I need more protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know what it's like to have to navigate very tight trails. Trail armor is a good idea, obviously, but I find that picking the right line and being able to hold it the whole way through is critical to avoiding damage. That generally means going slower, making good use of a spotter and avoiding breaking traction at all costs on steep or off camber spots. Run the tallest, skinniest, aggressive tires you can find at whatever pressure works for you and use the LC's weight to your advantage. Use low range more often than you think. And maybe swap in a locked rear. Mostly though, it helps to wheel with rigs that have similar capabilities to your own to avoid feeling pressure to keep up.

I know what it's like to have to navigate very tight trails. Trail armor is a good idea, obviously, but I find that picking the right line and being able to hold it the whole way through is critical to avoiding damage. That generally means going slower, making good use of a spotter and avoiding breaking traction at all costs on steep or off camber spots. Run the tallest, skinniest, aggressive tires you can find at whatever pressure works for you and use the LC's weight to your advantage. Use low range more often than you think. And maybe swap in a locked rear. Mostly though, it helps to wheel with rigs that have similar capabilities to your own to avoid feeling pressure to keep up.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to make new friends:(
I am in low range the whole time and trying my darnedest to not slip but the combination of slippery mud and incline gets me.

I also have zero prior wheeling experience so I am sure someone with more experience will br able to avoid most of this damage

buy a dirtbike and put them to shame ;)... otherwise like mentioned goat trails are no fun and invite carnage. our 100 series are pretty wide.

It's all a learning a experience, man. If you're having fun, and are cool with the love your truck is getting, and everyone inside the truck is safe, you're doing it well.

Some perspective: my dad and I built a pretty badass Jeep TJ when I was in high school. It's now part of my inheritance when that time comes. The damn thing will just about crawl up a flat wall if you want to. I've never been up a trail and thought "oh crap, I hope the Jeep will make it up this". It just did; it was built for tight trails, highly technical obstacles, lots of suspension articulation, and tons of grip. Not a full-on buggy, but still extremely capable.

Enter my ownership of 100 series trucks. I've built mine up to be capable on the trails, but I have to understand that my LX is NOT my TJ. The articulation isn't there simply because of the nature of the truck's hardware. The ability to run very tight trails isn't there because it's a friggen 3 row SUV! The grip isn't there (yet) because I don't have lockers in the truck. It's heavy. It's more susceptible to gravity and sucky mud. As much as I love driving technical trails, getting uncomfortably off camber and watching the truck really 'flex' (metaphorically and literally), I know my LX won't do that stuff. I could try to make it do all the things my Jeep will, but it's going to end up breaking stuff and causing damage.

Our local 'Cruiser' club is comprised mostly of guys in awesome minitrucks that are caged and they use the crap out of them. It's super cool. Wanna guess how many of the local club trips I've been on? As many instances of body damage I've incurred on trails: 0. My truck won't run with them, I'm not even going to try.

Last thing: By and large, Jeep people are probably some of the worst to learn how to wheel with (in my experience). Largely, their method of clearing an obstacle is a simple "SEND IT" cry and a mashing of the skinny pedal. Don't do that. It didn't take long before dad and I realized most of the guys we were running with were morons and we learned the right way to do things by being more considerate of each obstacle.

It's all a learning a experience, man. If you're having fun, and are cool with the love your truck is getting, and everyone inside the truck is safe, you're doing it well.

Some perspective: my dad and I built a pretty badass Jeep TJ when I was in high school. It's now part of my inheritance when that time comes. The damn thing will just about crawl up a flat wall if you want to. I've never been up a trail and thought "oh crap, I hope the Jeep will make it up this". It just did; it was built for tight trails, highly technical obstacles, lots of suspension articulation, and tons of grip. Not a full-on buggy, but still extremely capable.

Enter my ownership of 100 series trucks. I've built mine up to be capable on the trails, but I have to understand that my LX is NOT my TJ. The articulation isn't there simply because of the nature of the truck's hardware. The ability to run very tight trails isn't there because it's a friggen 3 row SUV! The grip isn't there (yet) because I don't have lockers in the truck. It's heavy. It's more susceptible to gravity and sucky mud. As much as I love driving technical trails, getting uncomfortably off camber and watching the truck really 'flex' (metaphorically and literally), I know my LX won't do that stuff. I could try to make it do all the things my Jeep will, but it's going to end up breaking stuff and causing damage.

Our local 'Cruiser' club is comprised mostly of guys in awesome minitrucks that are caged and they use the crap out of them. It's super cool. Wanna guess how many of the local club trips I've been on? As many instances of body damage I've incurred on trails: 0. My truck won't run with them, I'm not even going to try.

Last thing: By and large, Jeep people are probably some of the worst to learn how to wheel with (in my experience). Largely, their method of clearing an obstacle is a simple "SEND IT" cry and a mashing of the skinny pedal. Don't do that. It didn't take long before dad and I realized most of the guys we were running with were morons and we learned the right way to do things by being more considerate of each obstacle.
Thanks for sharing. I will try to back down a little but to be honest the group I run with are a bunch of very cool people, mostly in their 50s and even 60s! The have taught me quite a few things when it comes to approaching the obstacles and recovery techniques. Still a100 is ill suited to tight technical trails as everyone has said

Wisconsin unfortunately doesn't have many (any?) public trails for wheeling. Which makes this private group invaluable since they have access to private properties.

Hopefully I can save enough to add some steel bumpers and replace the fenders this year. Then i will try to stick to milder trails. We'll see.

Have you considered just getting at the least an older Cherokee and investing your trail money into that? Virtually all parts will be cheaper.
LX was bought as the fun vehicle and now I don't have the heart to tell the missus that we need another play mobile. But I agree a Cherokee will way more cost effective

Good bumpers and exo cage it.

80 series but you get the idea.

Last edited:
you naysayers are such weiners, geez. He created a thread to ask about armor and he's getting 'er done. The rest of you should be embarassed that you never even try

you naysayers are such weiners, geez. He created a thread to ask about armor and he's getting 'er done. The rest of you should be embarassed that you never even try
This, i'm one of these weenies who need to try. I Bought my 100 two years ago. Didn't wheel it because it had 22" wheels and low pro tires. Did the normal timing belt, heater T's, etc. Then replaced the broken stock radio. Then replaced my AHC globes and rear springs. Still haven't off roaded it. Finally got off road wheels and tires, didn't offroad it because it's not protected. Bought sliders, RLCA Skids/Tow Points, still didn't off road since my parking brake didn't work. Replaced my parking brake recently, now i've run out of excuses. I guess i'll go out w/ my jeep friend and hope I don't get stuck. Do jeeps have enough power to pull me out? haha (serious question)

This, i'm one of these weenies who need to try. I Bought my 100 two years ago. Didn't wheel it because it had 22" wheels and low pro tires. Did the normal timing belt, heater T's, etc. Then replaced the broken stock radio. Then replaced my AHC globes and rear springs. Still haven't off roaded it. Finally got off road wheels and tires, didn't offroad it because it's not protected. Bought sliders, RLCA Skids/Tow Points, still didn't off road since my parking brake didn't work. Replaced my parking brake recently, now i've run out of excuses. I guess i'll go out w/ my jeep friend and hope I don't get stuck. Do jeeps have enough power to pull me out? haha (serious question)
Seriously go out and try it, it will surprise you! Obviously don't go on narrow trails :D

Last time a wrangler tried to pull me with their winch they start to slip towards me!! We had to tie its tail to a big tree to keep it from slipping :)

Damn! :D
Those people you went with should have told u not to come!

When I used to have the LX, I used to go out with JEEPs most of the time because they go out more than the Toyota guys, however, I always ask them two questions
1) is the trail doable with 33s?
2) is the trail much wider than my LX?
If they answer no to either, I dont go!

I dont see the point of armors, the trials you went on are not for our 100s, find another group ;)

Arb makes fender bars that will protect the light and fender assembly that attach to their sliders and bumpers.

At this point looks like Dobinson has the best deal on bumpers ($1000 for full bar). Since i already have sliders, i will just need to find someone to weld fender protection bars

At this point looks like Dobinson has the best deal on bumpers ($1000 for full bar). Since i already have sliders, i will just need to find someone to weld fender protection bars

I know this thread was started for armor but if we're talking about preventing damage there have been two things I've done that have helped the most. And this is after tons of trail damage learning the limits and capabilities of my truck. Lockers. Slower, more controlled. "As slow as you can, as fast as you need"

Like @MongooseGA said, 100s aren't TJs (my prior rig also with lockers) but you can still wheel the crap out the 100 and take everything and everyone with you! Keep hitting the trails hard!

I don't know how you guys treat your 100s like this, i mainly off road in a dirtbike and the fun factor compared to a truck 4x4 is so much more fun, when I do off road in LX its with family to destinations with great views for the family to enjoy.

I know this thread was started for armor but if we're talking about preventing damage there have been two things I've done that have helped the most. And this is after tons of trail damage learning the limits and capabilities of my truck. Lockers. Slower, more controlled. "As slow as you can, as fast as you need"

Like @MongooseGA said, 100s aren't TJs (my prior rig also with lockers) but you can still wheel the crap out the 100 and take everything and everyone with you! Keep hitting the trails hard!
I agree without lockers i find myself having to carry a lot more momentum to get through the obstacles.

But I have very limited budget and can't afford to buy both armor and lockers

I don't know how you guys treat your 100s like this, i mainly off road in a dirtbike and the fun factor compared to a truck 4x4 is so much more fun, when I do off road in LX its with family to destinations with great views for the family to enjoy.
Can't really take my 3 kids on a dirt bike to make memories in some of the most beautiful places.

I might do mud tires, lockers and regear the transfer case before armor. If that keeps you off the trees and rocks, you might rethink what kind of armor you want. Plus in a 98 the front ARB locker would strengthen your diff if you're wheeling.

But you could also pull off your bumpers - get more clearance - and then find a fab shop to make simple tube bumpers with front and rear quarter panel bars that tie into your bumpers, sliders and/or frame.

1-23-11-007-jpg.599645

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom