Identify multiple oil leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser is having multiple oil leaks I took some pics in hopes of someone identifying where it could be coming from. Any input is appreciated.

CCCDC7CF-13AF-40F0-8A65-47D5E0AA8B26.jpeg

077F8809-2DCB-4762-BC8D-DB466626F4A8.jpeg

60884E30-70ED-4409-A57D-2A55EEE5B4FA.jpeg

D3C56267-00A2-4C24-9CD8-8505E9DAF6E7.jpeg

FAD760B1-A074-4E3D-A2E4-B8646865E070.jpeg

Looks very typical for the 1FZ-FE!
The oil dripping down from the bellhousing is most likely the upper oil pan "arch seal" or can be as simple as the valve cover gasket.

Oil on the front is probably the oil pump cover O-ring.

The oil dripping from the power steering pump. Is it PS/ATF or motor oil? Use a paper towel or just smell it to test. The PS pump is known for leaking, but that could also just be from once the valve cover gasket, oil filter or front pump cover. The oil filter appears to have a drip on it and appears to be old (is that paint chipping on the front?).

Top down, front to back. At speed oil ends up well rear of the actual leak.

So check: oil cap gasket and PS cap gasket (should be pliable rubber, not hard)
valve cover gasket
distributor o-ring
oil pump cover o-ring
crankshaft seal.

That usually takes care of most oil leaks.

Looks very typical for the 1FZ-FE!
The oil dripping down from the bellhousing is most likely the upper oil pan "arch seal" or can be as simple as the valve cover gasket.

Oil on the front is probably the oil pump cover O-ring.

The oil dripping from the power steering pump. Is it PS/ATF or motor oil? Use a paper towel or just smell it to test. The PS pump is known for leaking, but that could also just be from once the valve cover gasket, oil filter or front pump cover. The oil filter appears to have a drip on it and appears to be old (is that paint chipping on the front?).
Thanks for the input. It’s ATF and yes my oil filter is old but as far as the other stuff you mentioned it could all be the culprit because the car is at 190k miles and it’s common for them to leak at this point

Top down, front to back. At speed oil ends up well rear of the actual leak.

So check: oil cap gasket and PS cap gasket (should be pliable rubber, not hard)
valve cover gasket
distributor o-ring
oil pump cover o-ring
crankshaft seal.

That usually takes care of most oil leaks.
Your complete right I just looked up some videos on YT and it looks like a normal thing to happen with these cars I either have to do it myself or visit my local Toyota dealer.

I just don’t like the fact that it’s messing up my garage floor with oil drips. Oil stains are the worst

No.....RUST is the worst.......

From where that's coming down it is most likely valve cover.

Valve Cover
Spark Plug Tube Seals
PCV Grommet
Distributor O-Ring
Front Main Seal
Oil pump seal
Power Steering reservoir and cap
PS Hoses
Transmission cooler hoses

I did all these on mine and it stopped all but the smallest leaks

Yes, it could also be the upper pan arch seal or the rear main seal, or the transmission front pump seal. HOWEVER, those are NOT usually the case that leak that bad.

Do the other ones first.

Remember, driving it blows the oil to the back and it all culminates on the bell housing.

I certainly enjoyed the rust protection until the 80 made a mess in my relatives driveway and required 1.5 qts every 200 miles on the drive home.

I must say the grime that accumulates probably causes as many negatives as the rust prevention is a plus: hidden problems, reduced cooling, premature belt wear, f*%$king mess just crawling underneath; embarrassment at relatives, etc....

Mine looks a little worse than yours, but oddly enough, none of the oil ever makes it to the ground. Must be because it's a Lexus.

Mine looked the same as yours until I replaced the following (common to all FZJ80's):

- Valve cover gasket (including PCV and spark plug seals)
- Distributor O ring
- Oil pump cover seal
- Front main seal
- ATF cooler hoses (one had a small hole adding to the overall mess)

I can tell that the oil pan arch seal is leaking a bit but overall the oil leaks are nothing compared to what they once were.

Leaking oil moves, coats everything, grab the pressure waster, clean it up, then see where the main leaks are coming from.

Mine looked the same as yours until I replaced the following (common to all FZJ80's):

- Distributor O ring
- Oil pump cover seal
- Front main seal

I can tell that the oil pan arch seal is leaking a bit but overall the oil leaks are nothing compared to what they once were.[/Q
What exactly is a front main seal?

- Distributor O ring
- Oil pump cover seal
- Front main seal

I can tell that the oil pan arch seal is leaking a bit but overall the oil leaks are nothing compared to what they once were.
what exactly is front main seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom