Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d remove the heavy wheels while you’re at it to help remove some rotational weight to give drivetrain and suspension components a break......and then give the wheels to me.

Awesome man! I’m very excited to see this next part of the build. Which RTT do you have in mind? I wanna get one too.

Should be fun! First choices at the moment are a Maggiolina Airland or a Columbus Variant. Also considering a James Baroud Discovery Space, Eezi Awn Dart or a Roof Nest. I like the space of an ikamper but I'm not quite sold on it yet.

For the Maggiolina/Columbus, I'm thinking a Medium-Extra Long configuration. Dimensions would be 57"x91"x12". The 100 roof width is about 57ish inches, and the roof length is a little over 95" (don't quote me, I just did a rough tape measurement but forgot to write down the numbers.) That size would give plenty of head room and leave just enough for two adults and two kids in the middle. I'll have to reevaluate when they get older.

Seems like you're covering your bases pretty well! What kind of daily are you thinking about? Sedan? SUV? Truck?

If you wanted to be real meticulous maybe consider replacing the PCV valve & hoses while you're in there. Super easy. You mentioned you replaced the steering rack, did that include the return line back to the reservoir that is a notorious source for leaking? I just bought a replacement for mine but haven't gotten around to changing it out yet.

Good call on the PCV. I did the power steering lines already - they were leaking before the rack.

Not sure yet on the daily. I want something affordable but reliable that I can own from day one and pass down to my kids in 15 years - so at the moment it'll probably be a new Tacoma. Maybe get a white TRD offroad and do a mild build with just a front bumper, wheels, tires lift.

But I've also been looking at Gladiators, Power Wagons, Civic Type Rs, Focus RS, 70 series cruisers, old G Wagen, SAS 1st gen Tacoma, R33 skyline, 1st gen 4Runner, who knows. haha. None of those meet any of my criteria but they're fun. I drove a Gladiator the other day and loved it. Just wish it wasn't 60K for a Rubicon with FCA reliability

I just got a new job with a 3 mile commute so I really don't need a daily...

I’d remove the heavy wheels while you’re at it to help remove some rotational weight to give drivetrain and suspension components a break......and then give the wheels to me.

Haha you got it dude! I considered getting a Tundra just for the fact that I could use the wheels on there.. pretty sick right??

51dd3139-7736-4271-a732-44b5b1dc5a86-jpg.236777

I'll prob just pick up a Tacoma and throw those Works on there, or Volks

@ikarus I'll second the vacuum hoses.

I also suggest the fuel filter depending on your mileage. It is true they rarely fail and you won't be stranded but they are a filter and depending on your mileage it may benefit from a new one. Inexpensive and simple enough job.

@ikarus I'll second the vacuum hoses.

I also suggest the fuel filter depending on your mileage. It is true they rarely fail and you won't be stranded but they are a filter and depending on your mileage it may benefit from a new one. Inexpensive and simple enough job.
That's a good idea. I forgot the charcoal evap canister as well, might do that since I had a fuel boil issue at altitude last year.

That's a good idea. I forgot the charcoal evap canister as well, might do that since I had a fuel boil issue at altitude last year.
I saw more of the fuel boiling thing at this year's HIH then any other year previous. My working unscientific theories are the canisters are getting another year older, so more clogged. I also feel that more ethanol in the gas combined with altitude and high temps inflates the issue.

One thing for you to consider. I work from home so my LX doesn't get regular driving and will sit idle weeks at a time. I don't have the fuel boil issue. Talking with some other folks it seems plausible that letting the truck sit for an extended period allows the canister to dry out a bit. If you are moving to a different daily and your LX will sit between camp trips, you may see a decrease in the fuel boiling.

An additional comment about the RTT. We have a Tepui which has a mattress the width of a queen. It has been great for my wife and I but now that we have a 6 month old sleeping up there with us, I am eyeing the iKamper so we can move to a king size mattress.

I saw more of the fuel boiling thing at this year's HIH then any other year previous. My working unscientific theories are the canisters are getting another year older, so more clogged. I also feel that more ethanol in the gas combined with altitude and high temps inflates the issue.

One thing for you to consider. I work from home so my LX doesn't get regular driving and will sit idle weeks at a time. I don't have the fuel boil issue. Talking with some other folks it seems plausible that letting the truck sit for an extended period allows the canister to dry out a bit. If you are moving to a different daily and your LX will sit between camp trips, you may see a decrease in the fuel boiling.

An additional comment about the RTT. We have a Tepui which has a mattress the width of a queen. It has been great for my wife and I but now that we have a 6 month old sleeping up there with us, I am eyeing the iKamper so we can move to a king size mattress.

That's really interesting - good to know. The ethanol does seem to contribute in my opinion.

Yeah, the iKamper seems cool. Let me know if you buy one, I want to see one in person first! But the space would definitely be nice.

I found this trail spare thread a while back and it seems to have most anything that could cause trouble on the trail. I am working my way up to having all of these spares. If you have most of the PM done then it seems like just having spares for the rest makes sense. The first post was updated to include the items that were recommended throughout the thread.

If you haven't replaced the tensioner and idler pulley bearing that would be a good idea. They are quite cheap. I believe under $10 each according to 2001LC.

The other item that I thought was interesting was keeping the starter contacts as trail spares. This way, worst case scenario, you could rebuild the starter on trail if it goes out.

Last edited:
I found this trail spare thread a while back and it seems to have most anything that could cause trouble on the trail. I am working my way up to having all of these spares. If you have most of the PM done then it seems like just having spares for the rest makes sense. The first post was updated to include the items that were recommended throughout the thread.

If you haven't replaced the tensioner and idler pulley bearing that would be a good idea. They are quite cheap. I believe under $10 each according to 2001LC.

The other item that I thought was interesting was keeping the starter contacts as trail spares. This way worst case scenario you could rebuild the starter if it goes out.

Nice, I appreciate that link!

I mentioned earlier that I had a leak in my air system. I was happy to track it down and realize it was only my air coupler. When I pushed down on it a little, it exploded (in a very small way) when the pressure built up and shot off. I was able to track down a few pieces but I think i've got some small ball bearings floating around my engine bay now.

Usvho25.jpg

1nXhBnA.jpg

I thought the o-ring had gone bad, but it turns out two piece pipe had come loose inside and I think that's where my leak was coming from. When I messed with it, it had just about worked loose on it's own and that was the last straw.

Looks like you can use a flathead on the top and a wrench on the bottom to tighten them up.

YiVpnmq.jpg

Anyway, easy fix. A friend had an extra coupler laying around and gave it to me. Problem solved. I'll have to keep on eye on this one and make sure it stays put together.

Hit some local trails - nice to have lockers back.

Lr05qxN.jpg

lFNAz7i.jpg

Curious if you've hit any desert mud (the really fine, clay type after a rain) with the Coopers. Been generally happy with my k02s but they are useless in that fine mud, no grip at all.

Curious if you've hit any desert mud (the really fine, clay type after a rain) with the Coopers. Been generally happy with my k02s but they are useless in that fine mud, no grip at all.

You know that's the only time I've really been sketched out with these tires. I was out in the desert by myself right after a huge rainstorm in the spring and hit a patch of mud going too fast around a corner (just for the conditions, was probably going 15 on a curve I could hit at 30 when dry) and slid off the road. I was able to get out just fine after throwing it in low, and I'm sure I would have had even better traction if I'd aired down. Pretty slippery getting out though... I was relieved when I made it out and decided to head somewhere with less mud. Wheels were pretty packed up.

I posted these pictures a while ago:

7V1SBSP.jpg

iQFLxrj.jpg

I was alone again, gotta start going with friends, ha. I took a pass over a mountain this last spring. Going up was dry, but once I hit the peak and headed down the northeast slope (shady side) I hit some spots that must have just recently had the snow melt off, plus it had been stormy that day. The trail sloped off to the left and I kept feeling the tail end slide out toward the edge of the road. Didn't love that. I made it out but it was hairy. I actually passed a truck with a/t tires that had completely slid off the road and landed in the forest. The driver just abandoned it there and I assume was going back to pick it up when things dried up.

Anyway, to answer your question, they're passable but I don't love how much I slide around. I'd rather have STT Pro for those conditions - which is what I'll be upgrading to next. For the occasional normal mud they've been fine.

Have you noticed any cupping with those st maxx tires? I had the st maxx on my last car and by the time I hit 30-40k they were terribly cupped and had a ton of road noise. That was with proper inflation, rotation every 5k, and correct alignment. If it wasn't for the cupping I'd probably put them on my LX.

I've got maybe 25-30k on mine now and have had good even wear. I tend to keep my fronts at 36-38 psi and rears at 40. I rotate all 5 every 5k oil change. Road noise is more than the ATs that came off (Nitto Terra Grappler) but I've never once thought the noise was intrusive. Not mentioned by any passengers either.

I will say, they ride like s***, but I attribute that to being E rated.

Super slick clay/mud has been the only thing they weren't awesome in. I try to avoid mud but sometimes, you're SOL and need to go through it. Otherwise, they've been fantastic on road/ off road and have taken my LX almost everywhere I've pointed it.

I've got maybe 25-30k on mine now and have had good even wear. I tend to keep my fronts at 36-38 psi and rears at 40. I rotate all 5 every 5k oil change. Road noise is more than the ATs that came off (Nitto Terra Grappler) but I've never once thought the noise was intrusive. Not mentioned by any passengers either.

I will say, they ride like s***, but I attribute that to being E rated.

Super slick clay/mud has been the only thing they weren't awesome in. I try to avoid mud but sometimes, you're SOL and need to go through it. Otherwise, they've been fantastic on road/ off road and have taken my LX almost everywhere I've pointed it.
Haha. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I think my STT Pros ride surprisingly well. With everything I read here I thought I was in for a horrendous, loud ride with AT Mud tires.

How did you like the Terra Grapplers?

Haha. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I think my STT Pros ride surprisingly well. With everything I read here I thought I was in for a horrendous, loud ride with AT Mud tires.

How did you like the Terra Grapplers?

They're really great on road, decent enough off.

Got it, that makes sense. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and run MT's for the summer and Snows in the winter. I've had a few similar experiences with mud that were not fun.

IMG_3134 (1).JPG

IMG_20190522_105158 (1).jpg

^ Yikes! Personally, I haven't found an A/T tire that works in the mud in this state.

Have you noticed any cupping with those st maxx tires? I had the st maxx on my last car and by the time I hit 30-40k they were terribly cupped and had a ton of road noise. That was with proper inflation, rotation every 5k, and correct alignment. If it wasn't for the cupping I'd probably put them on my LX.

Yeah I've got some cupping on a couple of my tires and they're starting to make some noise. I'm starting to get some excess wear but I think that has to do with having more weight up front.

Got it, that makes sense. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and run MT's for the summer and Snows in the winter. I've had a few similar experiences with mud that were not fun.

View attachment 2082930

View attachment 2082931

Oof those pics give me anxiety. haha. Yeah not much you can do with ATs in Utah mud. I'm leaning toward M/T summer setup / snow or well-siped A/T setup for winter with two sets of wheels.

Trip to Southern Utah this weekend. A friend of mine bought a cheap 100 in need of some love but he's having a ton of fun with it. He's getting to the point where front and rear bumpers would be nice but it's hard to justify when the bumpers cost more than the purchase price of the cruiser! ha

IymV94D.jpg

I have a detachable mobile CB setup cause I don't want to make a permanent setup until I get around to my HAM license, but this works in the meantime.

0pIPZKF.jpg

Dd1ZO4e.jpg

i187wfB.jpg

QCrCpUG.jpg

6i0Vj4j.jpg

NOCyLIY.jpg

u4ZtHeM.jpg

FoxynHG.jpg

Beadlocks and 10 psi work wonders on sand. I was able to just walk up the dunes for the most part. I should have tried 5 psi just to see how it was.

6yvTFuz.jpg

wRztuJE.jpg

SiEWF26.jpg

e48AwXZ.jpg

V4RRua6.jpg

Since I last posted, my commute was cut by 100% and I also had to kick the cruiser out of the garage with the addition of a new project car.

VUlv4EJ.jpg

Now that I do very little daily driving, I decided to try out some M/Ts. I found a killer deal on Toyo M/Ts on black friday and got a set of 5 for $400 off:

oIgi7kD.jpg

I was originally planning to get Cooper STT Pros but had a last minute change of plans when I talked to a friend with an 80. He's gone through several sets of mud tires and changes about once a year with all the offroad driving he does. He loves the Toyos so I figured I'd change it up and see how I like them.

k8sFwsG.jpg

I went with 315/70r17, load range E. Hopefully I don't have any regrets about the upgrade in terms of contact with fenders etc. I guess I can always throw in a body lift if it's annoying.

I know there's a lot of opinions out there on the actual size of 315s vs 35s so I measured and the circumference came out to 110" - which, if my forgotten math skills serve me right, tells me this tire is almost exactly 35" in diameter. I was kind of surprised and was expecting 34". Either way the small difference between this tire and my old 285/75r17 doesn't look too noticeable.

iyWFFwO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom