Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about gray or something to match the two tone.
Hadn't considered that, that might be cool. Manufacturer only offers stainless or black but I could paint match it to the bumper.

Black, or a flecked grey powder coat, similar to the paint colour ( but maybe darker, deliberately not a match)

Stainless will eventually discolour.

Trying to match paint colour could be a swing and a miss though
Didn't think about that with the stainless, I was just swayed by pretty pictures of new installs. haha. Do you see a good amount of old stainless snorkels running around Australia looking haggard?

IMO, I would go with black or some tone of grey.
Agreed. Leaning that way. And if I go black there's an importer here in the US that has them so it would save me time, shipping and customs and all that

Hadn't considered that, that might be cool. Manufacturer only offers stainless or black but I could paint match it to the bumper.

Didn't think about that with the stainless, I was just swayed by pretty pictures of new installs. haha. Do you see a good amount of old stainless snorkels running around Australia looking haggard?

Agreed. Leaning that way. And if I go black there's an importer here in the US that has them so it would save me time, shipping and customs and all that
Can a stainless set up be coated (powder coated, rhino etc…)? I don’t know for sure.

Don't know about haggard, but stainless won't stay bright and shiny new forever.
It will darken and oxidise a bit. It will get little rust spots too, especially if it sees salt
I daily this thing in the winter with road salt so I'm thinking powder coat is the better option

This random stranger on internet says get a stainless steel one. Wax it once in a while and it should last you a lifetime.

Which brand snorkel is that? I'm looking at replacing mine with this style also. My vote is for black.
Radius. Long Range America has long entry black and short entry black or stainless. To get a long entry stainless I'd have to get it from Australia

I saw this Maxflate insert for the cupholder and figured I couldn't go wrong, $30 vs $120 for a cupholder I would never use.

qh5hEYb.jpg

SS7frZo.jpg

Nice to have that space looking a little less haggard, and I'll probably try adding a ram mount for my phone.

Solid construction. Not quite as clean visually as the Wit's End version. Even has some pass throughs for cables. I might want to disassemble my setup and redo it so the carplay cable pops out through there close to the ram mount.

N83tUiy.jpg

looks good, if you have good luck with that headunit let me know, I'll buy one. been having terrible luck with the recent pioneer stuff... boot loops, no boot, mid drive crashes....
I'm about 3 months in with it but I recommend it. No problems like that, pretty flawless performance. What actually drove me to get a new stereo was that the old Pioneer was doing the same to me - rebooting or not even working, and it would only charge my phone occasionally.

The only issue I've had: twice now the volume will just get stuck at whatever it was when I turned it on. I just have to unplug the phone and plug it back in and it works.

I'm about 3 months in with it but I recommend it. No problems like that, pretty flawless performance. What actually drove me to get a new stereo was that the old Pioneer was doing the same to me - rebooting or not even working, and it would only charge my phone occasionally.

The only issue I've had: twice now the volume will just get stuck at whatever it was when I turned it on. I just have to unplug the phone and plug it back in and it works.

Is it this guy? Sony XAV-AX5600

I might snag it, looks like they are $100 off at Crutchfield

That sounds like a great deal. Mine is actually the Sony XAV-AX5500. It was discontinued at Crutchfield but you can still find them on Amazon for a little over $300. The only difference between 5500 and 5600 as far as I could tell is the addition of an HDMI port, which I'll never need. So I saved $150. But if you can get that for $350 or so that's a no brainer.

Love it! Excited to get my 4" intake in there and start tuning. How are you liking yours?
I love mine. I’d prolly catch abunch of s*** on this board, but I just drive mine to the gym and back every morning with the occasional hunting trip thrown in there.
That FMIC is CRUCIAL to entering these Houston highways though. It was an absolute slug before.

Running a XAV-AX3250 in mine. Agreed with the pioneer thing, a DMH-W2770NEX I had in a SC300 decided to randomly reboot and loop.
Spring for a XAV-AX6000 if you can. Really awesome wireless unit with slightly better useability over the older XAV design.

Read thru your entire thread bc I have the same truck/same color except its a 95.

Random question...I have that same stereo wiring harness. I have yet to hook mine up. It bypasses the factory amp no problem? just splice it together the way you hooked yours up?

While were on the electronic topics...any idea what circuit/wire runs that annoying back up beeper inside the dash?

I was on the fence on which exhaust to go with. I'm going to pull the trigger and order the same one you did. Seems like the best option.

Keep up the good work. You're way ahead of me

Last edited:
Read thru your entire thread bc I have the same truck/same color except its a 95.

Random question...I have that same stereo wiring harness. I have yet to hook mine up. It bypasses the factory amp no problem? just splice it together the way you hooked yours up?

While were on the electronic topics...any idea what circuit/wire runs that annoying back up beeper inside the dash?

I was on the fence on which exhaust to go with. I'm going to pull the trigger and order the same one you did. Seems like the best option.

I promise you will be very satisfied with the Torqit option. I followed ikarus’s lead and could not be happier. I think there are 2 slightly different models of the exhaust however. One of the 2 is more LOUD and maybe due to colder temps, the turbo whistle is much more noticeable.

Yes, the stereo wiring harness is easy. Plugs right into the factory wiring. Just make sure to unplug the factory amp (or remove it entirely if you want).

Not sure on the beeper. I've wanted to get rid of it too but haven't dug into it yet - if I remember right I read somewhere that the beeper is on the back of the gauge cluster. I should have checked while I had it out.

And yes I still like the Torqit exhaust. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom