2LT high EGT low power (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

all i can think is that youre choking it with fuel on the top end, but i dont know how thoes fuel pin deals work
i would disable your wastegate and wire it shut temporarily to see what full boost makes it do for test purposes, it may be your wastegate is opening way too soon, and making you go too rich

all i can think is that youre choking it with fuel on the top end, but i dont know how thoes fuel pin deals work
i would disable your wastegate and wire it shut temporarily to see what full boost makes it do for test purposes, it may be your wastegate is opening way too soon, and making you go too rich
That could be possible. The fuel pin is pretty simple. Boost pressure pushes down in the pin, then another pin can ride deeper in the groove. The deeper it rides, the more fuel gets injected.

you shouldnt see smoke, light haze at most i think 'they' say
mine burns cleaner than before the turbo went on

Yeah this is definitely not a light haze. I'm gonna fiddle the the fuel and turn it down a bit

id mess with the wastegate first, see if you can make better power with air first

Is the haze you're seeing in low light conditions through headlights? If it is, this is normal for any diesel without a DPF

If you've been babying the engine for ages, the first time you thrash it all the crap building up on the inside of the exhaust gets burnt off. Hence the dirty smoke.

1000f is too cold for full noise egt preturbo. No wonder your truck is slow, you need to turn up the fuel.

Sounds like she needs more fuel, and once full load WOT is sorted, a play with the boost compensator to get everything else dialed.

The symptoms sound like a turbo that's too big, but I wouldn't have thought a TD04L-13T would be too big.

The other thing is, how are you driving it? You'll have much cooler EGTs (and probably lower ECT as well) at 3500 rpm and 13 lbs of boost than 2000 and 3 lbs. Don't be afraid to let it rev a bit, I've never run a 2L-## on the dyno but I'd assume it probably doesn't make max power till 4k rpm plus.

On the exhaust, how many crush bends have you got? These probably aren't helping flow but I doubt it's a massive restriction.

Lastly, it might pay to revisit the timing, too much timing will tend to make them more smoky.

This is all new information to me. So basically I'm giving it too much fuel under low boost and not enough under high boost?

Sounds like she needs more fuel, and once full load WOT is sorted, a play with the boost compensator to get everything else dialed.

The symptoms sound like a turbo that's too big, but I wouldn't have thought a TD04L-13T would be too big.

The other thing is, how are you driving it? You'll have much cooler EGTs (and probably lower ECT as well) at 3500 rpm and 13 lbs of boost than 2000 and 3 lbs. Don't be afraid to let it rev a bit, I've never run a 2L-## on the dyno but I'd assume it probably doesn't make max power till 4k rpm plus.

On the exhaust, how many crush bends have you got? These probably aren't helping flow but I doubt it's a massive restriction.

Lastly, it might pay to revisit the timing, too much timing will tend to make them more smoky.
I bought the turbo used, it blows a bit of oil idling and under load, could be a poor performing unit from age/use.

I never rev it above 3000RPM, I get nervous when I hear the turbo start to whistle, it kinda drives like a switch -I'm either puttering along, or accelerating hard- and I have to push too far on the pedal for my likings. I have trust issues with this truck so I always drive it gently.

The only crush bends are the crossover under the driveshaft, everything else is mandrel bent. Although it's a very sharp angle down after the turbo.

I actually advanced the timing a few months back because I would floor the engine and it would rev up very slowly, advancing it made it rev faster and seemed to make more power.

The turbo doesn't make more than 4 or so PSI even revving high unless I give it a lot of throttle

Th
The turbo doesn't make more than 4 or so PSI even revving high unless I give it a lot of throttle
If this is not under load, this is normal. You'll only make boost under load.

If you don't like the turbo whistle, not sure a little turbo diesel is for you TBH, it'll be in boost 80% of the time which means it's whistling.

I still think it's getting boost too late, but not really working out why.

The thing is, you need fuel to get the EGT up enough to make boost, which will reduce EGT, and I wonder if you're driving it too gently to make boost.

the 2l has roller rockers and double valve springs. its meant to rev. Its not a 6cyl 6bt and it wont act like one.
when I drove it to Reno I was in 3rd gear at 4000rpm for hours at a time.

Well I haven't had much time to mess with the truck, but I tightened the wastegate as tight as it can go, and loosened the dynamic timing adjustment so I get more mechanical advance down low. Truck feels better by the seat of my pants.

Thats good to know these engines are happy to rev. I think the turbo is on its way out though. I will open up the compensator and tighten up the star wheel a bit so it's not dumping fuel to early.

My stock LJ78 with a 2L-TE/manual transmission would happily do 3200 rpm for hours at 110+km/h. Redline is 4800 rpm. With regards to your turbo, check for axial play on the turbine shaft and look for wear on the compressor wheel blades.

I've got a well turned up 2L that I started playing with in 1995. I had the pump re-worked in Australia, intercooled it and am also running the same turbo as you. I found it in a junk yard and it was in excellent shape. I've run my engine at 20 psi and 1200F for hours on end pushing a headwind driving west while towing a 4,000 lb trailer. 1000F is actually on the cool side if you are at WOT. Your issue could be timing or a well worn turbo or both. I'd start with a compression check and have someone knowledgeable give your turbo an inspection.

While my 2L certainly isn't a race car, it's runs respectably well for a 40 year old diesel. I've pulled the Eisenhower pass (empty) at 65 -70 mph without issue.

I've had it in storage for the last 8 years and pulled it out a few years ago and it fired right up. Just need to find another project for that engine as my original pickup has significantly rusted away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom