Ignition key can pull out of tumbler while in drive (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I've searched and cannot find reference to the situation I experienced last night. I was able to pull out the ignition key while the gear selector is in DRIVE.

- Is this a symptom of a worn out ignition tumbler? (LC80 has 2865K miles on it)

- I tried a new key, same condition, tried another new key, same condition.

or, is there a failed switch that will let the key to be removed while in DRIVE.

This is a very dangerous situation and I want to correct immediately.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Craig

Yes, new key that was never used when LC was first delivered. Regardless of key, it will pull out easily when in drive mode.

there is a "key interlock solenoid" on the key cylinder, it is an external solenoid that is replacable it is controlled by the shift lock ECU, this is the same ECU that prevents the gear shifter from moving when you do not have your foot on the brake,

i would start with the fuses, on a 96 the 15A CIG, 15A ECU-IG and 10A STOP fuees are involved

then check the solenoid wiring and shift lock ECU

Yes, new key that was never used when LC was first delivered. Regardless of key, it will pull out easily when in drive mode.

quick verification question, you mean you can rotate the key to off and remove it with the gear selector in drive correct? you don't mean you can pull the key out in the running position?

the later would indicate a worn key cylinder

Why is it dangerous? My 60 had a worn out lock cyl that enabled you to remove the key while driving. I'd take it out sometimes while wheeling to eliminate the banging keyring. It may it harder to restart if stalled but not a big deal. In an 80, pretty tough to stall with the auto tranny.

While LC is running and in drive key cannot be removed.

Turn off car, while in DRIVE, key can be removed.

Sounds like after 285K the tumbler is worn.......

While LC is running and in drive key cannot be removed.

Turn off car, while in DRIVE, key can be removed.

Sounds like after 285K the tumbler is worn.......

nope not worn, if you can rotate it all the way to off, err actually I think it is lock where the key comes out then that is the solenoid not dooing its thing

check the fuses, after that I would pull covers and the solenoid, maybe it is just stuck a little lube might free it up, it is a little white plastic and cad plated steel (gold color) box on the bottom of the key cylinder. held in with two screws.

diagram

Attachments

• 112 SHIFT LOCK .pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 618
Why is it dangerous? My 60 had a worn out lock cyl that enabled you to remove the key while driving. I'd take it out sometimes while wheeling to eliminate the banging keyring. It may it harder to restart if stalled but not a big deal. In an 80, pretty tough to stall with the auto tranny.

My 88 is the same way...I find it handy as s*** for all the above reasons. I love being able to take the key out, run inside for forgotton item, all the while not turning off the truck.

That's just me though...

My 88 is the same way...I find it handy as s*** for all the above reasons. I love being able to take the key out, run inside for forgotton item, all the while not turning off the truck.

That's just me though...

If it is just you driving your cruiser that is fine, if the wife or kids or other people less in tune with your cruiser drive it they can leave the vehicle with it not in park, picture the wife parking on a sloped driveway stepping out the door purse and groceries in hand she takes her foot of the brake and is suddenly dragged under the open door as the cruiser rolls back.

That is a fair scenario to consider. I have seen my wife do stuff that defies comprehension.

Thank you. I will check the solenoid and the fuses. Last night, I inadvertently pulled into my driveway, not thinking......stopped the car, turned off ignition with the car still in DRIVE mode, pulled key out.

Closed garaged door, walked into house.....heard huge bang!!!!! in the still of the night. Opened garage, looked around, nothing had fallen. Looked in driveway......no LC....!!! It rolled out of the driveway, across the alley and into neighbors pole fence. Fence stopped LC from going further into their yard/garage/cars Pole fence damage $500.....LC no damage.

Time to find out why this happened. I know I'm not the first to experience this situation. It could have been much worse.

Thanks again for the tips! I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Craig

If it is just you driving your cruiser that is fine, if the wife or kids or other people less in tune with your cruiser drive it they can leave the vehicle with it not in park, picture the wife parking on a sloped driveway stepping out the door purse and groceries in hand she takes her foot of the brake and is suddenly dragged under the open door as the cruiser rolls back.

Or in the case of flopping your rig and trying to turn it off! This happened last year to a friend in his 1st gen 4runner, light flop and keys fell out of the ignition. Scramble to find your keys with your truck on its side.

Time to find out why this happened. I know I'm not the first to experience this situation. It could have been much worse.

Craig

I am not trying to come across as harsh but this could have been prevented with the use of the parking brake.

I agree you need to get this fixed but the parking brake likely would have saved you the costs incurred for the property damage.

Hopefully it is as easy as changing a fuse. Good luck

Totally 100% agree with the parking brake. I have always used the parking brake since I took home the LC from the dealer in 1995. Just happened this one time..... However, parking brake or not, it is time to find the root cause of the problem/condition and correct immediately.

I'm hearing from other Toyota owners that are experiencing the same condition regardless of year/make/model of their Toyota product. Some have found worn tumblers, others have found fuses. In my case so far, all fuses are good. I will have time this coming weekend to dig in deeper and see what the problem really is. I plan to document with pictures as well.

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

Worn out ignition tumbler will allow key removal without the cylinder being in the LOCK position. Get a new one. Have it re-coded to match a fresh key that's cut by code. The new cylinder won't be worn out like the old one and won't allow the key to be removed without it being in the locked position.

Fwiw a heavy key ring will wear out the ignition tumbler more quickly. Leave just the car key, single house key, and the keyless entry clicker on your key chain! Put all those other keys on a separate ring so that you don't have pounds of extra weight sawing away at your ignition tumbler.

...I'm hearing from other Toyota owners that are experiencing the same condition regardless of year/make/model of their Toyota product. Some have found worn tumblers, others have found fuses...

The difference between worn tumblers and an electrical issue can be determined easily by answering a question that I believe was already asked in a different way. Does the key return to the "Lock" position with the transmission out of Park? If so, there is a problem in the lockout portion of the shifter/ignition mechanism. Can the key be pulled out in any ignition position? If so, worn tumblers or ignition cylinder should be addressed.

Answer these questions, and you will be closer to an answer, and you will get better advice on what to look for. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom