I have questions about the Jeep Wave protocol... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StinkyPig

SILVER Star
Threads
I have noted, this year it seems more prevalent, that when I am driving my FJ40's the Jp folks tend to shoot me the Jp wave more often than not.
1. Is it because they don't know what a Jp looks like and mistakenly wave?
2. Or this because they are bowing to the superiority of the Land Cruiser?

So I ask fellow mudders, what is the correct protocol?

Where I live Jeeps are rare and don't seem to wave (at least to me) but Defender owners always have this weird look like they are trying to understand what my vehicle is and if they have to wave. 2/3 of them wave, trying to be a good person I wave back to people that waves at me, I also wave to people giving me a thumb up on the side of the road.

I initiate wave to other Land Cruisers from all series.
And as mentioned by others, on a trail or dirt road I wave to everyone (4wds, cars, bikes, bicycles, hikers, etc.). And I shut off engine for horse riders.

An older Defender is super rare to see around here. I'd say just as rare as a 40 series for the same reasons. Our environment murders any rust prone steel, with foolish architecture, and covered with less than ideal sealant/paint.

I'd wave at a Defender, I feel they are more our equal than a heep. Might even instigate that wave. To which he'll say, "stoopid jeople wave" 😄

I see old Defenders/Series Rovers at least 3x as often as 40 series around here. I believe this is their wave:

E93368B9-5DB8-4123-8E08-2D5E0E482966.gif

I see old Defenders/Series Rovers at least 3x as often as 40 series around here. I believe this is their wave:

View attachment 3033904
NOT true! They have too much crankcase oil on their hands to hold a cup! Or Band-Aids on fingers from fixing wiring for that matter.

We are really dancing around the 'correct protocol' :
:flipoff2:

My arm would fall off if I waved at every jeep in my neighborhood but if it's a YJ or older I usually wave or nod. Living close to an Army base means every 5th vehicle is a lifted Rubicon with all sorts of plastic junk attached to make it look "meaner." Those things are just this generations mini van and not worth my time. Unfortunately it's been a year since I drove past another FJ40 driver while driving my own. I definitely waved like a crazy man and made my cruiser appreciation known. 🖐

I am usually enjoying driving my 40 so much I don't notice the wave until too late, I try waving back but am not that successful. There are some dick Harley riders but most everyone on a bike is friendly and wave in my experience, especially when you get out in the sticks like the Yukon Territory.

When I see Jeeeeep headlights coming at night I turn my lights on high.

What?

We actually have an early Jeeeeep here on the ranch. It makes a great surface to pile the irrigation tubes on 😂.

I think the "jeep wave" used to mean a lot more. Having a Jeep meant having a certain lifestyle, but that hasn't been the case since they've had 4 doors and bluetooth 😆 I'm pretty tempted to wave at anything with an inline 6, leaf springs, a removable top, and solid axles. That's a good recipe regardless of what emblem you slap on it.

It’s a different scenario where I’m from. Lots of Jeeps and very few FJ40’s but everyone knows what they are and likes to look it over. Most Jeep folks here use their Jeeps for what they were made for. Those that don’t use them don’t have them very long because they aren’t as comfy as the Tahoe they had. Most Jeeps wave and I always figured it was a wave of admiration. I just give a wave back as it’s not really much effort on my part.

I love this thread..... :beer: 👈;)

Im'a wade back in one more time. Environment is the great equalizer.

A 4x4 in greater "Prestonia", is not a status symbol, it's a necessity. Most folks here are sporting a 4x4 out of survival in the winter time. The Ole boys with "out of the norm" rigs, IE older than 1980 4x4's, have a mix en'match variety of some pretty amazing rigs. Mostly they are trout bums @rkymtnflyfisher, avid hunters @Jdc1 or youngen's who inherited a barn find from "pap's" garage. In a County with four (4) stop lights (It's the Gospel), I see them when ever I'm out on a feed store run, a beverage replenishment or the VFW is having a raffle. In fact, there's a fella with a Bronco 1/2 cab I shoot the "sh$t" with at the 5:00AM Hardey's Coffee Club, and that rig is amazing. There's another Vet with a flat fender Willy's, that I salute every time I see him parading that "Jeep" at the Buckwheat Festival (Its a real thing). They know me and I know them.

So, Hell yeah I wave........:cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom