how to price a restored 80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for anyone who loves the cruisers... I bought and restored 1997 40th Anniversary FJZ80. I may need to sell it... I have a lot more in it than the blue books say it is worth... It is just almost perfect... has just under 164K, new leather in front, restored leather in rear, new paint on the hood and it is all glossy, matches and gorgeous. has the factory look with the 40th Gray color and two toned leather... engine is solid, new radiator and tires... oh but NO lockers.... I love her but I need a rig to tow a bit more... 2 owners, clean title, and no rust... thoughts???? Thanks in advance!

Really seems like a thinly veiled ad when your 1st post is this.

Browse the classifieds, find a comparable 80 & price / post it there.

Welcome to mud! Let me help you out with the most common 80-series tech responses to this question:

• "Anything over $3k is way too much, I paid $6.84 for my locked 95 blah blah blah"
  • "Your 80 is worth whatever someone will pay for it" (one of my favorites, as it's the most useless)
  • "I'll give you $500 for it"
  • "Lockers don't increase the value"
  • "I specifically looked for a locked rig and would pay a premium for that feature"
  • "I wanted a white 80"
  • "I wanted anything but emerald green"

I'd recommend you 1) post some pictures and 2) post some specific details on work done and a no nonsense assessment of issues that need to be addressed.

If a mechanic looked it over, what would they find for a buyer? Any leaks? Squeaks? Vibrations? Do all of the doors unlock when you hit the button? Have the hubs been serviced? Birfs? It sounds like a pretty truck, which will go far with some, but the ih8mud I know loves maintenance history.

The basic mud approach to purchasing an 80 is to take the entire thing apart and put it back together so "you know it's been done." If you can provide a well maintained 80 with solid service records that prove it's been "baselined" that certainly carries weight with the more discerning masses. There are also a bunch of people that will buy one if you put LED bars on it. I'd stay away from them, on principle.

How quickly do you want to sell it?

If you want a lot of money for it, throw it on eBay or that expedition site. If you can give us some more info and pictures that may help.

If you want an idea of pricing, shop around for an 80 in your area and go from there. Use craigslist and the classifieds section here as a barometer, then price accordingly.

Nice ad....

Just post it for sale brotha, trust me we'll know more about your truck than you do (sarcasm). No need to play slick we're not that kinda community.....

Thank you, guys... I just wanted to go to who knows these trucks... I promise I was not playing slick on the ad thing.... I just wanted some advice. I have looked online for them all over the country and I don't see them redone like this one so that is why I asked. I will get some pics of her soon. I had her out on a camping trip and she needs a bath. As for the maintenance records I have none... so that stinks. I took it to a mechanic and they combed it from bumper to bumper looking for my money and came up with the radiator replacement... I changed all the fluids and all the hoses and the gasket up top. I specifically asked him to check the knuckles and the front end for what it needed and he said he has never seen one that old look that good. No leaks or squeaks. I don't work on them myself. I am a girl who knows where the mechanic is... But I love that truck. Thank you all so much for your help...

Thank you, guys... I just wanted to go to who knows these trucks... I promise I was not playing slick on the ad thing.... I just wanted some advice. I have looked online for them all over the country and I don't see them redone like this one so that is why I asked. I will get some pics of her soon. I had her out on a camping trip and she needs a bath. As for the maintenance records I have none... so that stinks. I took it to a mechanic and they combed it from bumper to bumper looking for my money and came up with the radiator replacement... I changed all the fluids and all the hoses and the gasket up top. I specifically asked him to check the knuckles and the front end for what it needed and he said he has never seen one that old look that good. No leaks or squeaks. I don't work on them myself. I am a girl who knows where the mechanic is... But I love that truck. Thank you all so much for your help...
I bet you would get more assistance if you posted pictures of the truck and of yourself...maybe some poser shots like @alohajen..I kid, I kid...no really.

These things in good shape go from 6-7k and up depending on rust. If it's rust free, you could probably get more if it's in the condition you say it is. Where are you located?

Jacksonville, FL... I got it from California and it has no rust... I paid retail for it and then sunk more money in the paint and the leather... so I am way over what it can sell for. Thanks for the input... I will get some pics up of the truck tomorrow.

I just passed within 65 miles from you on my way back from Sarasota yesterday with my family. I would have been willing to take a look and help you out , however the rest of the crew would have out voted me. Seeing the rig Is the only way to give you an accurate estimate. Say Its as nice as you and the mechanic say It Is. A dealer would be asking between 10K and 12K , no rust good paint straight Interior and solid mechanics at 164K for a 40th. The big bucks In a 40th comes with all the goodies COMPLETE baselined and lower miles. Best case scenario If It's as nice as you think someone may go 9K. People don't respect the value of no rust on a collectable, rust Is Cancer eventually the value will be dead. On EBAY though with a lot of good pics and maybe some documentation from your mechanic, You could do better . You will need educated help In that market though ! Good Luck ! I hope you do well..! :)

The term "restored" is overused and interpreted a variety of ways, and I caution the use of it. When used inappropriately, I run for the hills assuming the seller will be unreasonable. I'm sure you've done more than is listed in this thread, but new front leather, tires, radiator and some paint does not a restored 80 make. Most refer to that as maintenance.

If anything, you may have an original, rust-free 40th with *some recent maintenance*, which I, personally, would prefer over restored.

Restored... point taken... I just know that it is way better than when I bought it as for the body, engine and interior... so I see your point on that. It is original, no rust. Spent a lot so it felt like I redid the whole thing! But it did not require a complete restore like you can see on some of the sites and YouTube. So I am sure I am in way too deep to sell it... thanks for the info.

I am the resident "It's worth what someone will pay for it." person on MUD. The "blue book" value is useless. The market value can only be determined by trying to find as close to similar of an 80 and gauging up or down your vehicles worth. And then guessing. The only way to know for sure is to list it for sale and see what it brings. If it is as clean and original and you say it will bring all the money. Throw it up on ebay and see what happens. You can always set a reserve for what you feel comfortable and you will find out what it is worth in 3, 5, or 7 days.

So, to answer your question, it's worth what someone will pay for it. Good Luck!

Haven't seen anyone say it so...
Look on craigslist and compare your condition, milage, and options. Post it on mud (craigslist too) and see if there is genuine interest. If not, your price is too high.
In short, just put it up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom