How about 1973? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same here 3/1973 rustic green I've had mine for about 9 years. 2F, 3 spd,
20170220_115916.jpg
wilwoods discs, 4 plus rear carrier, and alot of rust repair.

Love my 73 that I bought in February. Previous owner upgraded to 2f engine, 4 speed trans, disc brakes. I pretty much just painted and replaced hardware...good luck with yours. They are a lot of fun on and off the road.

View attachment 1465122

Looks like you also have power steering.

I bought my 73 FJ40 over 23 years ago in a sad state of neglect. All these years later I can and do drive it dependably almost anywhere.
Priorities should be brakes, steering and dependibility. Get it reliable and upgrade/ repair as necessary. Its a 44 year old vehicle that is highly saught after.
Stay with the Mud crew. Lots of knowledge here. Most importantly, have fun with it and keep it on the road.

You will have to define rough... and show pictures to us so we can determine what stage of rough you are referring to. Otherwise we have no clue.

Start with turn signals, you'll need that for turning.... Of course, you can stick your arm out of the window to indicate a turn, but I don't know that it's a good long term solution.

Aside from that, assuming it runs and drives, do things like preventative maintenance. Do the axles look good? brakes work well? Engine cools effectively? Does the battery stay charged? Just basic reliability stuff.

I have a 1973 but did upgrade the brakes and put in a 4 speed ,I've had her for twenty years and she has been faithful all that time .

I bought my 73 FJ40 over 23 years ago in a sad state of neglect. All these years later I can and do drive it dependably almost anywhere.
Priorities should be brakes, steering and dependibility. Get it reliable and upgrade/ repair as necessary. Its a 44 year old vehicle that is highly saught after.
Stay with the Mud crew. Lots of knowledge here. Most importantly, have fun with it and keep it on the road.

Had mine almost twenty-three years. No mods or even driven it. Just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Someone needed out of their garage for a new project. FST with everything except the original canvas. Has the original reverse light and headrests. Couple the harder parts to find for a 73. Reverse light is 73 only and headrests changed after 74.

I had no idea the 1973 FJ40 was so unique electrically speaking, until I started documenting the wiring harness from one.
I always thought the 72-73 harnesses were almost the same. Not even close! So far I have documented 24 differences between those two years. Everything from wire color changes to moving stuff like the dimmer switch to the column.
In a couple of months I will have the 73 harness completely documented. Next will be the 1974 harness if I can locate a good one somewhere. The E-Bay harnesses seem to have dried up recently...

Woodpecker, please don't tow it more than the length of your driveway with those tow bar mounting brackets.

Post up some more pic's so we have something to really complain about.

As always, maintenance first, fluids, belts, brakes etc.

I had no idea the 1973 FJ40 was so unique electrically speaking, until I started documenting the wiring harness from one.
I always thought the 72-73 harnesses were almost the same. Not even close! So far I have documented 24 differences between those two years. Everything from wire color changes to moving stuff like the dimmer switch to the column.
In a couple of months I will have the 73 harness completely documented. Next will be the 1974 harness if I can locate a good one somewhere. The E-Bay harnesses seem to have dried up recently...

The turn signal indicators are in the speedometer face and not the dash on the 73 but wiring to the dash is still the old style not the round plug. Also first year of a radio. Nothing to do with wiring but the knob used to open the vent in cowl moved towards center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom