How "bad" is the Sequoia relative to LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having towed extensively with both 4.7 and 5.7 powertrains, the 5.7 w/ 6 speed is in another world. The 1st gen Sequoia is nice, but is comparatively light duty when placed against the 2nd gen. Go drive them both.
1st gen seq has rear axle, 2nd gen has IRS. is that issue?

There's no issue with the IRS, it's HD and capable. If you buy a 2nd gen w/o air suspension, and find it has more squat than you like, aftermarket airbags are cheap and easy.

What do I like more, my money, or a vehicle that I have a 50/50 shot of lasting me a long time? answer, my money. Even with new vehicles these days you don't know what you are going to end up with quality wise and used cars, even well researched ones, can let you down because of past history. I've done my best not to get too worried about making a poor decision. Best you can do is well informed and not drop too much money so you can sell it and get another without being out too much. That said, I would go with a sequoia over LC, I'm not into all the "benefits/upgrades" of the LC for the money, Rarely will anyone use it for those things. My 1st gen handles itself well on the trail when needed and does great getting my family of 6 around. I drive a 5.7 tundra for work and it is a great powerhouse, but I don't miss anything when I'm in the 4.7 and towing a trailer for camping.

What do I like more, my money, or a vehicle that I have a 50/50 shot of lasting me a long time? answer, my money. Even with new vehicles these days you don't know what you are going to end up with quality wise and used cars, even well researched ones, can let you down because of past history. I've done my best not to get too worried about making a poor decision. Best you can do is well informed and not drop too much money so you can sell it and get another without being out too much. That said, I would go with a sequoia over LC, I'm not into all the "benefits/upgrades" of the LC for the money, Rarely will anyone use it for those things. My 1st gen handles itself well on the trail when needed and does great getting my family of 6 around. I drive a 5.7 tundra for work and it is a great powerhouse, but I don't miss anything when I'm in the 4.7 and towing a trailer for camping.

I'm on you with that. If the LC is only 20% better for reliability and 50% better for offroading which I dont do, I wouldnt justify paying 100% more for it than for the Sequoia as I'd be in it only for the 20% better reliability.

Last edited:
I suspect the 2nd Sequoia marches right next, or very close, to the Land Cruiser in reliability. Again, they share much design architecture and many parts. Marathon Runners: Vehicles That Will Last For Over 200,000 -- Even 300,000 -- Miles

These make me feel even better about my 2012 Sequoia with only 140K on it. It isn't the most attractive thing on the road, but it does what it's supposed to do very well.

The sequoia with the 5.7 is a great suv. I would have no hesitation in going that route. If you want a family hauler and some offroad capability that's a good route.

and the 4.7 1st gen is... poor? I was under impression that the 2UZ is amazing, but if that is true, then what about the body/frame of the 1st gen sequoia isnt ideal so that people are saying the 2nd gen sequoia is so much better?

I like the 1st gen a bit more because it isnt SOOO huge but it is big. Also, it has a solid rear axle.

and the 4.7 1st gen is... poor? I was under impression that the 2UZ is amazing, but if that is true, then what about the body/frame of the 1st gen sequoia isnt ideal so that people are saying the 2nd gen sequoia is so much better?

I like the 1st gen a bit more because it isnt SOOO huge but it is big. Also, it has a solid rear axle.
The 2uz model is fine but not as much interior space and power. Rear independent suspension is very reliable. So I wouldn't worry about solid axle being a big positive.

I’ve had the 2UZ in a 4Runner and it was a great drivetrain.

I currently drive a 2014 Sequoia with the 5.7. The 5.7 is hands down a better drivetrain for such a large SUV. The only thing I dislike is the fuel mileage, my 4.7 didn’t like being loaded so it probably wouldn’t do any better than the 5.7.

If money is a deciding factor, go with the sequoias. I have owned two and they are solid truck. When cared for, the 4.7s will run forever. There are at least 2 documented cases of million mile 4.7 engines. Do the service on the transmissions and you have a bulletproof drive train. I also LOVE the interior of the Sequoias. The seats (front and back) are very comfortable, and I am 6-1. A fair bit of cargo space is available behind the 2nd row.

Only downsire would be finding one in decent shape that has been cared for. The last 1st gen was 2007...

I have a 5.7 Tundra Crewmax I intentionally bought to tow my boat with.....the 80 is a awesome 4x4, but the 5.7 / 6sp is a hard situation to top.

I wanted a later ‘13+ LC200, but 3 yrs back they were still just too much $$.

That said, I have essentially a SR5 trim Tundra, and the only feature I plan to change is the rear seat fabric - my dog rides in it alot & leather or a good seat cover is needed as pet hair “weaves” into the Tundra cloth seat.

I have the tow package & Crewmax cab can be had with a moonroof & the back glass drops all the way - you can really vent out the cab / move some fresh air dropping all the glass but the windshield.

I don’t consider a G2 Tundra/Sequoia anything of a compromise - the LC may hold up longer for the trim & such, but a Sequoia is a great IRS & the AWD is something I do want to add into my Tundra.

The ones that I have been in and seen all have manual Part Time 4wd and not AWD?

.....Then you haven’t looked hard enough at the controls, or you just didn’t understand them.
AWD is extremely common in the G2 Sequoia platform.

If it wasn’t then I suggest you read the link below - Viktor is a sharp cookie ;)

At any rate, I‘d have no problem buying a G2 Sequoia :cool:

The LC are made in Japan and are a world class universal Overland Vehicle with an All Wheel Drive System always doing its work to help keep things going.

The Sequoia and Tundra are made in America part time 4wd trucks and are not really comparable on most levels of construction or fit and finish.

This is the actual meat and potatoes behind the difference and the reason that the LC are worth more used and in general it is pretty easy to discern the difference by even a quick test drive if you have already done so?
The space inside is also so different that a quick test might rule out the Cruiser too as it has for me,I just prefer the much roomier driving position in the trucks by far.

Having said that I just traded my LC for another Tundra as the truck just fits my needs better overall,or at least I hope so!
I wish the Tundra and Sequoia had AWD and were built to the level and for the longevity that the LC are but do not really have the money to buy the one I would want and I still would not have the space and comfort that I find in the Trucks.
EZDOG not sure about the Tundra but I own a 03 Limited Sequoia, badge says 4x4, However, because I have a locking T-Case, some call it a center diff lock, my Tree (Sequoia) operates exactly like an AWD vehicle I'm 4x4. It's due to all three diffs (or 2 and a t-case) being "open differentials" when operating 4x4 mode. When rolling 4x4 AND the T-Case lock it becomes a true 4x4 evenly distributing power front to rear. The only issue using the locker is the chance of binding. Do NOT full lock the steering when in T-Case lock mode. Purchased with 178 two years ago, currently have 241, daily driven on a 20 mile commute, offroaded weekly, no sway bar connected. Do yourself a favor and get one, with a T-Case locker of course.

20190210_132449.jpg

20200725_154635.jpg

20200725_154635.jpg

20190707_124100.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-231545_Gallery.jpg

Long Island. CT has some nice fishing spots for sure!

I am on LI also and went with the Sequoia. Got a much better deal on an 08 with under 50k on the dial. We had our heart set on a LC but the G2 was a better option for a people and gear hauler. Its great on the beach and has done some light upstate offloading.

Last edited:
Well again this is not my experience at all and I just bought a 2019 TRD Sequoia for a client in December and drove it 2000 miles to deliver it to him and that was part time only for daily use.
It clearly stated to not drive in 4wd over 60mph which to me means Part Time and not AWD use.

On the other hand I can tell you from experience that the systems in an LC and Sequoia are just not the same and the LC feel a lot more planted at all times when moving down the road to me.

My manual says not to switch to and from 2wd/AWD above 57 mph. It says nothing about driving below any speed while in AWD.

That said I am usually not going to do 80 in AWD because if the conditions warrant AWD it's not typically safe to be going 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom