1973 Model Reference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 LVA (USA hardtop) 1/73 141868

Locking door for gas cap:
View attachment 3577357

Dash with front and rear fan controls, both two-speed. Also, hardtop dome light switch just above ash tray.
View attachment 3577359
Offset link rod for cowl vent to avoid "short" AM radio.
View attachment 3577360

Last year for rear step with inboard attachment screws. 1974 moved to triple combination lamps cut into the rear frame, requiring bumperettes to move closer to center. The 74 and later steps overlapped the bumperettes, using the same screws.
View attachment 3577362
Beautiful truck... From what I can see of it.

Beautiful truck... From what I can see of it.
Thanks.

Restored as stock as stock can be.
1709948874724.jpeg

Only upgrades from 1973 were heater valve and coolant tank from later model FJ40's.

1709948951256.jpeg

The 73 room light on the hard top did not have a switch in it. 9/73 the switch in the light. After I flipped my 68 in 1975 I purchased a hard top from a 73 in 1976. It had the same room light. I used the 68 light on the passenger side.

Never figured why 72-74 FHT have footman loops and a hole for the Vader light with a plug. Here my 73's Vader light and the hole a PO cut in the area for a trailer plug used to operate a winch made from a military jet engine starter. Rest of the dash is just as hacked up.
IMG_20200923_121002604.jpg

I have a couple of 78 cowls I thought of using or a 73 FHT dash with only a few extra holes. It has the factory hole for the Vader light hole.
20211030_162111.jpg

Should get a picture from the front side. One of the few things I know exactly where it's at.

Thanks.

Restored as stock as stock can be.
View attachment 3577446

Only upgrades from 1973 were heater valve and coolant tank from later model FJ40's.

View attachment 3577447

Can't remember is this 73 from bought from McCoy Motors on Switzer Canyon Dr in Flagstaff?
Air you running all the US emissions? Mine were removed but think it was in the all the extra parts that came vehicle.

@Living in the Past
Can't remember is this 73 from bought from McCoy Motors on Switzer Canyon Dr in Flagstaff?
Air you running all the US emissions? Mine were removed but think it was in the all the extra parts that came vehicle.
The truck was bought new by the PO in Holyoke, MA.

I bought it in 1977, and eventually ended up in Holbrook, AZ working a startup of a power plant in Joseph City, AZ.

My wife bought me the winch from McCoy Motors for my birthday in 1979.

The emissions stuff was removed after the air rail rusted out, and Massachusetts ends emissions inspections after 20 years.

I have all the evaporation components, just need to fabricate the tube from the fuel separator to the canister. Fortunately, there's seldom if any odor so it's on page 2 of the "honey-do" list.

Last edited:
Other features of 1973 model year which may or may not be common to other years:

Illuminated headlight switch:
1709990497095.jpeg

Last year for hardtop "dome" light just behind driver's B pillar, with dashboard located switch:
1709990469236.jpeg

Last edited:
Was the hard top dome light controlled by the vader light switch or a separate switch near the ash tray? I am using a push/pull HL switch with a quarter turn switch for parking lights. I use the quarter turn switch for the dome light.

Was the hard top dome light controlled by the vader light switch or a separate switch near the ash tray? I am using a push/pull HL switch with a quarter turn switch for parking lights. I use the quarter turn switch for the dome light.
Hardtop dome light controlled by a pull-on push-off switch above the ashtray.
2nd picture in post #16, above.

@Living in the Past

The truck was bought new by the PO in Holyoke, MA.

I bought it in 1977, and eventually ended up in Holbrook, AZ working a startup of a power plant in Joseph City, AZ.

My wife bought me the winch from McCoy Motors for my birthday in 1979.

The emissions stuff was removed after the air rail rusted out, and Massachusetts ends emissions inspections after 20 years.

I have all the evaporation components, just need to fabricate the tube from the fuel separator to the canister. Fortunately, there's seldom if any odor so it's on page 2 of the "honey-do" list.

I remember the power plant in Joseph City. It was coal fired if I remember correctly. Believe around 1972 working swing shift at the paper mill in Flagstaff a bunch of went to Joseph City to catfish in the pond around the power plant. That was during a short window when Arizona lower the drinking age to nineteen. A lot of fond memories of Flagstaff the during seventies. McCoy Motors was mainly a line up of GM vehicles. In 1973 I bought a Monte Carlo in Phoenix. At the time Toyota I would have both would have been a Celica ST. A/C was high on the list of must have. Did buy my 68 FJ40 across the street at Gus' Auto unlimited. That was in 1974. Monte Carlo is long gone. 68 I still have. Toyota is now stand alone dealership. Parts of group believe is out of Nevada. Datsun and Subaru shared a tiny dealership. Not sure Honda even had a dealership in town in the early seventies.

Do you remember the cost of a new PTO winch? Believe my 1974 Downey catalogue listed it for $440. Not sure if it was for the complete kit. Wasn't until the mid eighties before I could afford a used one. Paid too much. The next two together were cheaper.

There is a member who did buy a new 1973 FJ40 in Flagstaff. Just can't remember who.

I remember the power plant in Joseph City. It was coal fired if I remember correctly. Believe around 1972 working swing shift at the paper mill in Flagstaff a bunch of went to Joseph City to catfish in the pond around the power plant. That was during a short window when Arizona lower the drinking age to nineteen. A lot of fond memories of Flagstaff the during seventies. McCoy Motors was mainly a line up of GM vehicles. In 1973 I bought a Monte Carlo in Phoenix. At the time Toyota I would have both would have been a Celica ST. A/C was high on the list of must have. Did buy my 68 FJ40 across the street at Gus' Auto unlimited. That was in 1974. Monte Carlo is long gone. 68 I still have. Toyota is now stand alone dealership. Parts of group believe is out of Nevada. Datsun and Subaru shared a tiny dealership. Not sure Honda even had a dealership in town in the early seventies.

Do you remember the cost of a new PTO winch? Believe my 1974 Downey catalogue listed it for $440. Not sure if it was for the complete kit. Wasn't until the mid eighties before I could afford a used one. Paid too much. The next two together were cheaper.

There is a member who did buy a new 1973 FJ40 in Flagstaff. Just can't remember who.

$535 or so IIRC. For sure somewhat over $500 but not by too much. Included tax and some shipping cost.

Came in a wooden crate, including all associated parts to completely install a functional winch. PTO box with gasket, entire drive train including shear pin with both ends tapered and cotter pins for each end. Four bolts, nuts and washers for the winch unit mounting, including a large pair and a smaller pair of wedges to adapt the sloping truck frame to the winch channels.

The hardest thing was to locate where to cut the transmission tunnel for the shift lever.

Shift lever, lever pivoting shaft with lock washer, cotter pin, and shift linkage. Even the locking plate for the transmission tunnel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom