Is it supposed to be so rough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is the FJ40 such a stiff, hard ride? Is my suspension just worn out, or is the solid axel suspension just produce a hard, stiff ride?

I have OME Springs and Shocks, a shackle reversal and lengthened, greasable shackles with bushings that aren’t too old or worn, and when I drive on a rough washboard road or even just a rough rocky road, it’s horribly uncomfortable. I see other 4X4’s with independent suspensions (including the Quads/SXS). going by and their suspensions seem to be absorbing all the shock-not the occupants.

My Springs are over 20years old. Should I take them to a shop? Could they be worn? They probably don’t have a ton of miles (<10K). It just seems that the ride shouldn’t be so harsh.

Thanks for the feedback on this!

how long have you owned it - is this something that has changed or it was always like this? could be the springs but it could also be the shocks. Shackles could be too tight?

Could be the OME springs are the heavy set instead of lite. If you don't have a lot of extra gear loaded that would fit.

The Front springs are OME-13 and the rears are OME-14, but those numbers aren’t listed in their current catalog. I believe they were 2.5” lift. Not sure if they were light or heavy.

I’m not carrying any weight in the rear… i even took out the rear seats, so the rear is very light.

how long have you owned it - is this something that has changed or it was always like this? could be the springs but it could also be the shocks. Shackles could be too tight?

I would say it’s mostly always been this way. It’s never been very easy riding. You feel every bump and pothole whether on road or off.

My 2.5” procomp lift with bilstein shocks is the smoothest 40 I’ve ridden in. That said, it’s a tank compared to my 04 4Runner with a lift.

How many leaves are in your spring packs?

The Front springs are OME-13 and the rears are OME-14, but those numbers aren’t listed in their current catalog. I believe they were 2.5” lift. Not sure if they were light or heavy.

I’m not carrying any weight in the rear… i even took out the rear seats, so the rear is very light.

You will want to check out post #11 in this thread.

Like @SteveH alluded to, your tires play a significant role in ride quality on washboard roads.

You’ll never get a ride that compares to modern independent suspension- SXS, 4Runners or new broncos. The wheelbase and leaf springs won’t allow it. They’re 50-60 year old technology.
I have what sounds like the same suspension(OME, S/R) and 35’s. I keep the tires around ~24# all around and it’s an acceptable ride on paved roads and slow trails. I shy away from dirt cruising in it unless there’s a reason. My tundra (& sienna) are both more comfortable to go dirt road cruising.
Some swear by links to help with the fire roads. I have a hard time believing that it would offset the short wheelbase tho. Your experience may vary.

IMO an fj40 will never ride nice or even decent, now with plenty of adjustment you can get a comfortable ride. Power steering, longer leaf springs with custom mounts, longer wb, custom leaf springs, Expensive shocks & shock mounts or just link it up, use coilovers and drive like an rc car.

You’ll never get a ride that compares to modern independent suspension- SXS, 4Runners or new broncos.

This.

@rstoddard, 40s and your listed comparators are so different a comparison is impossible.

Pretty sure, if they’re newer OME, you have the OME Dakar heavy springs. I use the same spring with Biltstiens, I chose this setup because I ran a hard top and loaded the mule to max capacity with hunting/camping gear. Now with the top off, I use the occasional bevy of summer time co-eds for ballast. What ever works. Regardless, it’s never been super smooth.

5B1B035B-BCD8-45CC-9C50-3EC710C33671.jpeg

IMO an fj40 will never ride nice or even decent, now with plenty of adjustment you can get a comfortable ride. Power steering, longer leaf springs with custom mounts, longer wb, custom leaf springs, Expensive shocks & shock mounts or just link it up, use coilovers and drive like an rc car.

So you are just confirming that the rough ride in the 40 is a totally normal condition. That’s all I was trying to do. I’m not looking to turn it into a Cadillac. I just wanted to know if I had a problem with my suspension.

However, is it possible that the rear springs are heavier and stiffer than I need for my light rear end and that they are preventing the shocks from absorbing some of the road shock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom