How to ruin a perfectly good 80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TYpically people will chop an 80 to lose the upper rear corners of the body so the truck will fit better on tight trails. Adding the tube work kinda negates that if that was the purpose for the chop. But the tube work will deal with banging on trees/rocks better than quarter glass and the D pillar. that's neither here nor there, and I like the style and where the build is going. Fun build and really cool that it's with/for your son.

@Prime Thanks for those rocker photos. If you plan to whip on that Cruiser, I’d suggest beefing up the rear LCA frame brackets. They deform rather easily.

What do you have in the works for cat protection?

Front clearancing complete. Definitely lose some structure in the fenders with them cut but they're likely to take some damage so not too stressed about it.

IMG_8396.jpeg

Now for the rears...

"Dad, I think we need more room"

IMG_8170.jpeg

That's better

IMG_8173.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

It's not gonna win any car shows but it will work, and that's the goal.

IMG_8511.jpeg

You might as well 3 link it while your at it….. :smokin:

Ugh I know. trying not to let scope creep too much so we can get out and use it first. something will surely break which will be a good excuse for more beefy upgrades.

TYpically people will chop an 80 to lose the upper rear corners of the body so the truck will fit better on tight trails. Adding the tube work kinda negates that if that was the purpose for the chop. But the tube work will deal with banging on trees/rocks better than quarter glass and the D pillar. that's neither here nor there, and I like the style and where the build is going. Fun build and really cool that it's with/for your son.

I agree that we'll lose some of the advantage of the chop for clearance but I wanted to base for a soft top and hated the idea of a fastback style. I honestly would have 100% preferred a not chopped truck to start with but the price point and existing mods on this one made it an easier decision.

@Prime Thanks for those rocker photos. If you plan to whip on that Cruiser, I’d suggest beefing up the rear LCA frame brackets. They deform rather easily.

What do you have in the works for cat protection?

LCA protection and sleeved/extended arms are on the short list, good call. For cat protection, it's on the list as well but I haven't spent much time thinking about it yet. Any concerns with deleting? (no emissions needed).

LCA protection and sleeved/extended arms are on the short list, good call. For cat protection, it's on the list as well but I haven't spent much time thinking about it yet. Any concerns with deleting? (no emissions needed).

Check out @eimkeith I have a set on mine and they are really nice pieces.

Im also CAT delete. Lots of discussion on here about it being stinky, CEL, etc. Mine runs better, doesnt stink, but does throw a random CEL. No rhyme or reason, just comes out of nowhere. Clear it and its gone again till it decides to remind me....

Ugh I know. trying not to let scope creep too much so we can get out and use it first. something will surely break which will be a good excuse for more beefy upgrades.

I agree that we'll lose some of the advantage of the chop for clearance but I wanted to base for a soft top and hated the idea of a fastback style. I honestly would have 100% preferred a not chopped truck to start with but the price point and existing mods on this one made it an easier decision.

No personal experience with a cat-less rig but I’ve read that they usually emit obnoxious smelling exhaust.

something will surely break which will be a good excuse for more beefy upgrades.

Honestly other then knuckle studs and maybe a birf here or there you probably won't break anything if you are mostly sticking to GA/TN/NC southeast trials and not loading it down with tons of overlanding gear. Hundreds of similar 80's getting absolutely beat on year after year. It usually wet enough to not matter that much.

Previous owner put the jeep windshield channel on. I'm going to try and incorporate to the eventual soft top build. Cross bars are the same height but slightly higher than the roof line. Wanted the ability to throw kayak or paddle boards up there and have them clear the roof.

Will likely use a local boat upholstery shop to do something custom. Goal is Softopper style with roll up sides and back sections.
You might look into Sunbrella. I have a good amount of experience using it on boats and if taken care of it holds up really well to the elements and is generally waterproof. The downside is it'll tear easier than a vinyl type material.

Are you going to wheel it

yeah, need some real dents to hide my sledgehammer work

Honestly other then knuckle studs and maybe a birf here or there you probably won't break anything if you are mostly sticking to GA/TN/NC southeast trials and not loading it down with tons of overlanding gear. Hundreds of similar 80's getting absolutely beat on year after year. It usually wet enough to not matter that much.

this ain't no overlander 🙃

Don’t spend a ton of money on it, come to GSMTR in June with that attitude and I promise you will have a blast

It will start looking good when your neighbors start asking if it came from a war overseas.

My 3 year old told me he wanted us to "drive on bigger rocks" and I've never been more proud. So we got to work looking for a candidate and it didn't take long to find a fine specimen on Facebook marketplace. We loaded up for Nashville and brought home our new 97 LX450. He has now affectionally named it the Lexus Land Cruiser with no roof on...

Technically @Jeeper was the one to start the "ruining" but it won't be the last time this thing sees a cut off wheel or sledge hammer... In true legend fashion, Roger cut off the rear roof section section and rockers (in favor of boatsides). He also added factory lockers, front and rear bumpers, Warn M8000, suspension and 35s and deleted the flares. A great base for a build. Thanks again Roger!

***trigger alert*** this was a 1 owner, 180k mile, rust free southern truck that lived most of its life on a country club. sorry. ***/trigger alert***

Catching up on a few months here so will start with a few photos from the listing. More to follow!

View attachment 3494813

View attachment 3494814

View attachment 3494815

View attachment 3494820

Those rock slider are a game changer on a 80 ;) ask me how I know !!

Ok. 🤔

Color me intrigued.
Alot going on there ... care to expand? Admit I've never heard of such a mod.

Do they legitimately work?
Can they uphold half the weight of the vehicle while say, lodged upon a rock? Such as a slider - attached to the frame - would do?

I ask because finding sliders for a '93 is quite the covfefee (kerfuffle) due to the cats.
They definitely work and hold up, I did mine in 2015 and it's a dedicated crawler/trail rig
1701737484764.png

Last edited:
Wish there was a way to tell for sure.
There are no cuts/welds on the downpipes or the outlet pipe that goes up over the frame to the inside.
It is also mounted horizontal so can't look for any sort of Toyota stamping on the top. Nothing of note on the bottom that I can see. But the shielding is all in place and fits this single cat, to include the floor shielding so...?

Anyhoo, not hugely important, or germane to the convo. Just been curious for a long while now.

Apologies PO. Back to the thread. lol

Wish there was a way to tell for sure.
There are no cuts/welds on the downpipes or the outlet pipe that goes up over the frame to the inside.
It is also mounted horizontal so can't look for any sort of Toyota stamping on the top. Nothing of note on the bottom that I can see. But the shielding is all in place and fits this single cat, to include the floor shielding so...?

Anyhoo, not hugely important, or germane to the convo. Just been curious for a long while now.

Apologies PO. Back to the thread. lol
First sorry Prime for the continued Hi Jack

@LandLocked93
1) All North American 80s & LX 450 came with two cats.
2) All North American 93 & 94 80s came with the Cats side by side with the pipe going over the frame.
3) All North American 95-97 & 96 & 97 LX 450 came with Cats one after another with the pipe going under the frame.
4) It's a common modification to use a 95 -97 two into one down pipe to a single cat on 93 -94 and that what you have on your 93 and what I have the parts in my shop to do to my 94.
I’m SURE

@Prime If this post is bothering you I well delete It, ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom