Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My SAS makes mine 105-ish enough for me. :) The frames are different though, yes.
Having seen your cruiser in person a few times. I can attest to how amazing it is. I’m excited for the 100 series guys to get an easier option for sas really soon with trail tailor.

My SAS makes mine 105-ish enough for me. :) The frames are different though, yes.
Do you have a place where you post pictures or a build thread? Did I talk to you a while back about the Dissent rear bumper? I think you were the one I asked a few questions on that bumper.

Or just wait and buy a 105...
No V8 available in a 105... Some cool diesel options of course, but the same exact diesels that you can get (in the US now mind you) in an 80 series.

But I really do think a SAS 100 is a cool compromise for the platform. They can be done very nicely too - like @I Lean did - but I'd worry an off-the-shelf kit is going to be way more complicated and not nearly as clean simply because it has to be built for the masses. Not to mention it'll be $$$$.

@ikarus - if you're interested - there are plenty of "built" 80s in the greater SLC area, and plenty of us that would be more than happy to have you come check them out anytime. With proper gearing (applicable to the 100 of course too) the 80s are not bad at all on power. Not enough for you? - Toss a @NLXTACY turbo on a 1FZ and you've got WAY more power than even a late-model 100.

There’s no one vehicle that does everything well. Those lifted Jeeps on 37s are atrocious to drive on the highway or around town, they leak water from the top, build quality is complete crap and interior is a joke, much less space inside and ridiculous road noise. Can’t have it all guys. Want a badass “trail” rig, yeah a Jeep is the way to go but a badass trail rig usually means it’s gonna be s***ty at everything else.
I've driven both lifted gladiators and wranglers on 37's and found them to be pretty quiet and both drove well (hardtop rubicons)... I know the Jk's weren't as refined, maybe that's what you are thinking? I agree with you that space and overall build quality is not on par with a luxury wagon like a land cruiser though.

I've driven both lifted gladiators and wranglers on 37's and found them to be pretty quiet and both drove well (hardtop rubicons)... I know the Jk's weren't as refined, maybe that's what you are thinking? I agree with you that space and overall build quality is not on par with a luxury wagon like a land cruiser though.
Yes talking about JKs. Everybody’s opinion on ride quality is different. Some think an OME kit on a stock weight 100 rides well...

I edited the title of this thread so everyone knows the build is slowing down and now it's a safe space to discuss whatever is on their mind land cruiser-wise. ha

I concour. My 2002 LX is a money pit, and quite needy with constant upkeep. OEM parts ain't cheap either and thats what my 100 gets.

On the conversation of Jeeps. I am not trying to drive a tupperware 4x4. Have had many Jeep JKs as rentals, and JLs. JLs are a touch better but still feels FCA cheap. Sure if they were bargains, I'd rock one, but they are actually quite expensive.

Land Cruisers, anything you mod will cost a thousand to two because of the quality behind it. Jeeps.....well, when you can get bumpers and sliders off Amazon for $200ish......

Yeah I was looking around Quadratec the other day and was blown away by the amount of bumpers, wheels, accessories etc available in the Jeep market. I think a vast majority of it is chinesium junk but there are a few reputable brands like AEV and ARB of course. I think Jeeps have a much bigger cheap ricer user base which we thankfully don't get with Cruisers with our limited expensive accessories. And yes, the jeeps themselves are quite expensive - 45K for the cheapest Gladiator Rubicon at the moment - which is comparable to if not cheaper than a Tacoma TRD Pro - but I'm not sold on the reliability.

@ikarus I've been following your build since I got my 100 and it seems like you and I are headed in opposite directions with our vehicles. I had an 80 for about 13 years and built it to the point of it being more of a trail rig than a daily driver. As mentioned above, it was a "phase of life" change for me (growing family, less technical trails) that drew me to the 100.

I didn't see any mention of one in reading through your thread, but have you owned an 80?

I know you can look the info up anywhere, and there are alot of previous/ current 80 owners in the 100 forum but I felt like I should at least offer my unsolicited 2 cents.

The 80's drawbacks are obvious, but I would say few. Of course the MOST obvious is the engine, basically a stone-aged rock compared with the 100 and more so the 200. But it always MOVED the truck; mind you, I could almost sense the truck rolling it's imaginary eyes at me whenever I felt frisky on the gas pedal to pass someone or thought I could make it up a steep highway incline without the need to turn on my hazards for fear of being rear-ended by a "less encumbered" vehicle.

But I digress - I never felt like in building the 80 I was forcing anything.
35's? - come on please, should have gone 37's. No banging on pinch welds or molding crap into place just to fit 33's. (see @Box Rocket for inspiration).
2.25" lift? - really? we're into 100'ths of an inch now? Lift the 80 as high as you like

The 100 in my opinion can be built really in only 1 way - like an "overland" style rig, which I am finding slightly disappointing as basically every 100 is built the same way.
The 80 can go in several directions - light and fairly nimble for tighter trails all the way to heavy AF.

There are several modern day options as well that have really breathed life into the 80.
- @NLXTACY has a great turbo setup that I wish had been available 5 years ago.
- Although potentially super expensive, several now well-documented V8 transplants.

I doubt if any of this is new to you, but from what I read about your travel style, I think the 80 would be a great clean slate.

I obviously am a man filled with regret for selling my 80, but that truck was just so easy to build, and it never felt like anything was over the top. I had 270k miles on mine and it required less maintenance than my much newer Tundra.

Sorry for the long post, but what else is there to do nowadays?

Hey it's quarantine right? Great time to discuss cruisers. But yes, totally agree on all points. It is funny how all 100 builds sort of converge to look similar, and yes an 80 would be a pretty awesome option. Haven't owned one but have driven several and have many friends with them. I've been considering it - every now and then a super clean one pops up here in Utah, though the prices are 15-20K which is a little tough. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see if the recession brings down prices at all. Relatively lightweight build with 37s for harder trails and a heavier 100 with 34s and a RTT for long trails would be a pretty sick setup! I think I'd probably regear and accept the slow, I like to keep engine and electronics as stock as possible when building a truck for remote travel.

He's already alluded to it, but a solid front axle is the answer to all your questions. :) All the improvements 80 -->100 with the versatility advantages of the 80 put back in.

I agree. I was talking to a guy over in Heber who has a cruiser shop. Said he's interested in the challenge of a 100 series SAS with matching front and rear 80 axles. Apparently he has a few sets of 94+ full float axles around the shop. Then I would go the 105 route in terms of wheels vs narrow axles and use spacers or super low offset wheels to fill out the width.

My only hang up is that to do a SAS I either need to take it to this dude or do it myself in the garage, both of which means picking up another daily, since my M3 won't quite cut it. A part of me would love, as I mentioned earlier, to start completely fresh, pick up a whole new 100 and make the SAS the first mod...

Or just wait and buy a 105...

Also a good idea, I believe 2023 is the first year for those. Could also do an HDJ81 as Bryson mentioned.

No V8 available in a 105... Some cool diesel options of course, but the same exact diesels that you can get (in the US now mind you) in an 80 series.

But I really do think a SAS 100 is a cool compromise for the platform. They can be done very nicely too - like @I Lean did - but I'd worry an off-the-shelf kit is going to be way more complicated and not nearly as clean simply because it has to be built for the masses. Not to mention it'll be $$$$.

@ikarus - if you're interested - there are plenty of "built" 80s in the greater SLC area, and plenty of us that would be more than happy to have you come check them out anytime. With proper gearing (applicable to the 100 of course too) the 80s are not bad at all on power. Not enough for you? - Toss a @NLXTACY turbo on a 1FZ and you've got WAY more power than even a late-model 100.

Hey I appreciate that man. An 80 really would be awesome, and I would enjoy building one from stock. SAS would also be awesome. I'm interested in Trail Tailor's SAS kit, but I'm wondering if just copying an 80 setup with 80 axles, radius arms, etc etc would be just as good, and try to keep it 100% Toyota and factory serviceable.

Agreed. I'm impressed with their newest stuff. Just not sold on long term reliability. But man every time I see a Gladiator on 37s it gets me thinking

Yes talking about JKs. Everybody’s opinion on ride quality is different. Some think an OME kit on a stock weight 100 rides well...

OME is so funny, in my experience every Toyota guy who's been driving lifted offroad trucks for at least 10+ years will tell you OME rides great, and anyone new(ish) to the scene can't believe how harsh it is and is shocked that it's such a standard lift.

True, compared to my lifted, and fully outfitted 100 on 35's they ride just fine and drive just as good.

Reading through this I was surprised to hear you were looking to possibly sell after such a thoughtful build. But then I remembered I've built and sold four toyotas in the last two years or so (I think I said I would keep each one until it died). The 99 LC I picked up last fall is currently roof rackless and on f5s so if I'm following in your footsteps I don't have long until the itch will return. Cheers on your build, I'm impressed.

Reading through this I was surprised to hear you were looking to possibly sell after such a thoughtful build. But then I remembered I've built and sold four toyotas in the last two years or so (I think I said I would keep each one until it died). The 99 LC I picked up last fall is currently roof rackless and on f5s so if I'm following in your footsteps I don't have long until the itch will return. Cheers on your build, I'm impressed.

Thanks, glad you like it. Yeah, that happens. I'm sure I'm not as quick to go through cars as some but I think I've gone through 9 cars in the last 7 years. It's actually impressive that I've kept this one for almost 4 years now, a new record for me. I will say with this quarantine I drive maybe 20 miles a week now - I got in for the first time in a week and the smell of the old leather made me happy and I remembered how much I like driving this. Probably keeping it for a while.

Thanks, glad you like it. Yeah, that happens. I'm sure I'm not as quick to go through cars as some but I think I've gone through 9 cars in the last 7 years. It's actually impressive that I've kept this one for almost 4 years now, a new record for me. I will say with this quarantine I drive maybe 20 miles a week now - I got in for the first time in a week and the smell of the old leather made me happy and I remembered how much I like driving this. Probably keeping it for a while.
That smell is a subtle warning of where the Cruiser lies on the crazy-hot matrix... You do something she doesn't like (sell her) and she'll steal your toothbrush, kidnap your dog, sleep with your best friend and then laugh while your house burns to the ground... But she's hot!

Picked up a snorkel from @cruiseroutfit -
XmLgycb.jpg

It's been on my mind for a while, since I've modified the fenders and fender liners to fit bigger tires. Much easier for dust to get into the fender mounted intake.

JndOVsb.jpg

Installation went well, nothing too interesting. Used a 4.5" hole saw and a step bit, drilling out the bolt holes to 5/8". Deburred and painted to prevent rust.

sRF8iMp.jpg

The only thing I changed was the A pillar mount. I used @saucebox 's method with magnets:

1W0fuW5.jpg

I found these rare earth magnets on amazon - they measured 60mm x 10mm x 5mm. I super glued two of them to the snorkel pillar mount:

nvwC9sk.jpg

I probably could have gone a little thinner than 5mm but they seem perfect. They're super strong and the snorkel won't budge.

I don't mind drilling into fenders but I'm hoping these hold up and I won't have to drill into the pillar. The only thing I could see happening is slight movements or dust/dirt getting underneath that could scratch the paint.

qZoGIXI.jpg

Zly9vvT.jpg

I'll have to extend my breathers next.

Picked up a snorkel from @cruiseroutfit -
XmLgycb.jpg

It's been on my mind for a while, since I've modified the fenders and fender liners to fit bigger tires. Much easier for dust to get into the fender mounted intake.

JndOVsb.jpg

Installation went well, nothing too interesting. Used a 4.5" hole saw and a step bit, drilling out the bolt holes to 5/8". Deburred and painted to prevent rust.

sRF8iMp.jpg

The only thing I changed was the A pillar mount. I used @saucebox 's method with magnets:

1W0fuW5.jpg

I found these rare earth magnets on amazon - they measured 60mm x 10mm x 5mm. I super glued two of them to the snorkel pillar mount:

nvwC9sk.jpg

I probably could have gone a little thinner than 5mm but they seem perfect. They're super strong and the snorkel won't budge.

I don't mind drilling into fenders but I'm hoping these hold up and I won't have to drill into the pillar. The only thing I could see happening is slight movements or dust/dirt getting underneath that could scratch the paint.

qZoGIXI.jpg

Zly9vvT.jpg

I'll have to extend my breathers next.

To be fair, it was @mudbutt's idea. I'm not clever enough to have figured it out on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom