How should I run new and old tires together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got three, 8-9 year old Mickey T/Mud Terrain tires and 2 brand new ones. One new one was the spare that I never rotated in and the other new one is from a recent puncture replacement.
The other day I was driving down Hwy 80 and I noticed I was getting some body shake. I thought maybe it had something to do with the new 80 steering gear box but after further thought... I'm guessing it's because one rear tire is brand new and the rest are the older three.

Should I take the spare out of the carrier and run the two new tires in front right now? Should I run the new ones in the rear? Should I just leave it as is and start to rotate the spare into play?

I don't have a good pic of the tires really so you'll just have to live with this one.

7DCF8B60-5EAF-450A-8859-85ABB6B9E650.jpeg

Last edited:
I would run new matched tires on the rear since this is the primary drive and the fronts can freewheel together. If you have vibrations in the front then get the fronts rebalanced. Very likely the spare needs balancing

I would run new matched tires on the rear since this is the primary drive and the fronts can freewheel together. If you have vibrations in the front then get the fronts rebalanced. Very likely the spare needs balancing

Good thinking... My buddy owns a tire shop. I'm gonna go see him this morning and have that spare balanced.

Don’t drive with old tires on the highway. Buy two more new tires and prevent accidents. Keep the best old tire as a spare.

I was towing a small Uhaul trailer and had a rear tire blow out. I don’t recommend that experience. Had it been a front tire there is no telling what could have happened.

I always replaced tires as a pair. When I'd get an irreparable flat or tear, the damaged tire would get tossed along with the worst of the remaining. The two new tires would always go in the rear since they take the most abuse and they'd have equal diameters

As far as I know no 60's had LSD right? And there is no traction control system to screw up with different sized tires. The tire guy recently convinced my sister to buy 2 new rear tires for her 2003 Echo after she wrecked one rear tire, saying that both tires should be the same size. But that car has no traction control, the rear wheels just spin without connecting to anything so she could have one wheel twice as big as the other one and it wouldn't affect anything except handling.

I would guess your vibration is because one of the tires needs balancing.

I wouldn't run them. I lifted my truck on 7 year old BFG's and bubbled a tire on the way home with adding the weight of the old scrap suspension into the back.

I've seen too many blowouts, and with how far a 60 has to fall to hit the pavement....It would be scary. I say replace the tires.

If you have to run old tires i would put them in the rear in case of blow out but i would rather get new tires if you can, the age of the tire can make or break your travel plans if you go far. If your friend have a Road force balancer go use it for the use tires it can detect if tires have any seperations that you cannot see.

In my trucking days, we used to always run new tyres on the steer axle and any old rubbish on the drives when money was a bit tight. If 4 new tyres isn't workable, put 2 new ones on the front, it's a lot easier to control the vehicle with a blowout on the rear than the front.

Is 8-9 years really that old? I run lots of old tires and never had a hint of a blow out. Of course one could happen tomorrow now that I say that. But they wear down and when the tread's gone too far you get a new pair. This is for Michelin LTX's that don't see hard off road use other than gravel roads. Maybe the brand and quality of the tire has more to do with it.

Is it like they say you should replace your brake fluid every couple years but when I crack open a system from 10+ years it's perfectly fine?

I hear you can pickup 10 year old Firestone’s for pretty cheap

These "old" tires have about 20k miles on them. Even at 8 - 9 Years old... There not that old. No cracking or abnormal wear.

My buddy re-balanced the spare this morning for me and we put the two "new" tires in the rear...

My house hold is currently under Covid - 19 financial strain so buying 3 new tires isn't an option at the moment. If it was, I wouldn't have bothered with the post. As soon as we're out of the weeds I'll spring for new ones.

Thank you to everyone for being concerned with my safety. I do appreciate it.

I swap out my tires every 5-6 years regardless of tread or cracking. I don't trust old tires and you telling us yours are 8+ years old is alarming.

STOP, go get new tires. You can finance new tires if you're struggling. Get rid of those old tires asap. If your friend works at a tire shop then get some used take offs.

I swap out my tires every 5-6 years regardless of tread or cracking. I don't trust old tires and you telling us yours are 8+ years old is alarming.

STOP, go get new tires. You can finance new tires if you're struggling. Get rid of those old tires asap. If your friend works at a tire shop then get some used take offs.

You’re all right. I’m gonna head on down to the tire store and get 3 new ones.

thanks all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom