How many of you have basically never had any serious issue with your 80's? (1 Viewer)

How much maintenance have you done on your 80?

• Practically none, <$1000. No serious issues at all.

Votes: 89 50.0%
  • Between $1001-$2000.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Between $2001-$3000.

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Between $3001-$4000.

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • More than $4001 dollars.

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

276K on the clock. I do most maintenance, I think the most I ever spent was having a new compressor put in for the AC system, had the alternator replaced at about 250K. The engine is getting tired and has periodic shudders now, so I'm probably due for a rebuild around 300K, I expect.

Right around $1K here - mostly maintenance - just about everything JonHeld has recommended on his site or what I've found here. Been trying to figure out how to make the 3FE get up a freeway hill at >=65mph and......that ain't happenin'. Put about 11K miles on it in the 2.5 years I've had it - only major issue I had when was when I inadvertently yanked the AFM wiring harness out - fixed it myself after some misery, cursing and a little soldering once I found out how to fix it (thx Mud!).

148K on the odo...

Anything I've done has been with OEM parts so that's where the main cost has been. I also did the "big brake" upgrade on my '92 which involves 100-series pads and new 93+ rotors, had the dealership balance the rear drums (there were a few bucks in there). Remaining things I need to get to:
  • valve adjustment
  • TPS adjustment (idling a wee bit low)
  • might replace ground wires throughout engine bay
  • rebuild starter (definitely due)
  • fuel sock filter
  • others, long week, brain dead......

After owning a 1984 FJ60 for 25 years I bought my second FZJ80 a 40th Anv. I'm up to 230K and no issues. Only pm, the key to Cruiser longevity. I did replace the radiator at 210k to protect my HG. It's just a pig that sucks gas but it gets me everywhere and back again.

Devo

A wire between the ECU and the underhood fuse box had a toasted connector. Never really figured out WHY? Had the symptoms of a bad ECU relay but replacing it did not fix it. Kinda frustratin when it's rainin n blowin up a storm and yur Gittin soaked and cold as hell tracing wiring all over the engine bay and the dash! Boy! That was a fun day!
That's about a worst case scenario. Mechanical items tend to still allow you a way out, electrical is another story.

Bought my '97 with 150k, did a lot of PM but the only issues were a cracked radiator top and that damn P401 code that has never been resolved after replacing all major components. So at 173k after 3-4 years I checked between $1k and $2k, but I currently have a non responsive center diff and a LOUD exhaust leak at the header - downpipe connection, so what these will cost I don't know.

Own 4 80 series in the past 11 years, highest mileage one was 165k. Never have major problem and never break down. But I am crazy with maintenance and replacing only Genuine Toyota parts as PM before things break down.

1994, bought it with 154k on the odo. Sitting at 180k now. Rebuilt the knuckles, replaces ps ads sand rotors, sand a new radiator. Base lining was probably the most expensive. Originals HG. Lots of hot weather wheeling, and never a problem yet. Need to do plugs, wires, Cap etc, and a new intake hose eventually. Have belts on hand, put not done yet. I'd he's ad for New York as it sits right now.

Great thread!! Has anybody been stranded due to a blown PHH? That always has me worried. Mine was replaced at a Toyota Indy and they used regular hose with clamps. I keep a spare ignition coil, igniter, and fuel pump with me all the time. My biggest worry is being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

My '93 with the 1HD-T with 240K kms is in great running order as I and the previous owner have kept up on the PM work including BEB's. At some point here I imagine I'll need to get the injectors and maybe the pump serviced but for now it just keep stoking along like a good 1HD does. Love this truck..!!

Great thread!! Has anybody been stranded due to a blown PHH? That always has me worried. Mine was replaced at a Toyota Indy and they used regular hose with clamps. I keep a spare ignition coil, igniter, and fuel pump with me all the time. My biggest worry is being stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

My PHH just blew the other day at 240k. Im still driving it, just have to refill the radiator oveflow tank daily with water. Its a minor leak..so i was fortunate. Im waiting on my PHH kit to come in.

My PHH just blew the other day at 240k. Im still driving it, just have to refill the radiator oveflow tank daily with water. Its a minor leak..so i was fortunate. Im waiting on my PHH kit to come in.

Not a good idea to keep driving it, I will park until the PHH is replaced before driving it again. With air in the cooling system given 1FZ-FE sensitivity to heat, that is a time bomb and the consequences can leave you curse yourself for the rest of your life!!! :bang:

Purchased in summer of 2010 with 210K miles for $3000. 245K miles now.

Only left me and family stranded once due to bad battery that i knew was on borrowed time but happened to s*** the bed while I was in the woods fishing with my kids.

Off-roading in Nevada 2010 , steep slow climb in 105 heat and stalled, check engine light came on "misfire". Backed down, checked out and couldn't find, see issue. Drove home towing 2500# trailer, no issues . In garage found lightly browned wire harness at EGR. Cool wrap tape $8. No further issues here

Different time - HG began to show signs of issues in middle of Nevada with coolant overflow and higher than normal temps on ultragauge. Continued through Nevada and back home towing 2500# trailer with no issues . Drove another 500 miles trying to diagnose, finally did block test and found HG to be bad. Never stranded but that sucked up $2500 with lots of other "while you're there."

PM stuff way too much calculate. Accessories/upgrades - obscene.

TCO = $3000 + $2500+$8+PMs+ACCESSORIES (I'm ashamed and afraid to calculate)

Most dependable vehicle we ever owned - YES.

I am a little confused. I though this thread was about repairs, NOT PM ITEMS. But i see alot of people mention the cost of there PM. Just to help stay on topic, what are we trying to track here? PM cost or items that HAD TO BE DONE because they were broken?

I am a little confused. I though this thread was about repairs, NOT PM ITEMS. But i see alot of people mention the cost of there PM. Just to help stay on topic, what are we trying to track here? PM cost or items that HAD TO BE DONE because they were broken?

Agree! A SERIOUS problem to me is one that stops you dead in your tracks, or at least is a critical situation that will likely lead to large amounts of repairs.

I've had the truck for about 8k miles, but bought it at 300k. I've replaced a bunch of parts that were worn out, but technically nothing was "broken."

Transfer box started to grind, I managed to get a reconditioned manual gearbox complete with a second hand transfer for around $2000 of your dollars, I fitted a clutch as well but did not count that in, it was still good but done it anyway.

I had no thoughts whatsoever about spending money on this car, possibly one of the most capable and reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

regards

Dave

Nothing really bad has come up. There has been less significant things but the following are the larger items:
Started began to act up - rebuilt it.
Front hubs started leaking - rebuilt front and rear axles + brakes 'while in there'. This was the biggest and messiest job so far.
Windscreen seal started leaking - replaced seal and glass.
A/c stopped working due to hole in condenser - replaced it and recharged system.
Engine started missing when warming up during rain - replaced plug wires, dizzy cap/rotor.
Exhaust started leaking and rattling due to age - replaced it.

Truck is now at about 181k and counting.

254,000 on mine and the only real issue that I had to address has been the PHH. Bought a kit to fix and was out for under $100 I think it was.

Just did almost 7,000 miles hitting up the San Juan Mountains, Moab, and Rubicon along the way and I need to do the brakes, axle seal on the driver side, and the o-rings on the ARB up front.

:beer:

I've spent a bunch on maintenance, but it's all been preventative so far, on both my HDJ81's. Knock on wood, no breakdowns on either truck that I can recall, aside from the brake master cylinder on the current one. I call it baselining a 20+ year old truck.

On the current one, I had ATEB do the following before I flew out to the west coast to pick it up:
-front axle service
-rear axle service
-BEB's
-oil change
-trans fluid change
-3" turbo back exhaust (not maintenance)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom