Hilux LN106 Blank Canvas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I just picked up a LN106 Hilux double cab. It was an abandoned project and it has no engine or transmission but it used to have a 3L diesel. It still has the wiring harness for the 3L.
I live in Central America so we get a pretty good choice of diesels/transmissions. I was thinking about getting a wrecker 4Runner(Surf) or Prado with the 1KZ and the trans.
How much harder/more expensive will this be versus just going back to the 3L? Parts are easily sourced for both 1KZ and 3L
C930AAC4-AE6D-4D50-A8CC-0D3F2D9D1748_1_102_o.jpeg

It's best to ask engine questions over in the diesel forum. Us gassers are not much help with the oil burners.

[Mod note] I'm going to leave this here instead of moving it because many of us slobber over these 4 door Hilux.

Give us the rundown on the truck with more pictures.

Last edited:
My two cents is to go to the 3L. I love my little 2.8. I just recently rebuilt one, and I'm very familiar with these engines.

I run a 3L with G52 gearbox. But it will also work with W series transmissions, or even R series with correct bell housing.

As for how hard/expensive the 1KZ swaps are, I can't attest to that, but a few guys have done it. To me there is something very special about the 3L with fully mechanical injection.

Another option you have is the 5L. It will drop right in with very little or no modifications, and it is just a bored out 3L engine.

Thanks guys. I think I’m gonna stick with the 3L. We don’t have any big freeways here so dont need it to be fast, but I’m a sucker for power so may turbo it conservatively down the road.
Its A very common engine with parts easily found so am looking forward to a pretty straight forward project And dependable truck.
what’s the most comfortable Soft suspension for these? dirt/muddy roads, lots of bumps and holes daily driving. 50% paved. No hard wheeling.

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_0051.png

IMG_0052.png

I'd go dobinsons.

Good move to stick with the 3L.
I'm turboing mine sometime soon. All the parts showed up this month.

Welcome to the RL106 club amigo!! The NA 3L is a pretty bullet proof engine, a million KMs is common before tear down. Dobinsons has a few options. For my RL106L I went with medium spring rates with 1.75" lift. That also offer a stock weight spring but only .75" of lift.

Donde en Nica estas tu? Voy a Matagalpa una vez al año por verde cafe, desde Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

Pah, KZ swap it with a mechanical pump see my thread RHD KZ swap.

Welcome to the RL106 club amigo!! The NA 3L is a pretty bullet proof engine, a million KMs is common before tear down. Dobinsons has a few options. For my RL106L I went with medium spring rates with 1.75" lift. That also offer a stock weight spring but only .75" of lift.

Donde en Nica estas tu? Voy a Matagalpa una vez al año por verde cafe, desde Costa Rica. Pura Vida!
Gracias amigo!
I live in SW Nicaragua near the town of San Juan del Sur. Es lindo Matagalpa! I know CR well - I go there for work (craft brewery).
I still havent started this project as I am finishing others. The Hilux is still in storage with no drivetrain. I'm finishing up my 22Re flatbed build.
I'll probably end up buying a full donor vehicle. Keeping my eyes open for one at the right price.

which craft brewery?
Gracias amigo!
I live in SW Nicaragua near the town of San Juan del Sur. Es lindo Matagalpa! I know CR well - I go there for work (craft brewery).
I still havent started this project as I am finishing others. The Hilux is still in storage with no drivetrain. I'm finishing up my 22Re flatbed build.
I'll probably end up buying a full donor vehicle. Keeping my eyes open for one at the right price.

I have a stock 3L LN107. Went with dobinsons. 31 KO2s. Happy so far but revs feel high above 60 mph. No tach so don't know exactly. Seems pretty typical compared to my old BJ70.

3L revs high. You won't hurt it. I am also running 31s at the moment with a 4.3 final drive ratio. At 100k/hr in 5th I sit around 3k rpm.

You can blaze down the highway at 3500-3600rpms all day with zero worries.

ok thanks good to know. didn't feel right but had a suspicion it was likely normal. i do want to take road trips in this thing once its all sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom