Instructions for LED Headlight upgrade (3 Viewers)

Well it’s better, I’ll run it like this for a bit and see how it is. Never you mind my broke oil pressure gauge.
4AC9B7D2-E281-4334-80F1-13B7C52F4417.jpeg

Advent

GOLD Star
I just followed @amw2320 ’s wiring diagram but used the JW Speaker harnesses directly:
323720C1-E53B-4087-979C-DBFC9AA1CF1A.jpeg

I used 2ea 6ohm resisters from a Sylvania kit meant for LED turn signal replacement bulbs, wired in series.

Seems to work great so far! Thanks everyone for your hard work figuring the circuit out!

50ohms ended up not being enough. Still got blinded with the LED high beam indicator whenever I turned the high beams on. I ordered some 100ohm resistors and apparently misplaced them. So I soldered two 50ohm resistors back to back. Reduces the amps down to 0.13A oppose to 0.23A with just one 50ohm resistor. The dash indicator still comes on, so I'll report back to let you guys know how it turns out.

Being that the LED bulb only draws 0.01A I'm not sure I'll see a difference. If this doesn't work I'll give up and go back to incandescent

Spook50

My daughter likes Stitch
50ohms ended up not being enough. Still got blinded with the LED high beam indicator whenever I turned the high beams on. I ordered some 100ohm resistors and apparently misplaced them. So I soldered two 50ohm resistors back to back. Reduces the amps down to 0.13A oppose to 0.23A with just one 50ohm resistor. The dash indicator still comes on, so I'll report back to let you guys know how it turns out.

Being that the LED bulb only draws 0.01A I'm not sure I'll see a difference. If this doesn't work I'll give up and go back to incandescent
Yeah a resistor alone won't dim the LED as long as the voltage matches its operating voltage and the current available is equal to or more than it pulls. You'd need a PWM to "dim" it. A better option if you want to keep an LED in the indicator would be to find one with a lower lumen output, which is what I might do. The primary reason the resistor is used in the first place is to prevent blowing the fuses when you toggle high beams by pulling the stalk back. If you have an incandescent bulb in the dash, you could dim THAT by changing resistor values. I can't remember if the socket uses a 194 or a 168 bulb. They're the same dimensionally, but the 168 bulb is brighter and draws more current (also as a consequence, hotter). If the original design was for a 168 bulb, I would try a 194 bulb instead to see how you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom