tesla. Dunno. For a huge ass truck it's surprisingly fast. I feel like I commute to work in an earth mover.

......bought an f350 7.3 dually to do that and the worst part is I'm starting to like the truck. I don't know why but it's growing on me. Perhaps it the overall giganticness or the orbit of a turning radius or being able to touch both lines on either side when I park at work next to a tesla. Dunno. For a huge ass truck it's surprisingly fast. I feel like I commute to work in an earth mover.

This is not helping my commitment to cruisers....:rofl:

So his tranny is sitting in the corner of my garage mated to a running 4bd1t. Hoping to dig into it this spring but something always gets into the way. Last year this time I separated my shoulder boarding so has been a year of physio and rehab. I think this year is the year! Have a 16 day Disneyland to Grand Canyon to Utah trip with the family in our 5th wheel comming up in one month but after that I've got a good feeling.......bought an f350 7.3 dually to do that and the worst part is I'm starting to like the truck. I don't know why but it's growing on me. Perhaps it the overall giganticness or the orbit of a turning radius or being able to touch both lines on either side when I park at work next to a tesla. Dunno. For a huge ass truck it's surprisingly fast. I feel like I commute to work in an earth mover.
Hey, I have ZERO issues with the 7.3. We had one forever. Sold it at 371,000 with no major issues. And I hear you on the camper. Used to be sleep on the ground only. Now, it’s tent and air mattress since I got married. Leaning heavily toward teardrop and calling it good. I think that would be our last step in the camping game, the wife is good with the tent and air mattress, but I think the teardrop would work well.

I have settled on NV4500/4bd2t/HF2AV. Now going back and forth between 100 and 80.

Use to just use my ground sheet when I was single and in the reserves. Then I got married and we had a small tent. Then we got a nice big tent when my first daughter was born and used it once. Our air mattress leaked, my daughter cried all night and it rained all the next day. Last time I was in a tent actually. Got a travel trailer and several there after. Each got bigger. Now we have a 31ft 5th wheel with a 16ft push out and 9 ft ceilings. Pretty much a small house on wheels. My only hope is my youngest daughter who is 11 wants to resurrect the bj40 and go 4x4 camping. Might just start the cycle all over again.

No compounds yet but I did figure it was time to deal with the paint.

Tan fj60.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom