If you're using a WIX oil filter read this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is good information.

Wondering if the filter with the slow flow, low psi, had a malfunctioning bypass valve?? The Toyota filter suddenly jumped up in PSI; could the bypass valve have opened, allowing the oil to bypass the filter media??

Not really sure; from other posts on here it seems as though it could either be a bypass valve not opening or a stuck anti-drain-back valve that doesn't even allow for oil to flow into the filter.

I suspect you are spot on w/ regards to the toyota filter. Cold, heavy weight oil would cause the filter bypass valve to open and register as fairly high pressure.

I have yet to decide if I'm going to try and send the filter into napa for a warranty claim or if I'll just forgo that and cut into the filter and see if I can tell what failed.

Quick update on my dead engine. Hooked up an oil pressure gauge with the napa gold filter that was on there when the engine died....it built pressure very slowly and then topped off at about 4psi with cold 15w40 oil in it.

Swapped in a yzzd4 and pressure built very quickly and topped out at about 65psi on a cold engine.

No apparent/visible defect in the napa/wix oil filter. Haven't yet determined if I'll try to send in to Wix/Napa or not deal with the hassle.

Ran engine about 4 seconds or so with the napa filter and it built to about 4 psi before I shut it off. The toyo filter built to about 35psi in the same 4 seconds, and then maxed at 65psi as I ran it for a bit longer.

So, a quick bump to the top that these filters may be more likely than others to kill your engine...order up some Toyota filters before its too late!

In terms of the overall failure, I would take most of the blame as I didn't R/R the oil pressure gauge which never really did all that much. There were no signs of knocking or low pressure until something let loose all at once and lost power. So, in retrospect I should have 1.) Run a different filter and 2.) Ensured that the oil pressure gauge was at least functioning as best it can. For 28 bucks on amazon even a beck arnley replacement pressure sender would have done more than my old original one.

View attachment 2157489

Napa filter (4 second run time up to 4psi)

Toyo Filter (4 second run time at about 35psi, at 8 seconds max at ~65psi)

The history on this thread seems to indicate that making a claim with NAPA or WIX just means they will throw away the evidence and tell you they aren't responsible. It would be nice to see someone take this a lot farther, get a third party evaluation performed, invite NAPA/WIX to the party, and then if the results prove that the filter is bad, take them to court to collect. If done in small claims court, the cost to do all that would be minimal but the time investment significant.

@sbman agreed would be cool if someone were able to do that. For me, I don't have any record of the filter purchase and don't meet the letter of their warranty, namely submitting within 30 days of failure. So, I am probably out of luck in that regard. I would however be willing to try to send the filter to get analyzed by 3rd party if it was reasonable cost just to see what happened. Anyone know of a company that does this? Quick search didn't turn up much.

So with the 51515 off the table, are y’all just using the YZZD3, sourcing the OG Toyota large filters at a reasonable cost, or is there an aftermarket brand that we can trust?

I ordered a case of the YZZD3s for the land cruisers and a case of D1s for my wife's car. They are perfectly good filters. Search around on Amazon but a case of filters brings the price to about $4.50 each with free shipping.

I got this response from Blackstone Labs:

Good Morning,
Yes, we do analyze oil filters.
The cost for a pleated filter is $50 and the cost for a whole filter is $75.
Let us know if you need anything else.
Thanks and have a good day!

I still have my filter (drained) but otherwise intact so I'm tempted to spend the money just to see what the issue was with my specific filter. If I come up with the extra $75 I'll post up their findings.

Linking this here for consistency.

Good public service announcement.

Now we just need someone (@NLXTACY) to design/build a plug and play audible low oil pressure alarm for our trucks.

Now we just need someone (@NLXTACY) to design/build a plug and play audible low oil pressure alarm for our trucks.

Yup, a super bright RED light that illuminates like a supernova on your dash with an air raid siren type alarm would be nice.

Yup, a super bright RED light that illuminates like a supernova on your dash with an air raid siren type alarm would be nice.
No disrespect to what Joey can do, but isn't this a better option here?
2020-04-11 00.14.19.png

Last edited:
Another trashed motor in the shop. Looks like oil starvation from the noise and cam caps. Oil in the pan was full of bearing material. Pulled the Napa gold/ wix that was on it and guess what.
9EF8E166-89AD-46AC-B7D4-C84CEEB27718.jpeg

The other failed one from a few year ago appears to have similar valve issues.
E24C2B65-E955-4B19-BFF2-7AECE18E0DB7.jpeg

You can do that already with an Auber Gauge. I run one for my Trans Temp and Oil Pressure. The gauge can be set for min/max settings and will display a warning light on the gauge when those parameters are met. Or you can add a 'buzzer' as I did also.

1813A.jpg
Guages3.jpg
Guages4.jpg
Oil pressure.jpg

Trollhole: are you bagging the defective filter in a sealed/dated/signed bag, sending it off to the manufacturer for evaluaton?

Another trashed motor in the shop. Looks like oil starvation from the noise and cam caps. Oil in the pan was full of bearing material. Pulled the Napa gold/ wix that was on it and guess what. View attachment 2524714
The other failed one from a few year ago appears to have similar valve issues.
View attachment 2524731

Suck. My hypothesis is/was that the Anti-Drain-Back valve is impeading flow of oil into the filter. From my reasoning, there are really only two failure mechanisms in the filter that could possibly do this:
1. The ADBV jams/becomes stiff or brittle and does not allow for sufficient oil to move into the filter.
2. The bypass valve fails closed AND the filter is so clogged that it can not allow sufficient oil flow through.

I just don't see #2 happening. That would have to be such a dirty and clogged filter (in an engine that is known to run easy on oil) that a pump and bypass valve that runs at around 70 psi couldn't force enough oil through the filter media to keep the engine alive. I noticed a difference of about 65 psi difference just in changing the filter between failed wix and toyota. I could see a somewhat clogged filter decreasing from say 70 psi to 50 or 40 or something...but not all the way down to 5psi.

Looks like in the picture part of the ADBV is coming apart? Or are you seeing something deeper in the filter in the bypass mechanism? I had wondered if maybe wrong material is used for the ADBV and when immersed in oil they become more brittle/less flexible to the point where part of it just jams in there...or maybe a part of it detaches and is unable to move/allow oil flow?

I did send my filter to Blackstone. They don't do mechanical failure analysis of filters normally, but did mine as a one off. Nothing was immediately apparent to their tech so if you are sending somewhere to try and get answers, I'd maybe look elsewhere.

if you are gonna keep it, interested to see how pliable the valve is compared to a new one.

Trollhole: are you bagging the defective filter in a sealed/dated/signed bag, sending it off to the manufacturer for evaluaton?

No considering they manufacture the filters about a couple hours away they can come see me.

No considering they manufacture the filters about a couple hours away they can come see me.

Tell Wix they lost another 1515 guy from Napa now.

Too much $hit has come from these, I’ll just grab a few filters both for the 1FZ & 3UR when I hit the stealership.

I did 1515’s for the last 2 decades, but now I’ve just heard too much crap on WIX.

‘Yota filters never seem to generate these conflicts, so screw Wix.

I’m out, Wix.

The real ones are probably less money anyway. :meh:

I have been reading this thread on and off. Probably read through the full thing a year ago and I can’t remember, but.

Has anybody seen/heard/read anything about Wix filters on other engines experiencing the same demise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom