HJ61 Instead Of FZJ80?? Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello members,

I currently own a 80 series - triple locked, 140 miles, full option, bone stock, mall crawler- in good condition(Few small rust areas around the body and undercarriage). I bought this rig not too long ago for less than 10k CAD. I have driven it around for a little while and have been enjoying it and been planning out my rig.

However, one of my local cruiser enthusiast that I’ve come in contact with has a 1988 HJ61 -5 speed, front/rear cable lockers, full option- w 200k miles on it and is asking around 28k CAD (which is roughly around 21-23k USD I believe). The car is in mint condition, the guy took care of it very well and is trust worthy... also comes w a lot of spare parts.

With that being said, I’ve always wanted a diesel LC and the look of the 60 series just makes me smile. Now from my short research it looks like the 12HT is one of the most reliable and best Diesel engine Toyota has made so far.

So to get to the point. I am seeking for some advice since I don’t know how much these HJ61 go for or their worth (the seller told me some go for 30 to 40k USD now). If it is worth it to get the HJ61, I’m considering selling my 80 for a decent price and put cash on top. Is this a good idea? I understand the HJ61 has much more in mileage so is it worth the 28k he’s asking?

The seller is not in a rush and he doesn’t have the rig posted anywhere so I might have some time to come up with the extra money if I were to buy it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to make a mistake of selling my low mileage triple locked 80.
Thank you all for in advance and if you need any pics let me know, but this truck is mint.

For me (YMMV) the decision would mostly hinge on RHD versus LHD. I have nothing against right hand drive trucks, but if I was going to pay 20+ thousand dollars for a leaf-sprung HJ61 versus a coil-sprung FZJ80, I personally would enjoy driving on the left side of the vehicle.

Don’t get me wrong, I drove my HJ61 to work this morning, and loved every minute of it. But the 61 is most definitely not as plush and comfortable as an 80 series. For me, the 60 series is my spirit animal, and I absolutely love it. And the ascynchronous growl of the 12HT is a pleasure to drive- so much torque, so much snarl and grunt.

But if you have a low mileage triple locked 80… That would be a difficult decision for me if the 61 was righty.

Post up some pictures of both and we might be able to help you make an informed decision.

My plan was to sell my FJ60 I had owned for decades and buy a used, newer 80

60 series is sexier. But after going to a few rock crawling events I have to admit the 80 series is a better off-road platform. You're talking about lockers but also mint condition vehicles. So I think you have to decide what your intended use is. If you want to attend some off road events and enjoy the four wheeling aspect and LOCKERS and maybe dream about suspension lifts and winch bumpers...then stay with the 80.

If you just want a mall crawler that looks great and maybe do some overlanding, camping, easy trails then a stock 60 will fit the bill too.

No one will be able to give you a value without lots of pics and description. In the end it will be what someone thinks is worth the money to pull the trigger.

Other considerations include parts availability and your mechanical knowledge of diesel repair assuming you will do repairs yourself.

Thats a tough choice. Just depends on what your priorities are. 61s are great and the 12H-T w/ 5spd and lockers is a great find.

While both are land cruisers, they are completely different. The 80 is going to beat the 61 in just about every category, from comfort to off road capability. Parts availability is always on my mind with the 61 but i have not hit any road blocks yet. Routine maintenance is what will keep it running with little issues

But if the 61 is something you really want it might be worth it for you. RHD is a more difficult sell to people so keep that in mind unless this will be a keeper.

I'm not sure if this will be a factor for you, but when I had my RHD LJ78, my insurance agent told me the underwriter would not sell me comprehensive coverage, because it was RHD. I could only run liability coverage on it. Not a big deal when you've paid $5,000 for the car, but when you're dropping almost thirty grand, it might be something to check into before making your decision. Maybe you have a better insurance agent than me. (I'm in Alberta too, by the way). Good luck!

If you want it for off roading keep the 80. If you want a unique vehicle that will appreciate get the 61. Id be afraid to scratch the 61. The 80 will also appreciate in value. The difference in gas mileage won't make up for the difference in price.

Keep the 80 and figure out a way to get the 61. Best of both worlds right there :). I know the 80 is better in every way, but I love wheeling with a 5-speed. Sort of like refusing a recluse clutch when I used to ride two wheels in the woods. Just something about using the clutch. And Mark @drenmaster bangs his truck with the best of them and his is RHD. Anything can be fixed on these old trucks. I spent almost 4 years doing a frame off on my build and it's already taken some abuse. part of the fun in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom