Builds I need to practice my diesel swap skills. So I will. (FJ-60 getting a 12HT) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yip. In my experience, Aussies don't change gear oil, they simply change third members when they blow them up.

Yip. In my experience, Aussies don't change gear oil, they simply change third members when they blow them up.

Friggin hell... Aussis on this site are really polite... I'm surprised you're not getting hammered for these constant generalisations Josh :eek:

Do you have the fsm for the 12ht? I will check in mine tmrw if I get a chance while at the shop. I guess I could start unplugging stuff on my truck to figure it out for you. Would be a good bit of info to know in case it goes south somewhere down the road.

Do you have the fsm for the 12ht? I will check in mine tmrw if I get a chance while at the shop. I guess I could start unplugging stuff on my truck to figure it out for you. Would be a good bit of info to know in case it goes south somewhere down the road.

12H-T Vac Shutoff EM-34.jpg

Ahhh yes.

It looks to me that with power applied that it vents the vacuum through "port G" and when power is off, that is connects the two hoses to one another.

That sure makes it easier, I just need to tap into an IGN switched wire (oh hey, I've got about 5 of those handy right now)

Dan

12H-T Vac Shutoff EM-34.jpg

So we don't use coolant, we don't change our gear box oil, so what's next, btw we have an abundance of diesels, plenty of 12HT'S and a surplus of sliding windows :) and flares, just to name a few

It looks to me that with power applied that it vents the vacuum through "port G" and when power is off, that is connects the two hoses to one another.

That sure makes it easier, I just need to tap into an IGN switched wire (oh hey, I've got about 5 of those handy right now)

So, I'm back at it! I even have a week of vacation next week, so we should make a solid dent in the project, to say the least.

First thing is I wanted to confirm how the VSV works for shutting the engine off. With no power applied tot he VSV, it routes vacuum to the shutoff solenoid. With power applied, it routs the vacuum to the atmosphere intake (in other words--allows the engine to run).

Most of today was dedicated to the FF rear axle, or to me catching myself back up on the wiring.

The FF Axle Housing was cleaned, primed and painted....
FF axle 2.jpg
FF axle 3.jpg

And the hubs were cleaned, blasted, primed and painted. Followed up with new wheel studs, and hub flange studs. A good number of the studs were loose and had been buggered in the past, so we figured it prudent to just replace all of them anyway. Cheap insurance against having to ever do this on the side of the road.
FF axle 4.jpg

And I hooked up the batteries and started seeing systems come to life. Which is good. No smoke, no blown fuses! (yet)

Here's the ISSPRO backlighting. I love these gauges.
gauges 5.jpg

Only problem I am having is that they don't seem to be dimming with the rheostat. Just on or off. I guess I tapped into the wrong wire coming off of the rheostat then. I think I used the W-G wire, and I should have used the G wire by the looks of it. The stereo is tied into the same lighting wire, and it also doesn't dim with the rheostat.

Lastly, we started putting the front end back together. AC lines are all in place, and there's nothing more to do in the engine bay than wiring, so the wheels went back on as well.
front end 1.jpg

I want to replace all of the plastic clips that hold the grill in place though. Anyone know of a source for them? I tried a couple auto parts stores tonight and nobody seemed to carry Toyota Grill clips.

That's all for today. Tomorrow we should get the FF axle under the truck, and button up a lot of wiring.

Dan

FF axle 2.jpg

FF axle 3.jpg

FF axle 4.jpg

gauges 5.jpg

front end 1.jpg

I want to replace all of the plastic clips that hold the grill in place though. Anyone know of a source for them? I tried a couple auto parts stores tonight and nobody seemed to carry Toyota Grill clips.

I'm in that journey too .. let me know if you find good source for them ..

I'm in that journey too .. let me know if you find good source for them ..

Toyota still carries them.

CDan had five sitting on the shelf (note: 5 are required for a grill). Very handy to be able to just drive down to CDan's and pick them up!

90467-12008

Are the back lights for your gauges and stereo leds? Possible reason for them not dimming

They are LED's, but the ISSPRO I thought was a dimmable LED (I have no idea how that would work). The Stereo is an easier case--there was a setting in the stereo to have it dim based upon the dash light source. It now dims when you turn the headlights on.

No great pictures, yes, I played with wiring again. We also finished painting and prepping the FF axle (mostly the drums), and started pulling the SF rear axle apart, because we intend to reuse the backing plates, wheel cylinders, and brake pads from the SF axle (they are all pretty new).

We also wasted almost an hour cleaning out the air intake duct. There were a lot of pine needles, leaves, and dirt that had accumulated in that duct (the one built into the body, behind the wiper motor). Add some water, and you'd have a recipe for rust in there, so I'm really glad to have gotten it all cleaned up.

Dan

More progress on the wiring....

I ran myself out of solder this evening, so it's not done yet. But maybe, just maybe it will be tomorrow.

We also swapped the FF axle housing under the truck, and when we went to put the backing plates on that we removed from the FJ-60, we found a seep from one of the wheel cylinders.

A quick call to CDan told us there were new wheel cylinders and brake shoes in stock, so Dad headed to town to pick them up. Meanwhile, I decided that since we were pulling it all of off there, that we might as well clean up the backing plates....

Which mean powder coating them, in typical Dan fashion. I did, however, restrain myself: I did not powder coat any of the brackets inside the brake assembly. I was tempted though. :grinpimp:

We finished up tonight having assembled the brakes onto the backing plates, ready for hubs tomorrow morning.

new brakes 1.jpg

I really shouldn't look at this one very much. All I see is a new wheel cylinder and new shoes surrounded by not clean enough bits. If I look at this pic too much, I'll probably break down and take those apart, powder coat all of the bits and pieces just to clean it up.
new brakes 2.jpg

Good thing we'll put the drum over it tomorrow and it'll be out of sight and out of mind really quickly.

That's all for today.

Dan

new brakes 1.jpg

new brakes 2.jpg

Very nice work. Like always.

OK, here's some better pics of the FF axle all put together.

FF axle 5.jpg

Yes, those are new set screws. So cheap I'll never bother salvaging another one in the future!
FF axle 6.jpg

You can also see in the first pic Dad wire wheeled and painted the frame rails. No reason not to have nice new paint on the frame where it's easy, right?

So pretty!

Tonight the truck is back on it's own wheels. Those FF hubs sure do look good sticking out the center holes of the stock weeks, I've got to say. I can't believe I didn't take any pics of that.

Oh, and one other thing......

It's a runner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kills me that I have to take off tomorrow for some meetings on thursday. All that's left is to tape up the wiring harness, put the dash back together and then go drive it! Work isn't fair right now. Good thing I have the weekend and next week free to play with the truck, pending any :princess: plans.

Dan

FF axle 5.jpg

FF axle 6.jpg

Love the sound of 12HT :D

Great work, man!

Now that's a sweet sound, brings music to my ears :)

Now that's a sweet sound, brings music to my ears :)

You have no idea.....

....yes you do!

Any man who doesn't love the sound of a 12HT has no soul. They are such sweet sounding engines!

Dan

Well, I got in this afternoon and we went back to work on the truck.

First up, a pic of the FF axle hub sticking out through the stock steel wheel. It looks absolutely killer, for some reason.
FF axle 7.jpg

Since it was mostly working, I wanted to make sure that the coolant gauge worked, and things, so at the same time I took it for a 30 foot drive to get it out into the sun today. Not that it means a whole lot, but it felt really good when I gave it some gas to go up the slight incline that starts about 8 feet in front of our shop.
outside.jpg

I got most of the electrical gremlins figured, so I started buttoning up the wiring harness in the engine bay. The left side is DONE.
left side bay buttoned up.jpg

I also taped up the right side harness, or at least almost all of it.

I had the glow screen and alternator working earlier today, but when I connected some stuff tonight neither did. I need to go and figure out what I messed up.

However, the one issue that I haven't been able to resolve is the charge light stays on. Even when the alternator was working, it stayed on.

I may have to revisit the wiring for the charge light relay, just to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'd like to get that resolved quickly, because then I could button up the dash, and we could go cruising faster.

Dan

FF axle 7.jpg

outside.jpg

left side bay buttoned up.jpg

12ht is a little wonder, better performance than most with none to little maintenance.

Rob:popcorn:

Been busy.......

.....driving it!

We put about 170 miles on it today. When I drove it yesterday it was reading very low on oil pressure once it warmed up, so this morning I fitted a mechanical gauge to the truck. The numbers were as follows:

Cold
Idle: 70psi
2500RPM: 95psi​

Warm
Idle: 20psi
2500RPM: 55psi​

Interestingly enough, cruising at 1800RPM or so, the engine was making roughly 40psi only. I suspect that the oil pressure relief valve may have been allowing some oil to bypass.

Either way, the oil pressure sender wasn't reflecting numbers that were fine by the FSM, so we replaced the oil pressure sender with a nice new one from Toyota. MUCH better now. I still think that the relief valve is a bit gummed up, so when I change the oil I'll take that apart and give it a thorough cleaning.

Anyway, once I had checked the oil pressure by driving it to fill the tank with Diesel, we took it into town (20 miles one way) to get an exhaust put on. We went with 2.5" and a Glass Pack muffler. It really sounds nice now.

After all of that, we drove it up to Santa Fe (about 55 miles one way) to have dinner with Chamba and let it stretch its legs a bit.

I've heard it said, but I'll say it also: the 12HT is the perfect motor for a 60. If Toyota would have sold the HJ-61 in the US, I seriously doubt that the Ford Explorer would have ever happened at all. It's just such a beautiful engine when paired with a 60. Definitely doesn't lack for power, or torque--that's for sure.

Tomorrow we'll take it into town to get it inspected as a diesel, so we don't have to mess with emissions again, and then I'll probably change the oil and coolant to make sure we've got good clean stuff in there.

Oh, and I'll look to get some good pics of it for you guys. It's a REALLY sharp looking truck all put together (peeling paint and everything).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom