Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A 70 series would be sick too. I just can’t decide if I’d rather have a 73/74 or a troopy.

Haha now that the economy is looking like it’s gonna tank my 100 isn’t going anywhere. I’m hoping that 80 prices come down a little

Good luck on finding a 75 Troopy man those things are hard to find. If you are going the import route 77 4 door would be easier to source.

Good luck on finding a 75 Troopy man those things are hard to find. If you are going the import route 77 4 door would be easier to source.
I bet. I've seen a couple sick Troopies (troopys?) in the classifieds for $25K+. 77 would be cool as well, and yes, definitely seen a lot more of those. Just depends on if I want a daily driver or not I guess.

I haven't even started the dive into researching the various engine and axle options. Good project for this quarantine I suppose.

I bet. I've seen a couple sick Troopies (troopys?) in the classifieds for $25K+. 77 would be cool as well, and yes, definitely seen a lot more of those. Just depends on if I want a daily driver or not I guess.

I haven't even started the dive into researching the various engine and axle options. Good project for this quarantine I suppose.

Just swing by the Land Cruiser museum and start making the wishlist. I've got to stay out of that place!

A 70 series would be sick too. I just can’t decide if I’d rather have a 73/74 or a troopy.

Haha now that the economy is looking like it’s gonna tank my 100 isn’t going anywhere. I’m hoping that 80 prices come down a little

Read through most of this discussion and I gotta say this reflects a lot of my experience too. My LX isn't built up even close to anything like yours but I still use it to take my family to places I could never dream of going!
BUT - I find that 100 is just not able to keep up with lifted jeeps on any of the serious trails. I have basically bashed in all of the body panels and replaced all of the suspension and driveshafts/CVs etc. It is getting to a point where I am getting fed up with constant maintenance and upkeep required by a 22 year old truck. I keep a spreadsheet of my expenses on the LX so far and I can tell you that money I have sunk into this beat up truck it is at par with a far newer 200 with all the fancy gizmo/creature comforts!

Our discussions at home have been more towards getting a comfortable road vehicle that can tow plus a trail rig (something like a 73/74 series with lockers). I am not convinced that 200 series would be that vehicle since I don't know much of their maintenance needs and the gas consumption is dismal. And a diesel 73/74 isn't exactly cheap or readily available. Plus, I don't even want to think about that 25+ year old truck's maintenance needs!
This is a prime example of first world problems I deal with! 😇

Just swing by the Land Cruiser museum and start making the wishlist. I've got to stay out of that place!
I got notice it is currently closed so you shouldn't have any problem staying away for a bit!

Read through most of this discussion and I gotta say this reflects a lot of my experience too. My LX isn't built up even close to anything like yours but I still use it to take my family to places I could never dream of going!
BUT - I find that 100 is just not able to keep up with lifted jeeps on any of the serious trails. I have basically bashed in all of the body panels and replaced all of the suspension and driveshafts/CVs etc. It is getting to a point where I am getting fed up with constant maintenance and upkeep required by a 22 year old truck. I keep a spreadsheet of my expenses on the LX so far and I can tell you that money I have sunk into this beat up truck it is at par with a far newer 200 with all the fancy gizmo/creature comforts!

Our discussions at home have been more towards getting a comfortable road vehicle that can tow plus a trail rig (something like a 73/74 series with lockers). I am not convinced that 200 series would be that vehicle since I don't know much of their maintenance needs and the gas consumption is dismal. And a diesel 73/74 isn't exactly cheap or readily available. Plus, I don't even want to think about that 25+ year old truck's maintenance needs!

Yup I feel ya for sure. I guess there's no right answer, between the Tacoma/4Runner guys loading up their trucks to 2x the GVWR with unnecessary "overland" accessories and then switching to full size trucks that actually have the weight capacity, to IFS Toyota owners switching to Jeeps or older Toyotas, I guess we're all just learning as we go. I've learned that I like the 100 a lot but my next vehicle will weigh less and probably have a solid front axle.

In an ideal world I'd have a 100 or 200 for long distance trips with dirt roads and easy trails, as well as a work truck like a tacoma or 1500 with street tires or ATs for around town, and something with a solid axle+lockers+37s for harder trails, 70, 80, Jeep, who knows. But at the moment my 100 does all 3 relatively well and I'm very happy with it considering I don't have the money to have those 3 trucks all at once.. ha. But actually also in an ideal world I would buy the cleanest white 100 I could find and SAS it with Trail Tailor's new kit and do a 105 tribute build.

And as far as a spreadsheet, I'm impressed that you've kept that. If I was more conscious of prices, I would have sold this 3 years ago when my o2 sensors went bad, my fan blew up, the brakes seized up and the AC stopped working all in the course of a year, right after doing the timing belt, water pump, heater Ts, rebooting CVs etc etc

Yup I feel ya for sure. I guess there's no right answer, between the Tacoma/4Runner guys loading up their trucks to 2x the GVWR with unnecessary "overland" accessories and then switching to full size trucks that actually have the weight capacity, to IFS Toyota owners switching to Jeeps or older Toyotas, I guess we're all just learning as we go. I've learned that I like the 100 a lot but my next vehicle will weigh less and probably have a solid front axle.

In an ideal world I'd have a 100 or 200 for long distance trips with dirt roads and easy trails, as well as a work truck like a tacoma or 1500 with street tires or ATs for around town, and something with a solid axle+lockers+37s for harder trails, 70, 80, Jeep, who knows. But at the moment my 100 does all 3 relatively well and I'm very happy with it considering I don't have the money to have those 3 trucks all at once.. ha. But actually also in an ideal world I would buy the cleanest white 100 I could find and SAS it with Trail Tailor's new kit and do a 105 tribute build.

And as far as a spreadsheet, I'm impressed that you've kept that. If I was more conscious of prices, I would have sold this 3 years ago when my o2 sensors went bad, my fan blew up, the brakes seized up and the AC stopped working all in the course of a year, right after doing the timing belt, water pump, heater Ts, rebooting CVs etc etc

This conversation hits close to home. I see my 100 as a “this phase of my life” truck. Had a taco, XJ, ZJ, TJ, 4runner, 80, 100, 100..... not sure what’s next but that’s the fun of it I guess.

I’m losing interest in the new bronco bc it lacks a solid front axle (and 3rd row seating). IFS on that truck doesn’t make a lot of sense in the market it’s trying to compete.

I’m not saying I’m giving up and going minivan but more likely going to pick up a daily and dump a significant amount of coin into a sprinter conversion. Maybe a few razors when the kids get older and they’re tired of watching me do all the driving!

But at the moment my 100 does all 3 relatively well and I'm very happy with it considering I don't have the money to have those 3 trucks all at once.

You hit it with this, the 100 feels like "Jack of all trades, master of none" vehicle for me. But it's been a great learning experience to figure out what type of trips I like to do. Next rig will be short wheelbase HD truck of sorts, with a camper so I can do more winter trips comfortably. One can only spend so many zero degree nights in a RTT.

But actually also in an ideal world I would buy the cleanest white 100 I could find and SAS it with Trail Tailor's new kit and do a 105 tribute build.

Just let me know when you're ready @ikarus. Even though it is a '99, I'm sure we could work something out. It's the cleanest '99 you'll find.

There’s no one vehicle that does everything well. Those lifted Jeeps on 37s are atrocious to drive on the highway or around town, they leak water from the top, build quality is complete crap and interior is a joke, much less space inside and ridiculous road noise. Can’t have it all guys. Want a badass “trail” rig, yeah a Jeep is the way to go but a badass trail rig usually means it’s gonna be s***ty at everything else.

Just read the whole thing.

Excellent thread.

Keep up the good work.

You hit it with this, the 100 feels like "Jack of all trades, master of none" vehicle for me. But it's been a great learning experience to figure out what type of trips I like to do. Next rig will be short wheelbase HD truck of sorts, with a camper so I can do more winter trips comfortably. One can only spend so many zero degree nights in a RTT.

That would be sick, especially if you insulated it especially for cold weather camping. I like that Jon Burtt guy's f250 camper setup, if you've seen it on IG. Have you thought about an Arctic Oven tent?

Just let me know when you're ready @ikarus. Even though it is a '99, I'm sure we could work something out. It's the cleanest '99 you'll find.

I'm ready but my wallet is not. I'll definitely keep you in mind though. I just think something like this would be sick

2QlazS2.jpg

There’s no one vehicle that does everything well. Those lifted Jeeps on 37s are atrocious to drive on the highway or around town, they leak water from the top, build quality is complete crap and interior is a joke, much less space inside and ridiculous road noise. Can’t have it all guys. Want a badass “trail” rig, yeah a Jeep is the way to go but a badass trail rig usually means it’s gonna be s***ty at everything else.

Totally. And at least where I live I can't have a short distance only truck. I have a few cool trails within 20 min of home but for the most part you need to go 2-4 hours away for the good stuff. And the 100 is awesome for highway and long distance driving. Though I will say, if you haven't driven/ridden in a JL or JT, you should check them out. They're a lot better inside and all around vs the JK generation, let alone the TJs or older. The fit and finish inside is quite nice, and I drove a Gladiator from Boise - SLC (about 5 hours) and I really didn't hate it. The long wheelbase helps a ton with drivability. Definitely noisier than a cruiser but I drove through a rainstorm and had no problems. Obviously once you add tires and lift bigger than 35"/3" you're gonna see the driving characteristics go out the window.

Though I will say I have been checking out the gladiator forums and it's crazy how many problems they're having - granted it's the first year of a model, but still, it's basically a JL with a bed. They've got misfires, electrical issues, trucks burning down, recalled driveshafts, clutches catching fire and all sorts of other random stuff. Definitely living up to the FCA reputation. Then you come over here to a forum about 20+ yr old trucks and we're having starters go out at 250K miles etc haha

I concour. My 2002 LX is a money pit, and quite needy with constant upkeep. OEM parts ain't cheap either and thats what my 100 gets.

On the conversation of Jeeps. I am not trying to drive a tupperware 4x4. Have had many Jeep JKs as rentals, and JLs. JLs are a touch better but still feels FCA cheap. Sure if they were bargains, I'd rock one, but they are actually quite expensive.

Land Cruisers, anything you mod will cost a thousand to two because of the quality behind it. Jeeps.....well, when you can get bumpers and sliders off Amazon for $200ish......

Last edited:
Didn’t know they were having that many problems with the new Jeeps. I was aware of the windshields cracking (guessing there’s too much chassis flex that causes that). My brother was a service writer at Chrysler/Jeep/Ram when he lived in Ohio. He said every time they had Wranglers come in, they just called them cheap “tents” because they always leaked water Into the cabin. He also said the most money he ever made in service was working for that dealership because all those cars were riddled with problems which equates to a bigger paycheck for the service guys working on commission. They always had a handful of Dodge Darts sitting with broken trannies and similar issues with less than 5k miles. It’s crazy.

@ikarus I've been following your build since I got my 100 and it seems like you and I are headed in opposite directions with our vehicles. I had an 80 for about 13 years and built it to the point of it being more of a trail rig than a daily driver. As mentioned above, it was a "phase of life" change for me (growing family, less technical trails) that drew me to the 100.

I didn't see any mention of one in reading through your thread, but have you owned an 80?

I know you can look the info up anywhere, and there are alot of previous/ current 80 owners in the 100 forum but I felt like I should at least offer my unsolicited 2 cents.

The 80's drawbacks are obvious, but I would say few. Of course the MOST obvious is the engine, basically a stone-aged rock compared with the 100 and more so the 200. But it always MOVED the truck; mind you, I could almost sense the truck rolling it's imaginary eyes at me whenever I felt frisky on the gas pedal to pass someone or thought I could make it up a steep highway incline without the need to turn on my hazards for fear of being rear-ended by a "less encumbered" vehicle.

But I digress - I never felt like in building the 80 I was forcing anything.
35's? - come on please, should have gone 37's. No banging on pinch welds or molding crap into place just to fit 33's. (see @Box Rocket for inspiration).
2.25" lift? - really? we're into 100'ths of an inch now? Lift the 80 as high as you like

The 100 in my opinion can be built really in only 1 way - like an "overland" style rig, which I am finding slightly disappointing as basically every 100 is built the same way.
The 80 can go in several directions - light and fairly nimble for tighter trails all the way to heavy AF.

There are several modern day options as well that have really breathed life into the 80.
- @NLXTACY has a great turbo setup that I wish had been available 5 years ago.
- Although potentially super expensive, several now well-documented V8 transplants.

I doubt if any of this is new to you, but from what I read about your travel style, I think the 80 would be a great clean slate.

I obviously am a man filled with regret for selling my 80, but that truck was just so easy to build, and it never felt like anything was over the top. I had 270k miles on mine and it required less maintenance than my much newer Tundra.

Sorry for the long post, but what else is there to do nowadays?

Sorry for the long post, but what else is there to do nowadays?

He's already alluded to it, but a solid front axle is the answer to all your questions. :) All the improvements 80 -->100 with the versatility advantages of the 80 put back in.

He's already alluded to it, but a solid front axle is the answer to all your questions. :) All the improvements 80 -->100 with the versatility advantages of the 80 put back in.
Or just wait and buy a 105...

Can’t you transfer the bumpers and sliders onto a 105? Or are the frames different too?

As far as I know the Frames are different, so if you have a built 100, a SAS is probably the cheaper route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom