How "bad" is the Sequoia relative to LC? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see a huge price difference between Sequoia and a LC100 here in the states.

I live in the north east and yes, rust is an issue, but I just want a vehicle that will reliably get me to the boat ramp (and the ~20 ft center console boat towed behind it).

I estimate 2 kids and at most 4 grown ups going on a fishing trip. I don't mind the gas mileage, but it'll be ~60 miles each way, about an hour drive.

Sequioa and LC100 come to mind for my price point. The new sequoia has IRS, and while I know next to nothing about cars, I can tell the difference in "load support" with a solid rear axle vs IRS. The older gen sequoia looks to fit the buscuit but I am wondering if the huge price difference between sequoia and LC100 is worth it.

Anyone here can point me in the right direction or have similar experiences? (I currently drive a 4runner. All stock no off road no nothing). Drive will be to and from boat ramp and perhaps a few 400 mile trips to cape cod a year.

I like the looks of the cruiser more, but I wonder if the difference makes up for it.

I'm seeing a 140k mile 03-07 cruiser go for 20k, while a sequoia for about 9-12k. Is the price difference worth it?

What I don't want to do is spend 8k more on something that is going to fall apart OR 8k more on something, that 5k of the 8k is paying for the badge as a status symbol (think GWagon) and only 3k of the price difference goes towards the better engineering/build quality/etc. Get what I'm saying?

I’d be looking at a Tundra. The bed gives you space for boat stuff and even the double cab (I have one) is fine for medium trips.

We do horse trailers, not boats and the bed is sure nice to toss stuff into.

Where are you from? I am in CT.

I’d be looking at a Tundra. The bed gives you space for boat stuff and even the double cab (I have one) is fine for medium trips.

We do horse trailers, not boats and the bed is sure nice to toss stuff into.

Where are you from? I am in CT.

Long Island. CT has some nice fishing spots for sure!

There sure are!

We raced a Sailboat for years to Gardiner's Bay. Know the area.

So to the Cape you have a long haul up I95. I’d be sure I was driving something capable of avoiding the idiots out there.

Last year I moved from a 1999 Land Cruiser to a 2002 Sequoia. My thoughts.

For your needs, I would probably go with the Sequoia. The LC is better for off-road and has better aftermarket off-road support but that doesn't sound like a major concern for you. Where the Sequoia will serve you better is when you are hauling 6 people for any distance. One of the biggest reasons I made the switch is I'm raising my girlfriends three grand children and the LC was getting to be a little cramped on long trips (it doesn't help that the 14 year old is 6 foot, 185 pounds). While the Sequoia might not be quite as luxurious as the LC, it serves my needs for a family hauler much better but still allows me to do some mild off-roading. It still a nice road trip vehicle, just not quite as plush as the LC was. I have no regrets making the switch.

Which ever one you decide on, I would advise trying to buy one from a non-rust area. The Sequoia (and Tundra) actually had a recall to replace badly rusted frames. While I was hanging out the 100 forum, I would see Land Cruisers/LX470s with fairly scary rusted frames. Worth the effort to find either one with minimal rust, even if you need to fly out and drive it back. Be sure to check the carfax, you'd be surprised how many Toyota 4x4's are bought at auto auctions in the North East and shipped back to the western US for resale.

FWIW, I picked up my 2002 Sequoia 4x4 with 97,000 miles for $7000 last year. A rust free Colorado vehicle though it does have some minor hail damage.

Last year I moved from a 1999 Land Cruiser to a 2002 Sequoia. My thoughts.

For your needs, I would probably go with the Sequoia. The LC is better for off-road and has better aftermarket off-road support but that doesn't sound like a major concern for you. Where the Sequoia will serve you better is when you are hauling 6 people for any distance. One of the biggest reasons I made the switch is I'm raising my girlfriends three grand children and the LC was getting to be a little cramped on long trips (it doesn't help that the 14 year old is 6 foot, 185 pounds). While the Sequoia might not be quite as luxurious as the LC, it serves my needs for a family hauler much better but still allows me to do some mild off-roading. It still a nice road trip vehicle, just not quite as plush as the LC was. I have no regrets making the switch.

Which ever one you decide on, I would advise trying to buy one from a non-rust area. The Sequoia (and Tundra) actually had a recall to replace badly rusted frames. While I was hanging out the 100 forum, I would see Land Cruisers/LX470s with fairly scary rusted frames. Worth the effort to find either one with minimal rust, even if you need to fly out and drive it back. Be sure to check the carfax, you'd be surprised how many Toyota 4x4's are bought at auto auctions in the North East and shipped back to the western US for resale.

FWIW, I picked up my 2002 Sequoia 4x4 with 97,000 miles for $7000 last year. A rust free Colorado vehicle though it does have some minor hail damage.

How doe sit drive at 90k miles+?

Alright? I've only heard stories from people who were non Toyota owners.

Own(ed) 80 Series, 07 Sequoia, 200 Series for perspective. The Sequoia was good for a family of 6 with several in carseats. Lots of cabin space and electrical outlets and cup holders that a LC lacks for the family and cargo on trips. Never towed and used the hitch for a cargo rack for long outings since it is still an suv and strollers take up so much space. Power was great with the 4.7 compared to the 80 in the mountains. Rolled 200k with no drivetrain issues and changed all fluids and timing belt during ownership. My wife drove it daily and was confident in the handling.

On the negative side it had more interior rattles and a cheaper build feel than the 80 that is 10 years older. The leather was just as shot too. The speakers were rotted out and it is common enough you can get replacement foam speced just for it (JBL system). It was largely rust free for a Yota but the sway bar links rusted through and separated under a bushing as well as some rust forming in the fender well. A few electrical gremlins like the rear hatch ecu that needed reset occasionally. We mainly softroaded it and struggled occasionally on loose, offcamber sections. Never really felt planted and it was pitchy. More of an SUV with 4wd feel than a 4wd vehicle that was an SUV if that makes sense. Ultimately if felt like the suspension had already worn out and rather than put money into that we traded it when most of the kids became more self sufficient and out of carseats.

The LC are made in Japan and are a world class universal Overland Vehicle with an All Wheel Drive System always doing its work to help keep things going.

The Sequoia and Tundra are made in America part time 4wd trucks and are not really comparable on most levels of construction or fit and finish.

This is the actual meat and potatoes behind the difference and the reason that the LC are worth more used and in general it is pretty easy to discern the difference by even a quick test drive if you have already done so?
The space inside is also so different that a quick test might rule out the Cruiser too as it has for me,I just prefer the much roomier driving position in the trucks by far.

Having said that I just traded my LC for another Tundra as the truck just fits my needs better overall,or at least I hope so!
I wish the Tundra and Sequoia had AWD and were built to the level and for the longevity that the LC are but do not really have the money to buy the one I would want and I still would not have the space and comfort that I find in the Trucks.

How doe sit drive at 90k miles+?

I'm amazed of how well it drives (now at 102k miles). No, it's not built to the same standard as the Land Cruiser, but if you research SUV's with the best longevity, the Land Cruiser is the only SUV that beats the Sequoia. If the Land Cruiser fits your needs and you can afford it, then you probably can't go wrong with one.

I haven't driven one or know their going price, but a 2nd generation 5.7L Sequoia might be worth a look if you can afford it. My brother moved from a 4.7L vvti 4runner to a 5.7L Tundra and says the 5.7L has much better towing capability, even though the Tundra is a heavier vehicle (he tows a 4000+ lb travel trailer).

2008 and newer Sequoia. The IRS is heavy duty, along with the remainder of the vehicle. The 5.7 is awesome. AWD. Plenty to choose from in the north east, in all price ranges.
The ones that I have been in and seen all have manual Part Time 4wd and not AWD?

Actually, they are all of the above... that is, they can be run in 2WD, AWD, AWD low range, and locked center diff 4X4 high and low range. The transfer case is the JF3A multimode, the JF2A is the fulltime unit in the 200 LC, and the JF1A part time was used in the Tundra from 2007 through 2013. The JF3A is the only case installed in the 2008+ Sequoia.

The ones that I have been in and seen all have manual Part Time 4wd and not AWD?

Last edited:
Actually, they are all of the above... that is, they can be run in 2WD, AWD, AWD low range, and locked center diff 4X4 high and low range. The transfer case is the JF3A multimode, the JF2A is the fulltime unit in the 200 LC, and the JF1A part time was used in the Tundra from 2007 through 2013. The JF3A is the only case installed in the 2008+ Sequoia.
Well again this is not my experience at all and I just bought a 2019 TRD Sequoia for a client in December and drove it 2000 miles to deliver it to him and that was part time only for daily use.
It clearly stated to not drive in 4wd over 60mph which to me means Part Time and not AWD use.

On the other hand I can tell you from experience that the systems in an LC and Sequoia are just not the same and the LC feel a lot more planted at all times when moving down the road to me.

Last edited:
When switching the Sequoia dial from 2WD to 4H, the transfer is placed in AWD. 4H doesn't lock the center diff. There is a Torsen T3 center differential, just like the LC 200. If you look just below the dial, you can see the center diff lock button. The Sequoia is arguably based on the 200, they share many parts.
IMG_3518.JPG

When switching the Sequoia dial from 2WD to 4H, the transfer is placed in AWD. 4H doesn't lock the center diff. There is a Torsen T3 center differential, just like the LC 200. If you look just below the dial, you can see the center diff lock button. The Sequoia is arguably based on the 200, they share many parts.
View attachment 2361480
I understand but the argument is that the LC is already in AWD but the big tree is not until switched there.

We just purchased a 2007 sequoia to replace the wife’s 97 80 series as a daily driver. I was looking at lc100s and lx470s but it came down to price and size. We often have 5 kids in the car and there is still plenty of space behind the 3rd row. It has a slight lift and is still plenty good off road for our needs(still own the 80 for really rough stuff). I prefer having selectable 4wd over awd. The build quality is still good relative to other SUVs. I also own a 2006 tundra double cab and the sequoia is a more comfortable ride due to the rear coils though having the truck bed is nice. Both trucks have horrible turning radiuses but it is less noticeable on the sequoia due to the shorter wheel base. I would go Sequoia because the are very reliable besides a couple of know issues and they are a great value.

We just purchased a 2007 sequoia to replace the wife’s 97 80 series as a daily driver. I was looking at lc100s and lx470s but it came down to price and size. We often have 5 kids in the car and there is still plenty of space behind the 3rd row. It has a slight lift and is still plenty good off road for our needs(still own the 80 for really rough stuff). I prefer having selectable 4wd over awd. The build quality is still good relative to other SUVs. I also own a 2006 tundra double cab and the sequoia is a more comfortable ride due to the rear coils though having the truck bed is nice. Both trucks have horrible turning radiuses but it is less noticeable on the sequoia due to the shorter wheel base. I would go Sequoia because the are very reliable besides a couple of know issues and they are a great value.

are these known issues going to strand me on highway?

Having towed extensively with both 4.7 and 5.7 powertrains, the 5.7 w/ 6 speed is in another world. The 1st gen Sequoia is nice, but is comparatively light duty when placed against the 2nd gen. Go drive them both.

Depend on what is the main use of the vehicle, this will determine if LC is better than sequoia. If towing is important, Sequoia is better than LC200. I currently drive a 2nd gen sequoia and LC200. Both LC200 and 2nd Gen sequoia share the same 5.7 engine, 3UR-FE, although earlier 2nd gen sequoia has 4.6 as cheaper option. I love the 3UR-FE engine, hence I have both.
As for 1st Gen sequoia, find one with good frame (living in NE + salt + rust). 1st Gen sequoia has national recall on rusted frame. The 4.7 engine, 2UZ-FE is very solid engine. Aside of normal maintenance (timing belt), this engine is proven as million miles engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom