How many of you have basically never had any serious issue with your 80's? (1 Viewer)

How much maintenance have you done on your 80?

• Practically none, <$1000. No serious issues at all.

Votes: 89 50.0%
  • Between $1001-$2000.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Between $2001-$3000.

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Between $3001-$4000.

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • More than $4001 dollars.

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reading this board can lead to a biased picture of a repair-prone, head-gasket-eating monster that will attack your wallet with reckless abandon and leave you stranded at the slightest provocation, because nobody tells you when it's working handily. The reason I'm creating this topic is to give a less biased picture to people regarding this truck. It's really been extremely reliable and I suspect many others are too. Not mods, just repairs. PM doesn't count, so if you did your HG for giggles, that doesn't count. This also doesn't include baselining, belts, fluids, or the cost of the stickers on your rear hatch. The repair has to have been something that was actually broken.

What repairs have you had to do?

How much have your necessary repairs cost you, roughly?

How many miles have you put on the truck?

We'll go first:

==============================
What repairs have you had to do?

The silicone intake hose, at 85 dollars, had a gash in it. New injectors were the only other necessary thing at roughly $200 (thank you for the howto @george_tlc ). We also did a new cap, wires, plugs, cleaned the upper intake manifold, none of which were necessary (or really even worn), so I'm not counting them.

How much have your necessary repairs cost you, roughly?

Just about 285 dollars, and a lot of time and curse words.

How many miles have you put on the truck?

About 10,000 in the year we've had it.

No serious issues with my 97. 247k and still running strong with no reason for me to think anything will happen. Maintenance is key....and a cool (as in temperature) running truck.

23 years. Approximately $21,000 on maintenance (tires, brakes, hoses, belts, other wear and tear items, fluids). Zero catastrophic repairs. Never left stranded. Total cost of ownership, $60,000 including purchase price new in 1992. Monthly ownership cost of approximately $217/month (not including gas or insurance). A Corolla has an ownership cost of $325/month. So the life cycle cost of my 80 has been excellent. I'd hop in it tomorrow and drive it across country. 238k on the clock.

No serious issues with the truck, all the issues are with me. lol.

I think you are still playing catch up with @NLXTACY on "throwing money at my 80"... But he did have a head start...

In my case, mostly fluid leaks, repairs are expensive. Pms are more expensive and the mods are way too expensive. Mileage put on? I would say about 1k/truck/yr.

Last edited:
No "repairs" - only maintenance. Typical base lining stuff.

I bought it at 142k miles and currently have 166k miles and no issues. It's a beast.

Almost 265k and haven't needed any repairs except damage done by the trail

Bunches and bunches and bunches of miles of ZERO serious problems and no expensive work done. Only maintenance and not really OCD about some things. That is why I buy Land Cruisers made by Japanese people.

1997 Land Cruiser, 210,000 miles. Had 130,000 miles when I bought it. Only thing that had to be repaired was when it threw a P0401 and needed to get if fixed to pass smog. Nothing wrong with the engine - just emissions stuff. I replaced the o2 sensors as well. The rest has been maintenance.

Bought in 2007 with 112k on the clock. Just turned over 190k.

Still on the 1st HG. Run s***ty gas, forget about oil changes all the time, haven't open the diff for an oil change in sometime. Topped of the birfs once with some grease. Leaks like sieve.

Issues with my ownership:
1) PHH exploded (no damage, caught it quick)
2) EGR (just replace the modulator)
3) Power steering pump rebuild (not the lines, just pump)
4) 3 Radiators (1st OEM, 2nd faulty, 3rd some crappy tin thing)
5) Would'nt call it a problem, but CDL switch sticky
6) Some odd issue with my ABS (pulled the fuse and forgot fixing it.... someday... maybe)
7) Cruiser control doesn't work anymore.... not concerned
8) Inttermtitant wipers (probably my issue with the cruise)

Yep pile of garbage I tell you!

:flipoff2:

Bought i at 185,000 and less than 2 years later i am at 218,000. So i have put a LOT of mileage on it. Lots of PM. it did have a after market radiator (until i broke it and put in a OEM) and a reman starter from PO. So those had been replaced at some time.

Issues:
1. Brake booster failed. I think the booster was $40 used?

2. I broke a radiator out wheeling. I dont know if that really counts.

3. One of my rear windows does not go up or down. I will fix it at some point.

4. EGR module broke. I just removed it. But if it had been repaired right i guess it would have been expensive.

5. A/C has slow leak but works great for about 5 months

6. A/C pulley was squeaky and needed to be replaced. Dont know if that is considered broken or PM.

Last edited:
Purchased my 97 in 2000, with 35k on the odometer. She was solid as a rock till 2010, when my son was out wheeling with friends. Well the rest is history, she had approx. 150k when this happened...
image.jpeg

Only has left me stranded once due to a corroded positive battery cable. Strapped it back to Moab and figured out the problem the following morning. Drove it home and spent $100 building new battery cables all around. Other than that I broke off a front lower radius arm hanger but drove it home and fixed it myself. A couple hundred bucks in parts/materials there for what was trail damage anyway.

Other than that it's all been PM and wear items. I've had the truck since 2007 and put 130K on it. I got it with 81K

It's still a money pit if you factor in the mods and overall cost of ownership. But there are far worse habits out there. When it's replacement probably be a Cruiser again.

Mostly pm and maintenance. Replaced the radiator/fan clutch, phh. That's about it. Rear brake pads. 130k. Barely broken in.

Brake rotors & pads had to be replaced all around, as well as both DS brake calipers & parking brake hardware; 85k miles. Sticking brake Pistons took out the DS rotors.

Original radiator cracked on the way to get the rotors installed, so one of those. Add in an o2 sensor & seat gears @ 40k miles and it's been a pretty easy ride thus far. Vehicle spent first 10 years & 39,436 miles mostly in & around a coastal airport parking lot which I believe caused the mild rust in target areas.

Wc

Bought in 12/1999 with 129K miles now has double the original, now 258K. I believe orig HG.
I am 2nd owner. PO used as pavement princess & not much maint history - just fluids.
1. Had to replace the front rotors 'cause the P.O. had 'em ground down to minimum.
2. 3 or four rear lug studs sheared at different times due to improper torque when P.O. took rig to tire shops.(My theory)
3. Starter replaced - should have rebuilt, but done before I found IH8MUD. (Common problem)
4. Replace alternator brushes.
5. PHH replaced due to weeping coolant.
6. Replace broken steering column cover.
7. Replace fan clutch.
8. Replace leaking OEM radiator.
9. O2 sensors.
10. Most expenses have been maintenance (necessary) and mods (not so necessary...lol)
11. Best rig I've ever owned and now owned by me for 16 years making it the one I've owned the longest.....wonder why....:rolleyes:
12. Roughly $1375 all told. (Does not include mods...lol)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom