Bed Cover for Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having trouble finding a hard fold-up or pop-up bed cover for my LN106 Hilux.

I see there's a couple options for soft covers, but that isn't really what I need. Anyone have any idea where to look?

My truck is a 4-door, so it has a different bed than domestic trucks.

Like you, I would also like to see a bed cover for my 1981 long bed. I would love to get a Softtopper vinyl cap, but they don't make one for an 81. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Like you, I would also like to see a bed cover for my 1981 long bed. I would love to get a Softtopper vinyl cap, but they don't make one for an 81. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
pretty sure an 84+ softopper would work for you. you will just have to figure out a way to bolt it to the rail.

I've called every tonneau cover distributor in Australia. None of them will ship to the U.S. no matter how much I plead with them.

When I still had Patch my plan was to have a place like sendcutsend cut out a bunch of 6mm birch plywoood pieces and build my own frame for a pop-up tonneau cover with a gently curved top surface so that rain, snow, etc. would drain off. Cover the frame with two layers of 1/8" marine ply, and use marine epoxy to coat and glue the whole thing together along with a couple layers of woven glass on the top surface. I'll have to dig to see if I still have the CAD model.

I just thought of this again and checked out the Softtopper website. They do have a top listed that will fit 1978 to 1995 Toyota pickups. That was different than what I remembered seeing a month ago. Good news. And it is $100 off right now.

When I still had Patch my plan was to have a place like sendcutsend cut out a bunch of 6mm birch plywoood pieces and build my own frame for a pop-up tonneau cover with a gently curved top surface so that rain, snow, etc. would drain off. Cover the frame with two layers of 1/8" marine ply, and use marine epoxy to coat and glue the whole thing together along with a couple layers of woven glass on the top surface. I'll have to dig to see if I still have the CAD model.
Looks like it is gone. Had a machine hard crash a while back and it must have been on that machine.

Here is the Softtopper link to our trucks.

looking at the assembly video, I am not quite sure how the bed rails are attached to the bed. My 81 and I’m sure other years do not have a lip inside the bed like they show the clamps attaching to in the video. Be nice to hear from someone who has actually installed one.

Here is the Softtopper link to our trucks.

looking at the assembly video, I am not quite sure how the bed rails are attached to the bed. My 81 and I’m sure other years do not have a lip inside the bed like they show the clamps attaching to in the video. Be nice to hear from someone who has actually installed one.
it might be worth a call to actually tt customer service.
i don't see this happening without drilling, but ive been wrong before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom