Idiot Youtuber Cant Get Front Runner Jerry Can To Stop Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wastingtimeinthewoods.com

Ive been posting videos on my GX and related stuff over on the GXOR thread for a while. I thought Id give anyone who follows this forum reason to make fun of me too. I’d love to hear what sort of water cans you all are using and the hacks to make them useable. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
I hate containers that leak also.

Thanks for sharing @jakemccurdy , I was considering getting that same container but I guess I will get a Scepter for my water can. Very well done on the video.

That pretty much summarizes the full extent of my expertise.
I use Waterbricks for transporting my addional water and Rotopax for extra fuel and both use a flat style seal as opposed to the o-ring type. Both perform very well as far as leaks are concerned. I see that Front Runner uses an o-ring and have watched your video and it seems to me that perhaps you're overtightening the caps. Logic would seem to have us believe that mashing that o-ring tighter would seal better. But, I believe what's actually happening is the o-ring is actually twisting and that happens at an inconsistant rate that leaves intermittent gaps between the surface of the can and the o-ring channel in the lid.

Try this: Completely remove the cap of your water container and pop the o-ring from its channel. Inspect it and be sure it is not damaged or deformed from excessive force. Replace it if its not consistantly round or if it has any burrs or imperfections. I believe a well stocked hardware store will stock a selection of o-rings. Now, once you replace a good o-ring back into the channel in the cap, be sure its setting evenly in the channel. Now gently screw the cap on until the o-ring makes contact with the can surface. Then slowly tighten maybe another (approx) 10 degrees of rotation. Now give it your tip test.

I use Waterbricks for transporting my addional water and Rotopax for extra fuel and both use a flat style seal as opposed to the o-ring type. Both perform very well as far as leaks are concerned. I see that Front Runner uses an o-ring and have watched your video and it seems to me that perhaps you're overtightening the caps. Logic would seem to have us believe that mashing that o-ring tighter would seal better. But, I believe what's actually happening is the o-ring is actually twisting and that happens at an inconsistant rate that leaves intermittent gaps between the surface of the can and the o-ring channel in the lid.

Try this: Completely remove the cap of your water container and pop the o-ring from its channel. Inspect it and be sure it is not damaged or deformed from excessive force. Replace it if its not consistantly round or if it has any burrs or imperfections. I believe a well stocked hardware store will stock a selection of o-rings. Now, once you replace a good o-ring back into the channel in the cap, be sure its setting evenly in the channel. Now gently screw the cap on until the o-ring makes contact with the can surface. Then slowly tighten maybe another (approx) 10 degrees of rotation. Now give it your tip test.
I did try not giving it the caveman crank down a couple times thinking the same thing. Same result but I didn’t thoroughly test. I got the third one so I’ll incorporate your advice into my testing for the follow up video. Thanks!

Ive been posting videos on my GX and related stuff over on the GXOR thread for a while. I thought Id give anyone who follows this forum reason to make fun of me too. I’d love to hear what sort of water cans you all are using and the hacks to make them useable. Thanks for checking it out!

We own two of these, unfortunately.

- both leak at the spigot and cap
- both spigots are difficult to open and close; my wife cannot operate them
- both contained plastic shavings upon delivery

Good idea, terrible execution. We are replacing ours with Sceptor.

We own two of these, unfortunately.

- both leak at the spigot and cap
- both spigots are difficult to open and close; my wife cannot operate them
- both contained plastic shavings upon delivery

Good idea, terrible execution. We are replacing ours with Sceptor.
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for chiming in though as I'm feeling like less of an idiot now. If you had a minute to pop that comment into the YT comments section that would help others know it's not just an isolated issue. Either way I appreciate you taking a look. Thanks!

I've got a conclusion on both the Front Runner Jerry Cans and North Face warranty videos ready to shoot, just haven't had time. I also have the Smittybilt and onboard air system installed and just need to write it up and shoot it. My 5 year old came back home for distance learning last week so it's been tough to find time. Sorry, COVID sucks. I Should have 2-3 new videos posted by the end of the year though. I really appreciate you subscribing. I'll be sure to post it here when I get the time to get them shot.

I own two of these. No problems.

41167983-b9b3-426c-87b4-77e811e3476b

I have four of these in the 7-gallon flavor ('Reliance Aquatainer'), based on them being the standard choice by my department in undergrad, which takes ~50 students ~3500 miles over 6 weeks of mostly dispersed camping out of vans every year in Field Camp, and apparently they've always been happy with them. Note that the handles slot into a dent in the bottom of the next jug, so you can also stack them vertically if you have them contained on the sides (or don't take curves too fast).

Never any leaks, but I also don't make a habit of filling them and keeping them on their sides, so it's more a testament to the cube design than how good the cap is. I've definitely had a little splash here and there from the vent not being screwed shut before handling, but that's about it.

I also...neglectfully left them in my yard for almost a year with no observable UV damage (although, they had the advantage of PNW weather and dead leaves to cut down on the UV for 8 months of that). Minor plastic stink/flavor when left to sit for a long time, but 2-3 rinses with hot water and baking soda always brings it back to 'good enough,' and I'm pretty good at picking up even faint plasticky essence.

This is also after trying a number of other solutions, like Reliance's jerry-can shaped (but not standard sized) jug in the same style, grocery store 1 or 2.5 gallon jugs, etc. For multiple days without resupply, these are absolutely my favorite, barring the budget and external mounting points to go up to Scepter water cans.

I have 2 Scepter 5 Gallons that I would highly recommend, these are the beefier version that are closer in design to their MFCs. Scepter Water Container - 20 Liters/5 gal. | REI Co-op

I did get the wrench Scepter MWC Water Can Wrench and handle strap Easy Pour Duel-Handle WATER Strap for Scepter MWC WATER Cans

I have a Gen. 1 of the pour spigot that screwed in. Never had any issues with leaks for the past 2 years. It does need to burp occasionally as it's not self venting. I think they have come up with a vented version and a siphoning version.
MWC Pour Spout KIT

I'm sure folks could find it cheaper from another vendor. But jagmte stuff has been pretty bomb proof and my go to for MFC viton seals for the gas cans.

I bought onel a few years ago, sucker that I am, and it leaked at the spigot from day one.

It lasted one trip, and went in the dumpster.

I just went back to old reliable.

1608315861473.png

Scribner plastics for the win!

Gas, diesel, kerosene, water.

I got two for each use have held up great! Easy to pour easy to fill and they do not swell/balloon with time

Can fit x3 cans on the back plus a 33

5A090621-FFF0-46D9-84AD-B1A111EE3B71.png

6DE483AE-8D72-4181-ACD5-01F79906FB47.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom