Help with controls on new to me 80 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Evening!! Sorry I have been distracted from this forum! My delay responding is not because I lack interest- just life’s distractions! You all have been so kind and I really appreciate your replying
It is a 4 speed. No clue about the brakes, except that they work- LOL! I can’t figure out the heating unit, which was installed (front and rear) as part of the agreement to purchase. I almost think they installed the heaters but did not provide for the function al “on/off” hook-up such that the equipment could operate. And I am worried that my mechanics here are baffled by my LC.

And despite a new fuel tank, new fuel lines and some other TLC, my baby dies when driving it back and forth the few miles between home and work. Oie Vey!! I need help — or my head examined— or both!!!

A80FF879-99BC-4CDB-95D2-4415517B4C93.jpeg

Oh ya and that case of beer ?? Count me in ! 🍻 I’d love to have someone with some insight and interest help me! I absolutely love this rig... but LC and I have got a few quirks and kinks and hiccups to resolve and I know I am gonna need help I can trust to get us to our happy place !!

Does this help? Sorry about the photo quality- I can try again tomorrow with my daughter’s help if you guys need a better picture.

AD62FBCA-FD12-4331-8078-056FE105D89E.jpeg

I am so hopeful that all will work as you explain 🙏🏻 I will be tremendously relieved if the heater works and that the heater isn’t “one more thing” to fix !! Stay tuned ...

The knob at lower right ( warm pull ) controls coolant flow through the heater core. The fan pull knob - first detent - is low speed. Second detent is high speed. If it was wired right,the rear heater fan comes on in the second position also.
The heater blower motor should be in the engine compartment on the passenger side firewall. It should look similar to this:

1571572232018.png

The horizontal cylindrical part is a resistor, it basically controls the two different fan speeds (I forget how exactly). If it's not working, or if the wiring at or to the resistor is bad, your fan will only run at one speed (or not at all), no matter whether the fan pull knob is at the first or second detent. There is a good aftermarket replacement if your resistor is bad, a MUD search will point you in the right direction.

Thanks very much guys!! I will visit with my mechanic about this when I drop my baby off to see why I am having issues keeping the thing running unless the choke is pulled way out 😩

Idle solenoid working? Do you hear a click coming from the carburetor when you turn on the ignition?

Not sure about anyone else on here but the first picture is a choke control . It is on pretty much every chain saw , yard implement or anything else that has ever had a choke on it. If you look at the symbol it is a flap in a passage way with what looks like wind coming through on one side.

BTW, I am in Great Falls. And billmc, you said it looks to have a FF rear?? What is that??
A full float rear axle has two bearings per hub just like the front hubs do. It means that it's rated for higher load than a semi float (which mostly doesn't matter much unless you work down in the mines or if you feel the need to mount a ZPU 4 in the back, and that if a rear axle breaks it may be able to replace it without disassembling the diff to get the snap ring off. I'm just guessing from the little picture you posted, but with a close up shot of the rear wheel we'd know for sure. 40s never came with the in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom