Is there a way to add protection up front without totally replacing the bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'd really like to protect my truck from low speed crashes and such. I'm smart enough to know that a grille guard wont do a damn thing but make it worse. Are there options in between full ARB bull bar at 900$ and the stock bumper?

I'm getting together with a welder in the spring to help me put a winch behind the stock bumper and I thought I would try and come up with some other ideas to protect the truck (and add recovery points and maybe hi-lift jack points) to share with him and see what he could do.

Any recommendations? Have others strengthened the front bumper? with a little tubing behind the stock one?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-- Beej

Excellent point. Nothing against that bumper but I would prefer to modify the stock bumper. I don't want to spend the money on ARB but I also want to maintain the stock look and avoid extra weight too.

The stock (front) bumper is little more than cosmetic. You are trying to 'beef' up something that has minimal infrastructure/strength. You could likely double its strength by giving it a few coats of paint...

cheers,
george.

The stock (front) bumper is little more than cosmetic. You are trying to 'beef' up something that has minimal infrastructure/strength. You could likely double its strength by giving it a few coats of paint...

cheers,
george.

Exactly! So even a single piece of tubing behind the bumper starts to make it into a real bumper. But how strong would it need to be to also not be a damage multiplier like other grill guards and such?

I'm not advocating for lipstick on this pig, I want to build the lips out of steel. Just as ugly, twice and strong.:p

Having been in said low-speed impact, the stock bumper is really just a tin can. The brackets that attach it to the frame horns also bend easily, so whatever you do to strengthen the bumper itself, impact will only push your (now stronger) bumper back into the valance. You would have to fabricate new brackets, then maybe run a tube of steel behind the bumper?

IMO, for the level of work involved, might as well build your own from scratch or buy aftermarket.

TJM t17 is the closest I've seen to "stock looking" if that's what you're after.

I thought I saw a build on here that used heavier gauge steel and new brackets, reused the corners, and duplicated the look of the stock bumper.

That OEM bumper is really flimsy. Those plastic corners are worthless. And the metal, oh well. Save some $$$ and get an ARB. I have an ARB in one truck and the Ironman in the other. I prefer the ARB over the Ironman. The ARB is one single part. Theres a company, Soflo in South Florida that sells some pretty good bumpers. Search

Fellow mudders, i am one of you. I replaced all my suspension bushings because God knows why. Did an exhaustive list of PM with all OEM parts. I change the transmission fluid at every oil change. I've got a fuel pump relay and fusible link in my spares kit. The FAQ is my Bible. Heck, I'm sitting in my truck right now typing this.

I know this won't be a popular option but has no one thought of anything in between grille guard/damage multiplier and full on battering ram?

Strengthening the brackets sounds like a good start. I'm going to talk to the welder and see what he recommends. He's built full cages. Maybe we'll attach something to the sliders.

I do like the NWT bumper kit but again, it's 100 lbs at least and is $420+ shipping and then it's in pieces.

Imma find a modest solution if it's the last thing i do!

Its been a while since I had my stock bumper on but I imagine you could run two pieces of 1.75" DOM behind it. One above the other with the top of one tube lining up with the top of the frame and the bottom of the other lining up with the bottom of the frame. Ideally you would have a tube bender and try to follow the curve of the stock bumper as close as possible. Cut out any brackets etc on the stock bumper and use it as a skin for the tube. Might even be able to use the stock bolt holes and through drill/sleeve the tube to attach it.

You'll have to ditch the stock brackets and the little horns on the front of the frame. You can see in my bumper build thread (Relentless Fab bumper) the style of brackets used to attach the bumper to the frame. I'd try and mimic something like that (maybe 3/8" plate though since you are going to weld tube to the front).

Since you are adding a winch you'll have to incorporate a way from the cable to pass through the DOM but it could be done. Properly attached to the frame and welded together I don't think it would be a damage multiplier. You're idea is out of the norm but I think it's kinda cool. Stout winch bumper that looks factory. Look will be modest, cost probably less so (unless your welder works for free), work effort will be higher than a kit or complete bumper though.

Keep in mind that those flimsy factory brackets are designed to fail. In very low speed crashes they give way to reduce the likelihood of the airbags going off. Replacing them with stout brackets may reduce damage to your front end but you run the risk of the airbags popping when they may not have with the factory brackets. Those of us who install the battering ram trade this for the piece of mind our trucks will plow through most other vehicles in a bigger collision.

Beej, I just did a hidden, Ramsey Pro 9000 winch install behind my factory LC bumper. I can say without a doubt, that it's nothing but a very thin (about .125 thick) shell. No matter what you hit with it, it's not going to protect anything, it's just for looks.

Imma find a modest solution if it's the last thing i do!

Go for it! I'd start by mimmicking the shape of the mounting brackets in 1/4" steel or better, then you can probably run a single stick of tube between them. Mount the bumper cover onto that and that alone would make the center section of the bumper much stronger, leaving just the wings in full-on flimsy mode.

:edit: do keep in mind that any sort of impact would still wrinkle and gouge the bumper skin, so even if the bumper held up, it would still look like crap after your fender bender. Prior to my accident, my bumper was already fairly beat up along the bottom edge just from wheeling on my little tires.

Last edited:
everything is a compromise. You will gain weight for protection - its a given. If you're keen to not have a damage multiplier then you need a stout bumper and your best option to keep the weight down is tube, not plate.

Custom work is expensive.

I'm willing to bet the cost to "finesse" your stock bumper to be strong enough to withstand fender benders will be just as much or close enough to justify having spent the money on an aftermarket unit.

If you go completely custom and build something arb style - you will spend more than the arb.

All this is moot if you bought your own welder and grinder and learned to do the work. It would come in around the same cost as the arb if you bought used or budget brands.

One other thought when doing mods. When do I ask myself that I'm trying to turn it to something it's not

I'm thinking it'll end up being something like this since it sounds like behind the bumper is going to be tough. We still calling that a damage multiplier?

c7dbafbf7dedb6a29696b0ad09ac2f5b.jpg

Tied into the frame at the bottom and across the top of the frame horns, would be your best bet. 3 inch tube like that won't move much

Here are some thoughts, from a structural point of view.

You can design and install a more impact resistant member, behind the stock bumper. This will add strength and preserve the OEM look. The OEM winch installation, outside of the US IIRC, included a platform behind the stock bumper.

There is a concern with this, and any replacement approach, however. The overall strength of the frame is balanced so that no single part is stronger than any other. This is counter to the way cars are designed today, with the inclusion of "crumple zones", which are designed to deform on impact, thus mitigating the damage to connected components.

When any addition is designed and installed, a primary consideration should be to analyze the resultant forces on the connections. You could, for example, design a "hidden" front bumper which would prevent impact damage, by itself, but so stress the connections and front ends of the frame rails that an impact which would have damaged only cosmetic fascia (grill, bumper, etc.) will result in permanent deformation of the frame.

Considering that a replacement bumper can be had for $100(ish), it's hard to justify the expense of structural additions which are more than cosmetic, purely from an engineering point of view. This is the design methodology used in the OEM design offices.

An addition can be made, but these considerations should be addressed.

Here are some thoughts, from a structural point of view.

You can design and install a more impact resistant member, behind the stock bumper. This will add strength and preserve the OEM look. The OEM winch installation, outside of the US IIRC, included a platform behind the stock bumper.

There is a concern with this, and any replacement approach, however. The overall strength of the frame is balanced so that no single part is stronger than any other. This is counter to the way cars are designed today, with the inclusion of "crumple zones", which are designed to deform on impact, thus mitigating the damage to connected components.

When any addition is designed and installed, a primary consideration should be to analyze the resultant forces on the connections. You could, for example, design a "hidden" front bumper which would prevent impact damage, by itself, but so stress the connections and front ends of the frame rails that an impact which would have damaged only cosmetic fascia (grill, bumper, etc.) will result in permanent deformation of the frame.

Considering that a replacement bumper can be had for $100(ish), it's hard to justify the expense of structural additions which are more than cosmetic, purely from an engineering point of view. This is the design methodology used in the OEM design offices.

An addition can be made, but these considerations should be addressed.

This is actually one of my main concerns and motivations for this unique project. I don't want a substantial aftermarket bumper because I'm concerned my airbags wont deploy in a higher than low speed crash. I dont want to be out somewhere and smash my radiator on a tree because I slid off a trail; that's all i'm trying to protect against. I do want my truck to retain its full safety capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom