1970 body 1973 frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 1970 fj40 with 3 on the tree, the drive train was removed bad engine. I have all the old parts.I also purchased a restored 1973 frame with a 4 speed and front disk brakes. I Am thinking the quickest way back on the road would be to put the 1970 body on to 1973 frame. I most likely have a 4 speed transfer case so I am wondering how much floor cutting I will need to to do. I plan on putting the 70 body back on the 70 frame down the road. Thanks

20231206_133851.jpg

20231203_083402.jpg

Screenshot_20231202_194116_Facebook.jpg

That appears to be a "late" 73 frame, customarily known as a 1974 model.

Evidenced by the rear frame with cutouts for the rear combination lights and a four speed transmission. Four speed came out in the 74 model year, but a 50 year-old truck may be anything.

Is the oil filter just in front of the distributor? If so, you could have the 1F + 0.5 (1.5F?) engine if the drive train isn't a transplant. Check the engine code on the SOR.com website

Last edited:

Evidenced by the rear frame with cutouts for the rear combination lights and a four speed transmission. Four speed came out in the 74 model year, but a 50 year-old truck may be anything.

Is the oil filter just in front of the distributor? If so, you could have the 1F + 0.5 (1.5F?) engine if the drive train isn't a transplant. Check the engine code on the SOR.com website
Thank you

the 1970 body was made in the early 1970 year. single circut master, no booster is the first few months of production, halfway thru 1970 they added a booster and dual circut brakes
steering shaft is direct mounted to the steering box, the 1973 has a rag joint seperating the 2

the 1970 body was made in the early 1970 year. single circut master, no booster is the first few months of production, halfway thru 1970 they added a booster and dual circut brakes
steering shaft is direct mounted to the steering box, the 1973 has a rag joint seperating the 2
I will be adding a duel master will the 1970 steering column bolt on to newe frame or do I need a rag joint I also have a new column but not sure yet if I have all the parts

Yes f1.5

I will be adding a duel master will the 1970 steering column bolt on to newe frame or do I need a rag joint I also have a new column but not sure yet if I have all the parts
this will be the hardest part.
the columns are quite different, and getting the newer column on the older tub is going to require body work.

will you be adding a booster for the dual master? that will require some work also

Can I use existing 1970 column to 74 frame is rag joint all I need ? Thanks
There is no rag joint on the 70. The box and shaft travel as one unit. The wiring harness will require a pretty good rework going this route, unless you use the 70 harness.

There is no rag joint on the 70. The box and shaft travel as one unit. The wiring harness will require a pretty good rework going this route, unless you use the 70 harnes
I am using the 1970 wiring harness and want to use 1970 column will the 1970 column work with late 73 steering box

will the 1970 column work with late 73 steering box
NO, as stated above the 1970 setup is 1 piece column and box, the 1973 setup is 2 pieces column and box seperated/connected by the rag joint

IIRC the frame mount the box attaches to is different between 1970 and 1973

NO, as stated above the 1970 setup is 1 piece column and box, the 1973 setup is 2 pieces column and box seperated/connected by the rag joint

IIRC the frame mount the box attaches to is different between 1970 and

IIRC the frame mount the box attaches to is different between 1970 and 1973
Thank you any recommendations to make it work

Should I go to newer column

the newer column would need some firewall work as the bracket mounts to the firewall for support.
the 1970 doesn't need a support as it goes directly to the box.

might be easier to remove the rivets from the steering box mount and switch over to the newer frame.
check to make sure the mounts are similar in how they mount on the frame, I think they are.

any way you do this will need some extra work as it is not a direct bolt in.
If you get a later 70's column the key switch will be in the column,

the newer column would need some firewall work as the bracket mounts to the firewall for support.
the 1970 doesn't need a support as it goes directly to the box.

might be easier to remove the rivets from the steering box mount and switch over to the newer frame.
check to make sure the mounts are similar in how they mount on the frame, I think they are.

any way you do this will need some extra work as it is not a direct bolt in.
If you get a later 70's column the key switch will be in the column,
Great info thats what I am looking for to get going will update steering thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom