Intro Xml325 38.5's with no lift 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks good, but I would be sad to see the shark front end go :eek:

OK, I see it now...
2016-09-20 20.57.55-1-1.jpg

Screenshot_2016-09-23-18-38-19-1-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
So I was wiping my dash down today and I found this switch knob thing do all 94's have these? :lol:

20160925_184938.jpg

Only the keepers!

That is the magic knob! I forget the percentages, but factory front/rear lockers only came on about 20% of LC's. Nothing on the VIN to tell you they are there.

its the magic dial until the bust something in the rear axle, then you will wish you didnt have it. isnt that right @Phildoh :flipoff2:

Alloy shafts fix most of those issues don't they? A set of alloy rear shafts is still WAY easier and cheaper to install vs adding a locker.

It seems the weak point in the rear axle is more the shaft vs the locker itself. I think there is an upgrade path using some of the 32 spline later model parts now also.

It's crazy have a bit of color changes the look.
The dial is Elockers...good up to 35s I hear.... if you are going hardcore you might want opt for air lockers.....once you snap an axle with an engage Elocker it's hard to get 3rd out. @Phildoh just went through this.... I haven't heard how he got it out.

Alloy shafts fix most of those issues don't they? A set of alloy rear shafts is still WAY easier and cheaper to install vs adding a locker.

It seems the weak point in the rear axle is more the shaft vs the locker itself. I think there is an upgrade path using some of the 32 spline later model parts now also.

i thought the housing deflection/ flex was the contributing factor to broken shafts and twisted splines as well as broken hub studs?

i thought the housing deflection/ flex was the contributing factor to broken shafts and twisted splines as well as broken hub studs?

On a full float axle it shouldn't be a huge deal. A bent axle housing isn't going to help anyone. There are a LOT of 80-series 'cruisers running around WAY over GVW and that probably is the issue that nobody wants to mention.

From the research I have done, the axle twists before the locking collar. Once those splines twist, the locking collar can get stuck in one position. If the axle breaks between the locking collar and side gear you can't pull the axle out thought the locking collar sometimes.

A good quality axle shaft, that is of better material than stock, is suppose to make this problem go away.

If you really want to chase the problem. You could upgrade to 32 spline axles and locking parts. You could even upgrade the 3rd to the later version that has the larger pinion shaft size.

@slow95z haha funny guy! :flipoff2:
@GW Nugget gotta start with cutting an inspection hole and seeing what went boom!
FB_IMG_1474304117211.jpg

I snapped the left axle, and twisted the splines on the right. Left axle broke 10" in, and I had to make a choker out of wire and yank the inner piece out. Right side not so lucky. It twisted the splines between the locker cog and carrier, thus locking the axle in the housing. I had to torch the cog off, slide the axle out and then take the 3rd out. Anything other than stick shafts on the street are highly less desirable, and chromo and others wear quicker and lose their strength with everyday driving. I'll be running stock shafts as mines a DD, and I'll get chromo's to throw in when I'm trail bound. FWIW, dont break your rear axle, it SUCKS!:deadhorse:

On a full float axle it shouldn't be a huge deal. A bent axle housing isn't going to help anyone. There are a LOT of 80-series 'cruisers running around WAY over GVW and that probably is the issue that nobody wants to mention.

From the research I have done, the axle twists before the locking collar. Once those splines twist, the locking collar can get stuck in one position. If the axle breaks between the locking collar and side gear you can't pull the axle out thought the locking collar sometimes.

A good quality axle shaft, that is of better material than stock, is suppose to make this problem go away.

If you really want to chase the problem. You could upgrade to 32 spline axles and locking parts. You could even upgrade the 3rd to the later version that has the larger pinion shaft size.

im curious if upgrading the housing to a diamond or ruffstuff would alleviate some of the torsional stresses on the stock shafts and splines........and theyd actually hold up better? vs slapping expensive rcvs in a noodly housing.

Are we talking the REAR axle or the front? The rear axle is much more prone to trapping the axle shaft with twisted splines from what I have seen.

I don't know if I buy that chromoly front axles wear that much faster. There a a LOT of RCV axles running around on hubless vehicles now. Jeeps having had hubs for decades and RCV style axles are very popular now. Seeing how a lot of them are 'lifetime guaranteed' you can just send them back for a rebuild or buy the parts and do it yourself.

It is always an option to covert to a part time 4wd system if it does become an issue.

At some point stock parts are not strong enough. If you are breaking stock shafts with an e-locker you are going to break shafts with an aftermarket locker. Breaking shafts sucks all around.

If I do any offroading with the XMLs and stock shafts I'll probably get to experience the twisted spines and broKen shafts. I can't decide if I want to keep the xmls, I've been looking hard at the procomp xtreme terrains.

just get it on the trail & road then things will get figured out... you might be light enough to be ok with them.

FWIW, if you're out wheeling and hear the vulnerable BOOM from the rear end (with the locker engaged), leave the locker on till you get to a better place, or even out of the trail youre on. If I had turned mine off, I likely wouldn't have made it back through gatekeeper to loon lake.

I like that you kept the spoiler :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom