How many of you wash/pressure wash your engine bays frequently? Is it safe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do wash the engine and bay at the car wash. I spray the engine with degreaser, wash the body then come back to engine bay and spray down at high pressure rinse setting but don’t pull the trigger in most areas where I can actually sever wires and s***e, just whatever pressure it comes out without my hand on the trigger. Then I finish it off with the spot free rinse setting with trigger on…which isn’t much pressure. Just did this two days ago. Never had any issues.

I don't see why an engine ever needs to be pressure washed. If it got mud splashed on it, then a garden hose should suffice. Otherwise you're more LIKELY(not necessarily) gonna cause an issue. High pressure, cold water is one of the least efficient ways to clean up oil based soils(think about doing the dishes).
So you're better off going at it carefully and thoroughly, or not doing it at all which I honestly think is fine too, engine bays aren't supposed to be clean. plus, Why would anyone want to remove the lovely corrosion protective film!

I clean less often and take a more methodical approach. I target each part individually. I start with a plastic bag over distributor and hose any mud, leaves, etc off with a low pressure garden hose, avoiding the valve cover and throttle body areas.
-Timing cover area can't even be seen so I don't bother cleaning down there.
-Distributor gets cleaned with naptha soaked towel, same with valve cover, intake manifold, throttle body, and head. In other words, aluminum parts get solvent based cleansers.
-Air box, hoses, plastic covers(not the fuse box cover), fender surfaces, hood seals get wiped with water based degreaser(simple green, zep industrial purple) on a rag or sprayed and agitated. then thoroughly rinsed. Sometimes a final wipe if I care about water spots.
-Wire harness and connectors especially get a wipe with a mild cleaner on a towel and then another wipe with a damp paper towel, if anything at all. most of the time it's not even worth trying to get them spotless. I'll rewrap with high temp electrical tape if it really bothers me.

What was the issue with the simple green?
It's an alkaline cleaner, can and will attack aluminum if not completely rinsed off or left on for too long.

I like a clean engine bay. no high pressure needed ;)
1630635428336.png

I went on YouTube and watched a ChrisFix video. He has a 5 step method that does takes more time, and you basically clean your LC likes it’s a toddler, but I have had no issues after cleaning. He said it would take two hours and it took me four, but I sure like how it looks under the hood.

I power wash '80s engine bays on a regular basis. Dozens of them. I hate working on a nasty engine if I do not have to and I hate sending one back to the customer dirty. Just avoid the distributor vents with any direct up close spray and don't get carried away on the cap/wire connections either. Other than that. go crazy.

Mark...

Nice. Where did you source the coolant hose that goes back into the thermostat housing from the the firewall. The curvy one right below the PAIR system.
Only available as an assembly with the metal tube🤦‍♂️

Nice. Where did you source the coolant hose that goes back into the thermostat housing from the the firewall. The curvy one right below the PAIR system.
That hose is NLA . I was very Lucky and a another Mud member had a spare he so generously gave me, Thanks @baldilocks.
The work around hose is a Gates 18787
1630679089746.png

wrong NLA
Last time I checked, last year, it was still available, at least my parts supplier said so. I guess it’s another NLA item🤦‍♂️

I’m replacing it with the newer full tube either way since I did the PAIR delete!

Last time I checked, last year, it was still available, at least my parts supplier said so. I guess it’s another NLA item🤦‍♂️

I’m replacing it with the newer full tube either way since I did the PAIR delete!
Longer tube is NLA also 🤷‍♂️

I pressure wash mine almost everytime I go to the car wash. Keeps it clean and easy to work on. Always do it with a warm engine, not hot. At a good distance and avoid the distributor.

Never had an issue. Always fires up like a champ.

Probably done this 50 to 100 times.

Rumor has it ... 2 runs thru a Wyoming car wash will fix you right up.

washing of vehicles is highly overrated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom