Home made lx470 AHC over ride (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally bought a 2005 LX470, really wanted a land cruiser but they are a lot more expensive. Anyway, I didn't want the AHC suspension but now that I have the LX I want a way to keep in in High if I want to. Researched and all I found was a Slee over ride switch which they no longer make. I kept researching and figured out that all I need to over ride the AHC is a simple double pole-single toggle switch. I am not an electrician or a mechanic I just like to figure stuff out. All you need to do is break the 2 circuits so the AHC does not receive vehicle speed on pin 4 and 17. I don't need a bright LED to tell me if the system is on or off. Anyway, I bought a $7 dollar switch and a few wire connectors and used some wire I had laying around. I followed the Slee over ride installation instructions and wired up the new switch. You only need to splice into the 2 wires on the 26 pin connected, do not need power since there is no LED to power up. Works great! Nice little mod for under $10. Try at your own risk but it works perfectly for me. One tip though, use a round switch it would have been a lot easier to drill a hole for the switch instead of cutting out a square. Enjoy!
IMG_20200619_082320.jpg
IMG_20200619_135522_01.jpg
IMG_20200619_135522_02.jpg

Good job figuring it out. I might have to try this. Looks super easy and cheap. The best kind of mod.

is there a risk of breaking CV axles when in ahc hi? asking f I'm the perspective of a daily driver.

The real value of this is for off roaring right?

Would just pulling out pins 4 and 17 from connector disable the speed limit of AHC?

is there a risk of breaking CV axles when in ahc hi? asking f I'm the perspective of a daily driver.

The real value of this is for off roaring right?
I don't know about the axles but this is not making the truck do something it didn't already do. The high mode is meant for off road but the LX looks bad ass in high so if I want to cruise around town in high I now have the option. Also when on trails I don't have to keep it below 19mph on flats. Probably not good on the highway and tires may wear differently but for me this little mod does exactly what I wanted.

But the connector is a pain to get to so why not wire up a switch so you have the option of having a stock feature.

Oh I totally agree with that. Just confirming how it works and now figuring how to connect wires to switch.

Does this mod also prevent raising out of low mode when reaching the critical speed as well? It's just a complete speed info interrupt to the AHC system right?

Does this mod also prevent raising out of low mode when reaching the critical speed as well? It's just a complete speed info interrupt to the AHC system right?
Yes it will prevent raising out of low as well. I would not recommend driving in low though

Yes pulling out 4 and 17 would prevent the vehicle from changing height automatically. But the connector is a pain to get to so why not wire up a switch so you have the option of having a stock feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm reading is htat you can pull out 4 and 17 and the speed sensor is disconnected. This means that you can travel at any speed in L, N, or H. Also, that you can still select which setting you want, it just doesn't go there automatically, ever.

One the other hand, if you install a switch, when the switch is flipped, you can stay in L, N, or H, whichever you select. Then, if you flip the switch, it will revert to normal and the speed sensor is back in play meaning it will automatically go back to N once it reaches 19mps in H and whatever it is in L.

Is this correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm reading is htat you can pull out 4 and 17 and the speed sensor is disconnected. This means that you can travel at any speed in L, N, or H. Also, that you can still select which setting you want, it just doesn't go there automatically, ever.

One the other hand, if you install a switch, when the switch is flipped, you can stay in L, N, or H, whichever you select. Then, if you flip the switch, it will revert to normal and the speed sensor is back in play meaning it will automatically go back to N once it reaches 19mps in H and whatever it is in L.

Is this correct?
Precisely

Thank you for the write up, so when break the connection to the 2 wires the AHC will stay in whatever mode you have it on? This is fantastic for me, on long trips i'd like to stay in Lo mode to get better MPG and on trails just keep it in Hi. Was it easy to get to the connector or did you have to remove the bottom part of the steering column cover as seen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom