How long should new drum brakes last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a reputable LC mechanic redo all my drum brakes about 300 miles ago, and they started out real firm and worked great. Recently they needed some pumping up before they would stop, and now I am getting almost nothing, and having to downshift/use the E brake to fully stop :oops:

How long are they supposed to last? Seems like a short lifespan for a full rebuild. I don't know much so maybe it's normal. Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately early Toyota Land Cruiser brakes are not self adjusting. You need to adjust your brakes periodically to keep the pedal height up. Rear brakes usually set the pedal height, but you need to adjust frt and rear. Do you have a Factory Service Manual(FSM)?

Forgot to mention, it's a 1970 model. I don't have an FSM but is there still one uploaded here?

Yes, or much easier to search for a video on YouTube for 40 series brake adjustment

is the master still full?
you shouldn't need to adjust the brakes in 300 miles, something is off
might need to go back and have them looked at.

is it an early or late 1970? single or dual circuit system?

Are you saying you had firm brakes then at some point had to pump pedal to get pressure and now the pedal goes to floor? If this is your situation the master could have failed.

This is great to know! I felt like I needed to adjust my breaks but was unsure if it was self adjusting. Luckily I just bought a Toyota ss tool break spoon from city racer that will be here tomorrow. Hopfully its better than the screw driver i used when I redid the breaks last winter.

I bought that tool from them - works great.

Some people a brake riders and they wear stuff out faster than people that don't. New shoes in a turned drum will require adjusting until the shoes fit the drum diameter better. Back in the 80's a local brake shop would grind the shoes to exactly fit the turned drum size - no adjustment was necessary for a long time.

is the master still full?
you shouldn't need to adjust the brakes in 300 miles, something is off
might need to go back and have them looked at.

is it an early or late 1970? single or dual circuit system?
What he said ^^^^

Is there still fluid in the master cylinder reservoir?

Pretty sure any adjustment is to compensate for pads wearing, and they should not wear fast enough in 300 miles to need much, if any, especially not foot to the floor and nothing.

Might also check wheel bearings, but I'd doubt they could be bad enough to cause that much trouble and not be a hot grinding mess themselves.

There is probably a loose fitting, or similar kinda leak somewhere?

Usually the first indication of brake fluid or lubricant contamination on the shoes is pulling to one side when stopping. Sounds like the shoes need adjusting.

New shoes in a turned drum will require adjusting until the shoes fit the drum diameter better.

This!

I had to adjust mine several times in the first month as the shoes wore in to fit the drums. After that, they have required much less attention. This is just the way of drum brakes.

What he said ^^^^

Is there still fluid in the master cylinder reservoir?

Pretty sure any adjustment is to compensate for pads wearing, and they should not wear fast enough in 300 miles to need much, if any, especially not foot to the floor and nothing.

Might also check wheel bearings, but I'd doubt they could be bad enough to cause that much trouble and not be a hot grinding mess themselves.

There is probably a loose fitting, or similar kinda leak somewhere?
Amazing what brake fluid will do to brake performance.

Baby steps. Thanks all.

You should look for leaks around the master, maybe pull the drums and take a look also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom