how to deal w/ this rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope the pic's not too large. It shows worst of the rust on the '74 FJ40 I'm beginning to work on. Metal is still firm there. Thought to wire brush it well, hit it with rust mort, primer, paint, and finally Durabak, or something similar that will hold up to my hunting & fishing trips. But I'm a complete rookie at this so I'm looking for suggestions.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

Last edited:
Yeah man, that's nothing!
If it's solid just complete the process you listed above. I was dealing with much worse, had to weld new panels in (in the worst places), wire wheeled the stuff that looked like what you've posted, primed, then painted (on top side) underside, I primed it then hit it with a rubberized undercoating material....Came out pretty nice.

Seriously, looks good!
Best of luck

I thought you said rust. That's just a little patina...:D I'm thinking a spot blast then etch, epoxy prime and repaint. Your method seems a little much for what you're repairing IMHO.

Nick

Wire wheel and rattle can. Don't worry about anything more labor intensive til you've got some road time on her and have more of a long-term plan.

And DON'T put any kind of liner over the paint. When your foot wears thru your spray paint, just reshoot it.

I cleaned it with w wire wheel and rust bulleted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom