Identify multiple oil leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its the front crankshaft seal. Not necessarily a major leaker but a "while you are in there" replacement once the front of the engine is opened up.
oh got it i already ordered that, im just trying to figure out what else could it potentially be so i can order all the parts and do it all at once "while im in there" lol

Crankshaft seal; just behind the balancer. The bottom pulley on the fan belts.

As said, clean it up a bit first to see better where it might be coming from. My worst culprit was the valve cover gasket (screws in the back were barely finger tight...), then the distributor o-ring. At the moment I have a tiny seep around the timing cover, not enough to worry about at the moment.

Don't those have a inspection cover on the bellhousing? Maybe you can pull the cover and look in their. My 1fz was leaking like that and it was the rear main seal. Mine was a 94 with the bus transmission so its a pig of a transmission. Was glad I replaced it though. I try not to let any leaks go personally, I fix them as they begin to leak, thats just keeping up with maintenance/repairs in my opinion. Plus if I go to sell a vehicle I feel good about standing firm on my price since it doesn't leak like everyone elses exon valdez trucks.

Don't those have a inspection cover on the bellhousing? Maybe you can pull the cover and look in their. My 1fz was leaking like that and it was the rear main seal. Mine was a 94 with the bus transmission so its a pig of a transmission. Was glad I replaced it though. I try not to let any leaks go personally, I fix them as they begin to leak, thats just keeping up with maintenance/repairs in my opinion. Plus if I go to sell a vehicle I feel good about standing firm on my price since it doesn't leak like everyone elses exon valdez trucks.
Mine is a 94 too

Wait so if I remove the cover I’ll be able to tell if the rear main seal is leaking?

Wait so if I remove the cover I’ll be able to tell if the rear main seal is leaking?

Yes, but unless its a pretty bad leak (not just a little weeping) most folks will not fool with that one. The jargon 'Main Seal' is used synonymous with 'Crank Seal'. There are front and rear Crank/Main seals. The front can be accessed by removing the harmonic balancer, the rear necessitates pulling the engine or removing the Transmission and T-Case.

IF the rear main seal is so bad it needs replacing then pulling the engine and doing all the seals (since many of them will be leaking too) would probably be best. Do the front transmission seal at the same time. But as I said, most folks don't worry about the rear main unless its really a gusher.

I just don’t like the fact that it’s messing up my garage floor with oil drips. Oil stains are the worst
your not alone myself and @Irish Reiver do not tolerate self lubing 80s crank seal O ring new PS pump o ring and oil pump seal 20 bucks in parts watch texas know how youtube channel for how to.

Mine has pretty much stopped leaking after the refresh and now I'm worried about rusting under there!

PSP was actually the biggest culprit. But I did all the fixes on texasknowhow's video anyway.

I thought I had a rear arch and oil pan leaks but it was all from the front of the engine getting blown back there.

Mine has pretty much stopped leaking after the refresh and now I'm worried about rusting under there!

PSP was actually the biggest culprit. But I did all the fixes on texasknowhow's video anyway.

I thought I had a rear arch and oil pan leaks but it was all from the front of the engine getting blown back there.
thats good news because i hope mine is the same case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom