Home made lx470 AHC over ride (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're exactly right, that's how the switch works. It's basically two switches controlled by one toggle (or throw), hence the "dual pole single throw" terminology (DPST)

However, my question is more: why do we need to interrupt two separate wires if the intent is to interrupt the speed sensor feedback to fool AHC into staying at any height? Assuming only one speed sensor, what data is flowing through two separate wires?

My question is purely cosmetic. I'll buy a universal DPST switch if need be, but I'd really love an OEM look with a Toyota single pole switch accomplishing this task.
I believe wire 4 is the left ABS speed sensor and wire 17 is the right wheel speed sensor that's why you need to interrupt both wire signals to the AHC.

I've received a lot of questions about the switch, why are there 4 wires and how to splice so I figured it would be easier to just put a video together of the complete install of the AHC override. Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Video says unavailable

Legend man! That's awesome - guess I've got something to play with this weekend :D

Great install video. Now just waiting from the guru's to see if riding in H or L will damage suspensions parts.

Everything is good in moderation
Yes, agreed. But,
when i Hi, the center of gravity is higher, which could be an issue both at speed and offroad. Also the wear on CVs would be higher, and the pressure on the ahc accumulators would make them live shorter. You also have a harder suspension in high.
Then, in Low, you are driving on the bump stops, or very close to. If hitting bumps in the road it will give a strain on the Lower control arms, and on the rubber stops. Those driving off road for extended periods have experienced cracks in the LCA, especially for the heavier diesel or those with armor, which comes from hitting the bump stops repeatedly.

Edit:
Additionally, the flex is the best at N height, giving you the most even traction (between the wheels) when flexing. This gives an advantage in difficult terrain. But yes, the override can still be a nice feature to have.

Last edited:
I think you guys are overthinking it, you don't have to drive in high or low all the time, it's just an option. I know my LX looks bad ass in high so if I want to cruise around town in high or hit a trail and not worry about the 19 mph limit I can. If you were to drive in high all the time you would probably need a diff drop and an alignment in high. This mod is just meant to give you options.

Also, keep in mind this is a $10 mod, Slee offered the same thing for $200

I think you guys are overthinking it, you don't have to drive in high or low all the time, it's just an option. I know my LX looks bad ass in high so if I want to cruise around town in high or hit a trail and not worry about the 19 mph limit I can. If you were to drive in high all the time you would probably need a diff drop and an alignment in high. This mod is just meant to give you options.

That's exactly the point. Use the mod when you need to use it. I'll cruise around in normal mode for 99% of all driving, but if I need a little extra lift for a quicker bit of a track, I will now have that option.

Reactions: uHu
That's exactly the point. Use the mod when you need to use it. I'll cruise around in normal mode for 99% of all driving, but if I need a little extra lift for a quicker bit of a track, I will now have that option.
Exactly!

Reactions: uHu
The only need for override that I have experienced so far is when driving through mud. Sometimes wheels spin, the speedometer goes above 35kph, even though the vehicle is actually moving slower and the system drops from H to N. Drives me crazy!
Otherwise I agree with uHu that prolonged driving in H/L can have bad consequences.

great thread, photos and video, thanks for posting.. Once i find a DPST rocker i like, i will be doing the same.

What's the deal with the Slee circuit board that was behind their override switch?? Did the override have any other features? if its as simple as wiring in a DPST and mounting it, why add complexity with a board?

great thread, photos and video, thanks for posting.. Once i find a DPST rocker i like, i will be doing the same.

What's the deal with the Slee circuit board that was behind their override switch?? Did the override have any other features? if its as simple as wiring in a DPST and mounting it, why add complexity with a board?
I think it was a marketing thing, can't charge $200 for a DPST switch

...Once i find a DPST rocker i like, i will be doing the same....
Just use a DP relay, and you can use any switch you like. It would probably even be possible to utilise one of the unused center dash switches, but that would be more work, reconfiguring the PCB traces and finding the right button.

Excellent point. The board most likely had circuitry to change the voltage on the appropriate AHC ECU pins so that the adaptive suspension still functions properly (as PADDO pointed out in another thread). This should be easy to figure out with some Mohm resistors to try for the Guinea pigs. THEN you probably have close to a Slee compatible functional switch.

Excellent point. The board most likely had circuitry to change the voltage on the appropriate AHC ECU pins so that the adaptive suspension still functions properly (as PADDO pointed out in another thread). This should be easy to figure out with some Mohm resistors to try for the Guinea pigs. THEN you probably have close to a Slee compatible functional switch.

Looks like a business opportunity for some member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom