IMPLEMENTED -Random thought on making oil filter changes easier with ARB Skids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
With the valve on the oil pan draining the oil is a piece of cake

Changing the filter requires removal of the front skid plate with the ARB System

So a thought, get bjowetts cab with the valve and Drill an access hole into the skid plate. Maybe a round hole with a 4" hole saw??

Either the reaming plate is strong enough if the even of a rock or I could create an access plate that is easily removable

The filter is up several inches above the plate so the socket on an extension and the filter would come right out and the valve would keep it from getting messy

Topics for discussion
1) The skid plate isn't strong enough if you cut a large round hole in it
2) The drain valve may not be situated in a way to make using the valve easy with a small round hole below it
3) Romer, go back to designing spacecraft and leave the modifications to the experts ( Yes I am an Engineer in the space business)

Last edited:
As an engineer you know that placing holes in things that were not designed for holes tends to be a very bad idea. The nice thing is that we can redesign the piece in order to deal with it.... no problem, and we shall discuss further.

The drain valve for the oil cap produces a nice straight controlled stream of oil while draining. Additionally, a nipple can be installed on the valve that allows a drain hose to be utilized.

Keep doing both.

As an engineer you know that placing holes in things that were not designed for holes tends to be a very bad idea. The nice thing is that we can redesign the piece in order to deal with it.... no problem, and we shall discuss further.

The drain valve for the oil cap produces a nice straight controlled stream of oil while draining. Additionally, a nipple can be installed on the valve that allows a drain hose to be utilized.

Keep doing both.

I see you went with Option 3

Lets discuss further :D

Decide on the hole diameter, 4.25 - 4.5"? The cap is about 3.65" OD. Then cut a backing ring of at least the same thickness as the main skid, maybe 6" OD, weld or bolt? Make the cover a thicker than the main skid, maybe 1.5 x t. Diameter should be larger than the backing ring, at least 4 bolts to hold it. Nutserts that extend through the main skid and backing ring would hold it all together if you don't want weld it, and would work well for bolt up even if you do weld. Thoughts?

Decide on the hole diameter, 4.25 - 4.5"? The cap is about 3.65" OD. Then cut a backing ring of at least the same thickness as the main skid, maybe 6" OD, weld or bolt? Make the cover a thicker than the main skid, maybe 1.5 x t. Diameter should be larger than the backing ring, at least 4 bolts to hold it. Nutserts that extend through the main skid and backing ring would hold it all together if you don't want weld it, and would work well for bolt up even if you do weld. Thoughts?

Good plan. I am going to do this mod on the custom skids I built while ago.

I am a lazy person. I will work hard and go to great lengths to make things easier. I only wish I had better metal working skills. Armed with a jigsaw and JB Weld I decided to incorporate this change as part of my Oil Change and swapping out for bjowett's new Oil Filter cap

For some reason my 40 came with a second base for the Tuffy Storage center console. This isnt quite as thick as the skid plate, but seemed to be the best I could find after looking at Home Depot

I noticed all the scrapes and dings were down on the edge and none present where I was cutting, so I figured this should be OK.

I cut a hole in the skid plate after drilling 4 holes to use to start the cutting, careful of a support bracket in the general area.

IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

I then cut a piece out of the Tuffy base bigger than the hole. I used JB Weld on the backside to hold the nuts. If/when they come undone I can access both sides to tighten down. I saw this an an opportunity to see how good JB Weld really is

IMG_0099.JPG

Plenty of access to reach the filter
IMG_0100.JPG

You probably noticed I tried a hole saw at first, but couldn't get it to go thru

Now if I had good metal skills. I would have cleanly cut the hole, provided a rear support like Brian suggested, welded the nuts on and done a cleaner job cutting the cover plate

Overall I am pretty happy with it. Seems like a market for front skid plates with a proper cover design and manufacturing. I would buy one :D

You must really hate pulling those skid plates off for the oil change.

I guess that that part of your skid plate is undamaged is a good sign. Might mean that the JB weld won't be put to the test.

I am a lazy person. I will work hard and go to great lengths to make things easier.

Great line..... Laziness is the mother of invention! I'm diggin' that filter housing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom