If you're using a WIX oil filter read this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been reading this thread on and off. Probably read through the full thing a year ago and I can’t remember, but.

Has anybody seen/heard/read anything about Wix filters on other engines experiencing the same demise?
Engine failure is expected and not researched in those. 😉

Anything that uses a Motorcraft FL1A fits that category, so pretty broad sample. Jeep 4.0, various common Fords, ...

Slightly off topic,

I have seen lots of problems from low quality aftermarket parts. Exhaust, ignition and cooling systems. Cheap cats causing repeated 420 codes, cheap igniters causing misfires and cheap cooling system parts causing hot running.

Due to this we do not install cheap parts in my shop. OEM and to stand behind an engine build for example, we need to see what oil filters have been used and how often the oil was changed.

Cheers

Slightly off topic,

I have seen lots of problems from low quality aftermarket parts. Exhaust, ignition and cooling systems. Cheap cats causing repeated 420 codes, cheap igniters causing misfires and cheap cooling system parts causing hot running.

Due to this we do not install cheap parts in my shop. OEM and to stand behind an engine build for example, we need to see what oil filters have been used and how often the oil was changed.

Cheers

Totally get that, but folks were not buying Wix filters to save money, most paid more than what an OEM filter cost. The available OEM filter is not built as well as the old Toyota Japanese filters. I know of no failures of the replacement filters, so they could well be fine. Wix was thought to be a premium filter, we now know it is not and has a design problem that has caused several engine failures.

Another trashed motor in the shop. Looks like oil starvation from the noise and cam caps. Oil in the pan was full of bearing material. Pulled the Napa gold/ wix that was on it and guess what. View attachment 2524714
The other failed one from a few year ago appears to have similar valve issues.
View attachment 2524731

FWIW thats exactly what mine looked like. Mann hummel rep came to my house, looked at the filter, the found chunks of orange valve IN my oil cooler, etc.
They took it, tested it and it came back at like 5GPM, completely failing.
They stated the filter was run too long and it didnt fail.
The filter had 500 miles on it.
pretty much told me to GTFO.
Some have gotten them to pay for a new motor. Not sure how.

Edit added photos
DSCN0671.JPG

DSCN0670.JPG

Last edited:
Good review of the basics of oil filter tech, the embedded video
has a nice discussion of filter efficiency, etc, but also talks about how the internal PSI difference between inlet and outflow causes the bypass valve to open.

Last edited:
Totally get that, but folks were not buying Wix filters to save money, most paid more than what an OEM filter cost. The available OEM filter is not built as well as the old Toyota Japanese filters. I know of no failures of the replacement filters, so they could well be fine. Wix was thought to be a premium filter, we now know it is not and has a design problem that has caused several engine failures.
How do you know the -yzzd3 is not built as well?

How do you know the -yzzd3 is not built as well?

It’s been discussed enough, if you’re interested it’s a fairly easy search away. I would and sometimes do still use them, so not overly concerned.

It’s been discussed enough, if you’re interested it’s a fairly easy search away. I would and sometimes do still use them, so not overly concerned.
I’ve read plenty on oil and filters over the years and on sites where there are engineers doing the talking. A dissection of a -yzzd3 reveals far better quality and half again more filter media than filters that size and twice as expensive. I came to conclusion that if Toyota will put these filters on during dealership maintenance then they must be good enough when the OCI is kept to owners manual recommendations.

I’ve read plenty on oil and filters over the years and on sites where there are engineers doing the talking. A dissection of a -yzzd3 reveals far better quality and half again more filter media than filters that size and twice as expensive. I came to conclusion that if Toyota will put these filters on during dealership maintenance then they must be good enough when the OCI is kept to owners manual recommendations.

To each there own. I was strictly talking about the old, discontinued, Japanese made Toyota oil filters that were so coveted and three to five times more expensive than the Thai built YZZD3. I will concede the YZZD3 is "good enough" for your needs if that is somehow going to end this...:meh:

They YZZD3 was developed by Brian Toyota. The illegitimate son of the Toyota family. He stole Kichiiro Toyoda's underwear, determined to make a genuine Toyota filter better than the family could.
When Kichiiro found out, he was so proud of the achievement that he granted OEM status to the YZZD3 and Brian became a part of the family tree.

To each there own. I was strictly talking about the old, discontinued, Japanese made Toyota oil filters that were so coveted and three to five times more expensive than the Thai built YZZD3. I will concede the YZZD3 is "good enough" for your needs if that is somehow going to end this...:meh:
If you want a better filter you need to move away from ordinary cellulose filter media. Was the coveted Japanese made filter cellulose or glass media? I’ve asked on here before if anyone knows it’s filtration specs and I have yet to get a response. Toyota does not make oil filters and if the filter says Toyota on it, they approve of it no matter where it was manufactured. Used oil analysis doesn’t lie and could prevent further proliferation of filter debates on car forums but people would rather debate.

crack a cold one and watch. If you have seen this enjoy one anyway. I am running a WIX on the LC, Yamaha (which who knows makes) on the OB 115 4 stroke, K&N on the Harley and I guess it all is okay?!? Reading most of this post reminds me of when you thought you found the right tent, sleeping bag, rifle, handgun, cooler, ammunition etc to purchase until you stop to read the one and two star reviews making you doubt your choice. Very sorry for those who have experienced catastrophic events and most likely I will not sleep well tonight after running into this one.

I had a wix filter on my 2f. I noticed my 40 took forever to build pressure. So I swapped it out for a toyota filter and it's fine now. Fortunately I run tribodyne oil, its supposed to be good at providing film protection for a time without pressure.

Did you notice any difference running the Tribodyn? Not much out there on it, but I have been curious. Some say not much difference others say after 1k or so miles things start to smooth out. I can't quiet stomach a $160 oil change yet, but who knows.....

WIX and Napa Gold the same?

after reading this i'm just going OEM....

I will never, and have never, failed to see the charm in aftermarket oil filters. I run factory filters in my Toyotas, Mopars, boat, and even my lawn mower.

A lot less finger-pointing when a rod launches its self out through the oil pan. :meh:

Did you notice any difference running the Tribodyn? Not much out there on it, but I have been curious. Some say not much difference others say after 1k or so miles things start to smooth out. I can't quiet stomach a $160 oil change yet, but who knows.....
I noticed no difference. I read up on it and chose it based on what I read. Here is a quote from a guy that tests motor oils. He says it's got the highest psi protection rating of the oils he tested without chlorine. Amsoil signature series came in next...

5W30 Tribodyn, synthetic = 135,434 psi
This oil has no API certifications, but the bottle claims that the oil meets the API SN specs. The bottle also says do NOT use this as break-in oil, and also that this oil is NOT recommended for wet clutch applications. It also cautions to shake the bottle well before use. NOTE: I always thoroughly shake every bottle of oil before performing my Engineering Torture Test on it. This oil is made in the U.S.A, and was tested summer 2020.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. However, this is one of those rare motor oils that produced an increase in its wear protection capability at higher temperature. It produced 143,801 psi at 275*F, which was up 6% from its 230*F value. And even at that elevated temperature, this much hotter and thinner oil was of course still in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 280*F.
At the time of this writing, I had tested 240 motor oils. And this oil produced the highest wear protection psi values I have ever seen from a motor oil just as it comes, right out of the bottle. Very impressive for an oil that few people have even heard of. However, it fell wildly short of the wear protection capability that this maker claimed it produced in a European University wear protection capability test. In that test, they claimed 5W30 Tribodyn street oil produced 54 times, yes 54 times as much psi as 0W40 Amsoil Signature Series oil. Of course a claim like that is totally absurd, and insults our intelligence. As you can see just below, Amsoil Signature Series oils were the highest ranked oils of all the oils I had tested, until I did this test on 5W30 Tribodyn synthetic oil. And the Tribodyn actually produced only slightly better psi numbers than Amsoil. Buyer beware of blatant false advertising.
3. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true.

FWIW

***** Bottom Tier WORST, Grade D = Poor
Toyota # 90915-YZZD1
Made in Thailand.
Outer casing wall thickness = .016″
This filter holds only about .36 of a quart of oil.
Its filter media provides an impressive 160 square inches of filtering surface area, for such a small filter. But, the filter media did NOT have any end plates at all. They just glued the ends of the pleats together, to make this filter as cheap as they possibly could. Therefore, the pleats are so squeezed together, that they form what you could call double thick “blades”, rather than separated “V” shapes. All that will result in increased and unwanted restriction to flow. This filter does have a proper perforated metal center tube, but it is not sealed to the media anywhere. So, that allows the possibility of dirty oil getting past and into the engine without being filtered. It also has a key design feature that is not good. It has a cheap plastic bypass valve assembly located at the bottom of the filter, where debris could be picked up and pumped through the engine every time the bypass opens. Overall, this is among the LOWEST quality designed and constructed oil filters I have seen.

***** Top Tier BEST, Grade A+ = Excellent
Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) # CM-6731-FL820
Ford Motorcraft # FL-820S
Ford Motorcraft # FL-500S
**** Grade A- = Excellent
Wix # 51348 (Older Standard version)
Mopar # MO-409
**** Grade B = Good
WIX# 51348 (Newer current 2020 Standard Version, with no change to the part number) Its grade dropped here because of lower quality control, which resulted in the filter media not being well glued to the end caps at all locations. And with all things considered, it only has this grade, “IF” it has the desirable upper bypass valve design as evaluated here.

***** Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE, Grade F = Failed
Royal Purple Superior Protection Extended Life # 10-47 (Newer Current Version in 2020. A running change was made without changing the part number.) The design of this cheapened oil filter is so bad, that I would NOT put it on one of my own engines, even if they paid me to do it. BUYER BEWARE!!!

FWIW

***** Bottom Tier WORST, Grade D = Poor
Toyota # 90915-YZZD1
Made in Thailand.
Outer casing wall thickness = .016″
This filter holds only about .36 of a quart of oil.
Its filter media provides an impressive 160 square inches of filtering surface area, for such a small filter. But, the filter media did NOT have any end plates at all. They just glued the ends of the pleats together, to make this filter as cheap as they possibly could. Therefore, the pleats are so squeezed together, that they form what you could call double thick “blades”, rather than separated “V” shapes. All that will result in increased and unwanted restriction to flow. This filter does have a proper perforated metal center tube, but it is not sealed to the media anywhere. So, that allows the possibility of dirty oil getting past and into the engine without being filtered. It also has a key design feature that is not good. It has a cheap plastic bypass valve assembly located at the bottom of the filter, where debris could be picked up and pumped through the engine every time the bypass opens. Overall, this is among the LOWEST quality designed and constructed oil filters I have seen.

Mopar # MO-409
**** Grade B = Good
WIX# 51348 (Newer current 2020 Standard Version, with no change to the part number) Its grade dropped here because of lower quality control, which resulted in the filter media not being well glued to the end caps at all locations. And with all things considered, it only has this grade, “IF” it has the desirable upper bypass valve design as evaluated here.

***** Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE, Grade F = Failed
Royal Purple Superior Protection Extended Life # 10-47 (Newer Current Version in 2020. A running change was made without changing the part number.) The design of this cheapened oil filter is so bad, that I would NOT put it on one of my own engines, even if they paid me to do it. BUYER BEWARE!!!
Wow. Thanks. Looks like im going to a different filter. I didnt read that before.

Mopar # MO-409

So these oil filters will fit on a 1fzfe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom