I need more protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
Background:
I have been taking my truck (98 LX) on some pretty tight off road trails. I find myself following some decently built up jeeps and a fully custom Ford Ranger on 38.5" mud tires!

While I sorely miss traction aids (lockers or ATRAC] on some sections and have nowhere near the ground clearance that others do - I still have enough fun.

Currently my truck is riding on OEM TBs and OME 2865 springs with 30 mm spacers. I have about 2 inches of lift and find it a great compromise between ride comfort and off road prowess. I also have WKOR sliders and ASFIR front armor plate

Issue:
I have slipped a few times and bashed my body panels. I once slid into barbed wire fence and scratched the whole side. The latest outing saw me bashing in the driver side fender.
Now I understand that some body damage is expected in these conditions but I am curious what would be the most cost affective way to minimize this carnage. A front bull bar? Those goofy looking bars that connet a bull bar with sliders?

Here's some pics of damage
20190616_182035.jpg
20190504_170610.jpg
20190616_110305.jpg
20190504_170538.jpg
20190504_170533.jpg

Background:
I have been taking my truck (98 LX) on some pretty tight off road trails. I find myself following some decently built up jeeps and a fully custom Ford Ranger on 38.5" mud tires!

Issue:
I have slipped a few times and bashed my body panels. I once slid into barbed wire fence and scratched the whole side. The latest outing saw me bashing in the driver side fender.
Now I understand that some body damage is expected in these conditions but I am curious what would be the most cost affective way to minimize this carnage?

Just stop following skinnier shorter wheelbase trucks than you on those goat trails. No sense in adding body armor at this point- your truck is a designated trail rig now.

Nice body mods!

Those skinny trails are all I have access to at the moment. They are wide enough for me to fit through but not much margin for error.

My family quite like the truck for our family trips and I was planning to make a 2 week trip to out west later this year. I just want to minimize further damage before it becomes a mad max vehicle!

Bumpers would be really the only thing with side rails that go to your sliders. I think ARB makes them or you could just have them fabbed locally for cheaper.

A good front bumper with bull bar and a good rear bumper will help mitigate some of the damage. However, if you continue to follow smaller, more built rigs on tight trails you're going to continue to bash and thrash your rig, no way around it.

As Clint Eastwood once said, "A man has got to know his limitations." ;)

You can pop the majority of the rear quarter panel dents out. Start learning Paintless dent removal. The front fender is toast. A bullbar would surely help. Wheel spacers help a little too.

time for a T4R or Taco I guess. No sense in adding a bull bar if you are still gonna go with smaller rigs. you will have constant side damage from bushes/trees

:oops:

At this point it's like asking for birth control protection when you have a three-year-old...

I plan to fix the major body damage and trying to figure out how to best mitigate future damage

The only way to have more protection is to open up your mind a little bit. By looking at the damages in the pictures it is easy to tell that the trail was way too narrow for an LX. You should have taken more attention. Even with metal bumpers, you will still hit stuff with your truck in that trail.

For future tail trips, remember this is an LX, not a modded Jeep.

The only way to have more protection is to open up your mind a little bit. By looking at the damages in the pictures it is easy to tell that the trail was way too narrow for an LX. You should have taken more attention. Even with metal bumpers, you will still hit stuff with your truck in that trail.

For future tail trips, remember this is an LX, not a modded Jeep.
I run what I brung :hillbilly:

Bull bar and have a shop fab and weld tube rails connecting the sliders and bar along the front fender. Those "goofy rails and bullbar" exist for a reason.

Depends what you want for the truck. Since you're here asking about it, I'm going to assume you're somewhat conscious/concerned about the condition of your vehicle.

As much as I admire how often you get out and wheel your truck (and I think I've even made that comment before), I'd be ****ing furious if my truck was looking like yours right now. I like my truck to be nice, and I drive/wheel it accordingly. Doesn't mean I don't test its limits, but if there's certain body damage beyond some pin-striping, I'll just take the bypass for that obstacle. The opinions of people in Jeeps (or anyone else, for that matter) are hardly enough to motivate me into damaging my vehicle just to keep up.

Like mentioned earlier, you gotta either A) know what your truck is good for and stick to that, lest you end up with damage on every panel or B) resolve that you're driving what will be an off-road only truck that's going to look like a beater in any other setting than on the trail.

A slip here or there might end up in some actual body damage. To hit and damage damn near every panel on the truck? Idk man... That may be a driving skill thing. We've got a guy in our local group who manages to damage/break something on every trip despite a handful to a dozen other vehicles (ie: everyone else) doing everything just fine... At a certain point... it might just not be for him.

But, if you're cool with the truck taking hits and growing 'character', have at it, dude!

For starters, you're in the wrong truck. If you follow swb rigs on 38s, you're going to absolutely destroy your 100. "More protection" is only going to make it wider.

But, as has been pointed out, you now have a trail rig. Have fun!

Last edited:
Maybe read through this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom