I'm just going to say it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do like those little guys. Local friend has two he built. The white one was a recent pickup that had been used at an off-grid island cabin. Toyota axles!

View attachment 3095454

And they’re good for pulling out stuck jeeps

Re: my last post - should have said there’s no *legal* offroading other than a couple areas for quads. We have a select few micro-spots that are accessible, but don’t think I’d take a larger rig.
This looks like one I've seen around, but it's a Sidekick right? The Samuai definitely has some broad based appeal. Former auto shop teacher at JD had one that I got to check out a bit. He would occasionally take it out of Juneau on hunting trips. Local artist Bill Spear has one here during summer. I think he drives or ferries it down to California for the winter, where more adventurious driving possibilities exist. He's always been somewhat eccentric. Now quite well off financially, and well into his 70's, he's driving around town in a lifted blue/green Samurai.

Some offroad enthusiasts I talked with in Haines seem to prefer smaller, lighter rigs for their routes. Older Toyota mini trucks and 4Runners, for instance. There are also a lot of Land Cruisers to be found there, 40's, 60's, 80's and a few Unimogs too. Jeeps? Not so much.

Samurais are basically SxSs with solid axles and a body on frame construction. So yea they’re pretty unstoppable. Lighter and smaller is better off-road in many situations.

And the way I see it, any used 4x4 in the year range we’re talking about is gonna be a moneypit. I don’t care what the badge is. 4WDs tend to get abused and neglected, and parts and labor are often more expensive in terms of time and money.

Can't comment on newer Jeeps but my brother had a 92 Cherokee with the straight 6 and that thing was unstoppable.
Probably more reliable than an 80 series honestly

Last edited:
In one of Matt’s Off-Road recovery vids I watched recently he said to the viewers all you need is an XJ on 31s and you can do 90% of the trails there

Of course he would say that.

A: he is obsessed with xj's

B: he says that because he is trying to make more work for his business.

C: his xj is on 37's and doesn't have any original parts left. Jeep!!!! Just exchange every part.

Lighten up Francis……..

Fraudulent is a big word. Three syllabary .

I don't care what anybody says or thinks. Samurais are the real trail heroes!
1986_Suzuki_Samurai_Cat.jpg
100%! My first ride was a Suzuki SJ410. That rig would go anywhere and it had solid axles to boot. 65mph max speed sucked though with the 4 speed but kept me out of speeding tickets. Pulled out a few Toyota mini trucks with it. Wish I still had it now.
Scan 1.jpeg

This looks like one I've seen around, but it's a Sidekick right?
Yep, there’s a guy with a white jacked up sidekick.

Correction - this white Samurai was supposed to go to Shelter island, but the owner passed, sadly. It was under their house on fritz cove, and had to be driven out via the beach. Locked Toyota axles, top speed 35mph. Sounds fun!

Last edited:
My Jeep group just finished Barrett Lake, Rubicon and Sierra Trek this year, 9 jeeps with only 1 minor trail repair, while my other Yota group with 7 80 series doing just the Rubicon this past weekend and had 12 breakdowns total. Broken track bar, smashed gas tank/fuel delivery issues, punctured brakelines, broken front axles, ball joints, snapped rear axle flange bolts, and bent rear drive shaft.....and i guaranteed you the Jeeps guy are taking way harder lines granted most of them on 40s and 37s w/ V8 swaps
the saying "friends don't let friends drive jeeps" unless their mechanically inclined with a s*** load of tools... I have found to be somewhat true to fact..IMO.. lol

the saying "friends don't let friends drive jeeps" unless their mechanically inclined with a s*** load of tools... I have found to be somewhat true to fact..IMO.. lol
I love H&K, but i have to disagree with your statement above.

My Dog better then you Dog my Dogs better then yours !!! 🤪😝

You guys are killing Me

The best 4X4 every is the one your driving PERIOD so just Enjoy it and lets move on !!

My Dog better then you Dog my Dogs better then yours !!! 🤪😝

You guys are killing Me

The best 4X4 every is the one your driving PERIOD so just Enjoy it and lets move on !!
Arguing is more fun…..

Two Fish, nice cruiser! Sweet color! You’ve clearly made excellent choices in your life. You might be our next president.
Good choices? Slamming money and our most valuable resource, time, in to a crumbling car is a good choice? It’s certainly a choice but a good one???

Good choices? Slamming money and our most valuable resource, time, in to a crumbling car is a good choice? It’s certainly a choice but a good one???
You're just jealous 'cause green Cruisers rule.....:flipoff2:

You're just jealous 'cause green Cruisers rule.....:flipoff2:
I had a green 94. It was a good rig but I had to roll it. The green machine donated parts, that was its destiny. I’ve concluded that white paint on cars is best because white repels heat and no one really knows how dirty the rig is.

Reactions: ppc
Only a brief sidestep from the thread...
I'm glad you posted that article. Been watching MORR for several years now, and heard about this for the first time on a club run a few months ago. I found it hard to believe but had nothing else to go on for info.
Now after reading the article...and contemplating getting in to that sort of recovery business...I've decided the liability is too great and protections for the recovery provider far too small.
Casey LaDelle has a novel approach to his recoveries but you need to be good in front of and behind the camera. Neither of which runs strong in me. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom