Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maltec or trayback.
You know you want to. :D

We definitely thought about the Maltec conversion. I think it's a great option (still think it would be killer on an LX) but there are some tradeoffs in vehicle width, usability, and it just doesn't seem like they're quite ready for prime time in the US, yet. I'd strongly consider a 6x6 conversion if there was a shop in the US that brought in the kits from Australia and had experience doing it well. This seems unlikely given the potential volume here.

I hear ya Cole. I’m scared to weigh the truck fully loaded. I will say that it drives significantly better since I got rid of the RTT.

I definitely notice the heavier aluminum RTT more than I did the fiberglass one. Still, we actually really enjoy the Stealth tent. It may be worth doing whatever we can to reduce the roof weight by replacing the Eezi-Awn awning with a snow peak setup or something that we store in the cabin. That's probably just a drop in the bucket, though. I expect RTTs to get much better over the next few years and hopefully we'll find something much, much lighter.

I’m VERY tempted to sell both my rigs to finance a Maltec. I’ll be talking with them at Overland Expo West in May.

Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more photos, videos, etc. of the Maltec trucks. The one we checked out in Telluride was really cool but there were still some aspects that seemed rough around the edges. To be fair, I think it was a very early model. Totally worth looking into!

The biggest downside for me would be to reach a point when I'm spending more time preparing a vehicle before and after a trip than actual trip time. RTTs are cool but I feel like there are some pretty awesome ground based tents out there that when paired with cots and sleeping pads can also be very comfortable. You'll spend a little more time during setup and will need a larger footprint around camp but your overall weight should go down and you open up the roof for storage.

We ran a ground tent for a while in between the James Baroud and the Eezi Awn. The tent itself was awesome (Springbar) but there were times that it took 20 minutes to do the 14 stakes due to rocky terrain. It's just that we often find ourselves wanting to camp in areas that aren't that suitable for ground tents. I hear ya, though. It'd be awesome to just have lightweight stuff on the roof — or nothing at all! One potential twist would be camping hammocks which we use when backpacking. The trouble now is that we have dogs again and I don't trust them sleeping in the truck and they won't do well in the hammock.

Cole — does building a Tundra ever become part of the consideration?

Probably not... the Tundra doesn't really have much more payload and even has less than the LC in the crew cab (I think). You know how people always want Toyota to bring the 79 to the US but it's never going to happen? In another universe, what I'd actually love to see is Lexus develop a competitor to something like the Dodge Ram 2500 for the US with a 3k+ payload. Something like that would be perfect for us.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but for us having a trailer has been awesome! It ticks all the boxes to make my wife happy, give us space for the boys and our gear, is super quick and easy to setup and can stay loaded and ready to go all the time. My boys are 3 and 1, and we've averaged 25-30 nights out per year for the past 3 years. I'd consider that a pretty big win!

It's just under 3k lbs fully loaded with water and all our gear, so it's not lightweight. Our '99 was heavily built and heavy. The '16 is being built to carry the family and trailer, with a more mindful build. If I were you, I'd at least look at trailers and consider how having one might add to your adventures.

No kids, yet, but we do have a dog (soon to be dogs, hopefully) that love to camp. There's a chance we'd already be experimenting with a trailer if we had a place to put it. I don't trust the storage units around here (every one I've had has been broken into) but if we can crack that nut it seems like a good balance. We've already been chatting with the folks at BruderX about the EXP-4 :)

We ran a ground tent for a while in between the James Baroud and the Eezi Awn. The tent itself was awesome (Springbar) but there were times that it took 20 minutes to do the 14 stakes due to rocky terrain. It's just that we often find ourselves wanting to camp in areas that aren't that suitable for ground tents. I hear ya, though. It'd be awesome to just have lightweight stuff on the roof — or nothing at all! One potential twist would be camping hammocks which we use when backpacking. The trouble now is that we have dogs again and I don't trust them sleeping in the truck and they won't do well in the hammock.

Ah, there's no way I could lift my dog up the ladder into a RTT. She's 105 pounds of fluff. I know MSR makes some pretty good stakes. Their groundhog is designed for tough or rocky terrain. Food for thought if you ever go back.

Might suggest you try renting a teardrop before you buy. I was convinced that's what we were going to get, even designed one and had a deposit with a custom builder out in CA. We rented one locally for a long weekend and hated it. No place to stand up and get dressed, no place to put gear that isn't right on top of the bed, hard to get nice coverage over the kitchen area, etc. They look cool, but lack some functionality that we really wanted.

Might suggest you try renting a teardrop before you buy. I was convinced that's what we were going to get, even designed one and had a deposit with a custom builder out in CA. We rented one locally for a long weekend and hated it. No place to stand up and get dressed, no place to put gear that isn't right on top of the bed, hard to get nice coverage over the kitchen area, etc. They look cool, but lack some functionality that we really wanted.

Great advice. We'll try that!

What did you end up getting?

A four wheel pop up camper that’s on a flatbed trailer. We love it and it works well for us. Here’s a picture camped at an old mine site halfway up Hancock Pass out in CO last summer.

68236382-645D-46AD-9311-A51531748A8E.jpeg

I showed my wife a video of FWC online where the owner walks around, pops up the top and pulls out the bed in less than 30 seconds. That’s what sealed the deal!

Pursuant to this thread is the decision that having a trailer has pros and cons, but one large pro is that it takes stress off the truck payload which is what started the conversation. We’ve been able to adapt our trips to drop the trailer and do some pretty hard wheeling during the day which Cole also mentioned as an intent of his build.

I'm only storing lightweight, soft goods in the tailgate... right now there's a tow strap, a kinetic rope, a Cgear Sand Mat, and a tarp. You lose the torsion bar with this modification so the tailgate requires more effort and care to open and close.

Hi Cole, with the new tailgate storage mod and added damper (w/ out torsion bar), how does the tailgate open now? Does the damper slow down the fall at all? Thanks! -chris

Hi Cole, with the new tailgate storage mod and added damper (w/ out torsion bar), how does the tailgate open now? Does the damper slow down the fall at all? Thanks! -chris

I'm sure it helps a bit but it's hard to tell. I probably have 10-12 lbs of stuff in the tailgate so most of what I'm lifting is the cover and tailgate itself. It feels pretty heavy compared to the stock tailgate with the torsion bar.

I'm sure it helps a bit but it's hard to tell. I probably have 10-12 lbs of stuff in the tailgate so most of what I'm lifting is the cover and tailgate itself. It feels pretty heavy compared to the stock tailgate with the torsion bar.
I see... Makes sense~ Thank you!

Now for some practical payload management thoughts. I spent some time this weekend cleaning out the interior of the truck, refining what I keep loaded in the truck, and trying to improve the load balancing. Also, while the Autovox rear view mirror camera continues to work well, I also wanted to improve visibility where I could. This meant reducing the amount of stuff I had strapped to the cargo barrier as well as the items in the overhead cargo net. I also decided to store the ATC Custom Shelf Bag in a side cubby (I keep it empty) instead of leaving it in place all the time.

The biggest change is that I'm going from two water tanks to one. I had orignally wanted a single tank but could not find a viable solution and thus have been using a combination of the 10gal Frontrunner footwell tank and a 14gal rectangular tank under the middle row platform. This setup was nothing to sneeze at in terms of practical water storage between the axles, but it took up precious storage space under the middle row platform.

I've gone ahead and put an order in for a custom welded plastic tank complete with baffles and all fittings on top (using a pickup for the outlet) for the footwell. I made a cardboard version to test out the sizing and then reduced the dimensions a bit just for some margin. The total capacity will be 20-25 gallons. I'll also need to make a simple platform to accommodate the hump in the middle. I did not want to design around the hump because it makes extracting all the water difficult. With this update I'll also be adding a sender unit along with a water gauge. If there's enough room, I'll also place Dynamat and perhaps a layer of bootliner around the tank to help with noise.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.30.07 AM.png

This tank helps me do two things: 1.) get as much water as far forward as possible, and 2.) open up the area below the middle row for storage of my heaviest items (mostly tools, the Cook Partner stove, and spares). After shifting stuff around I have about 15 lbs of gear in my left drawer and around 20 lbs of gear in the right drawer. Both side cubbies / wings are empty. Of course, there is as 65 lb refrigerator that will house 50 lbs of beer on one side. Overall, it looks really clean. I added some more tie downs as well (guess I should take some photos).

With all this open space inside the vehicle (basically the entire surface of the Trekboxx middle row and the Trekboxx alpha system), why go to the extent of modifying the tailgate and installing a massive box on the bumper? Generally, access and cleanliness. The items in the tailgate aren't really accessed all that often but when they do I want to get to them quickly and also want to contain mess to that area. The bumper box is less about urgent access; instead it's about frequency. Also, everything in the bumper box is pretty lightweight aside from the propane.

Lastly, some data for folks to chew on. I weighed a bunch of my gear/mods and also estimated the amount of consumables (water, food, firewood, fuel, etc.) that we bring along for a trip. Here's what the payload looks like in pounds:

In Front of Front Axle: Mods - 380 lbs => 380 lbs
Between Axles: Consumables - 230 lbs, Gear - 487 lbs, Mods - 365 lbs, People / Dogs / Luggage - 450 lbs => 1532 lbs
Rear Axle and Behind: Consumables - 200 lbs, Gear - 287 lbs, Mods - 550 lbs => 1037 lbs

For reference, that includes roughly 200 lbs of water and 150 lbs of extra fuel.

Last edited:
Official drawings of the new water tank. IMO this is the most water you can cram in the second row footwell while using a platform or potentially even keeping the seats in for dogs.

64B2DC9E-C79F-4473-B071-A20F46C199A3.jpeg

Looking forward to replacing the two current tanks with this one. Plus, it’s black instead of grey like the existing tank so it won’t stand out as much. In preparation, I also ran an additional water line to the rear drawers along with a switch. It should be a nice additional access point while cooking.

I don’t have any photos, but I also made some no-going-back mods to our roof setup. Out of all the camping items we’ve tossed on the truck, we’ve actually used the awning the least. During lunch stops, we tend to find shade or just enjoy the moderate shade of the rear hatch. In evenings, we rarely roll into camp early enough to toss it out. The one time we really got some use out of it was when we were stranded in Death Valley. Soooo.... I removed the awning and also took my handy-dandy deep cut Milwaukee bandsaw to the Eezi Awn load bars. I cut them down to less than 1250mm (which is the smallest size). It’s a much cleaner look now. If we really, really want an awning I’ll pick up something like Snow Peak awning and take it when we think we’ll need it.

Reluctantly, I hooked up the CB radio system for Cruise Moab. I really hope our trail teams use ham because CB is the worst.

I also made some minor modifications to the rear bumper box (will add pics later) after a recent Big Sur trip. I added some eye bolts to the rear of the box to hang trash bags and other gear while the bumper is open when cooking. I also added some tie down anchor plates to the side of the box to hold the water heater.

One DIY thing we do a lot of is sewing bags, tie-downs, etc. but have been struggling with making a proper cover for the tailgate. While I love the utility of the TT tailgate cover, the LineX coating just isn’t very comfortable for sitting, climbing up on the truck, etc. I tried a couple layers of lightweight Vinyl-Coated Polyester with some quilt batting in between and it just wasn’t sturdy enough. Then, I went too far to the extreme and went with a super heavy weight fabric that basically destroyed our wimpy Janome. I have some spare 1000 Denier Cordura around that may work well. We’ll see.

We’re hoping to do a couple more shake-down trips before Moab. I also have an appointment coming up at the Stockton Cruiser Spa to finish up the airbag install and will spend some time checking out the undercarriage while the truck is on the lift, assuming the lift has been eating its Wheaties.

Last edited:
I'm curious about cleaning the tank; are you planning to add a removable access panel for cleaning? Of course you always have bleach and other chemical options, but IMO a mechanical cleaning is best.

I'm being lazy, what volume are you looking at? Looks to be a bit under 26gal?

I'm curious about cleaning the tank; are you planning to add a removable access panel for cleaning? Of course you always have bleach and other chemical options, but IMO a mechanical cleaning is best.

I'm being lazy, what volume are you looking at? Looks to be a bit under 26gal?

It’ll be about 20 gallons. The funny thing is that I used to carry 4 Jerry Cans in the same spot with just about the same amount of water. Of course, there are some benefits to having everything in one tank but with the time, energy, and money I’ve put into OBW I’m not sure it’s that much better than the old Jerry can setups I had. We’ll see!

I’m also picking up a couple inspection hatches but am not convinced that I’ll install them. The bleach method has worked well enough with the other two tanks and many, many years with jerry cans.

Dang I want one of those even without line x on my tailgate. That looks comfy. Hahaha

I expect @TrekboxX will be making them at some point as he did for the 100 Series as well. The one we made will definitely do the job but there's a reason I didn't take any close-up photos :)

WHAT A BUILD!!! Thank you so much for this thread. I'm a recent owner of a new '18 LC200 (bought it new in Sept.). You have answered so many questions I had. This is going to be an amazing resource.

Wow, thanks! Happy to help if you have any questions.

We're closing in on just a few weeks until Cruise Moab which will be followed by a pretty busy May including Overland Expo West and probably a short trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Before I forget, I'm heading toward Cruise Moab a little early for 2-4 days of camping/exploring along the way. I'll likely head out the morning of 4/26 and plan on camping at either Alabama Hills or somewhere within Death Valley. I may hang around DV a second night or will make a beeline for a couple nights in central Utah. If you're coming from the West Coast and want to join shoot me a PM.

There's not much to report on the vehicle front. Airbags are going in this Friday and my custom tank may or may not be ready in time. No big deal since I still have my current tanks. I've been doing a lot of preventative maintenance, checks, etc. since the truck's had a bit of a rough winter with many kamikaze weekend trips getting home at midnight on Sunday night and then sitting idle during the work week.

Oh yeah, one weird thing is that I had an issue with the Stealth tent. Well, I'm pretty sure I caused the problem. We were camping a little over a month ago and the dog got sick at like 4AM. The weather was terrible... pouring rain and our dispersed site had turned into a mud pit. We normally leave a modest amount of gear in the tent but this time there was all our normal stuff plus a couple sleeping bags for extra warmth, two wool blankets, probably some extra clothes, etc. I remember the tent being very, very difficult to close but I used some leverage to close all the latches. We drove several hours in a torrential downpour on our way home. I made sure the air out the tent fabric itself when we got home but neglected to inspect the inside. I'm pretty sure that a significant amount of water made it into the Stealth tent.

After 2-3 weeks of not opening the tent, I popped it open to start preparing for another trip and immediately realized we had a problem. The entire inside was damp and smelled terrible. Fortunately, all of our gear was easy enough to thoroughly clean or replace where needed (just some pillow cases that we'd made on our own). The big problem was that the mattress was in rough shape as was both the carpet below the mattress and the plywood underlayment. Ugh.

Through much effort we were able to get the mattress back to normal but still have our eyes (and noses) on it. We did, however, end up replacing the carpet and plywood underlayment (which was a good excuse to pick up an M12 rivet gun). I also traced the path of the water to the center of the front of the tent where the tent didn't close enough to make a good seal. Oops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom