SOLVED... Wife stuck in NM Dealer says she needs new ECU for lost keys! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 LC lost all keys. Dealer says it needs new ECU they can get unitl next week. They are supposed to come home to TX on Sunday. Isnt it true they can do the key programing on an 03 with out replacing the ECU?

Last edited:
I can't recall on the '03, but definitely for the 98/99 if you've lost all the keys, the dealer will cover the cost of the ECU replacement one time in the life of the vehicle. You have to buy the new keys, they cover the ECU. Pretty sure Toyota changed this as it's a big customer service problem if someone does lose all their keys.

A quick search on here indicates for an '03 you either have to have the dealer replace the ECU or have it reflashed by a locksmith. The locksmith route apparently requires the ECU to be sent off to the locksmith and so that will take a while too. The business most often referred to on MUD for these questions is Locksmith Charley and his phone number (in AZ) is 602-717-5397.

The locksmith route apparently requires the ECU to be sent off to the locksmith and so that will take a while too.

Many locksmiths will come to the vehicle and do it where it sits as well, at an increased price of course.

Last edited:
2003 LC lost all keys. Dealer says it needs new ECU they can get unitl next week. They are supposed to come home to TX on Sunday. Isnt it true they can do the key programing on an 03 with out replacing the ECU?

Find a locksmith that can reflash the ECU, have them program a couple of new master keys and then have a spare made and hide it somewhere on the framework of the vehicle. Can't believe folks don't do this.

With the VIN, a dealer can cut you a blank. They might require a copy of the title, but then your locksmith would have a key to copy.

Reactions: jLB
She had lost her key in the sand At White Sands Natl. Monument. While I was on the phone with Charlie the locksmith (mentioned above) She called me from White sands. She said she went back out there (in her rental car) as a last ditched effort. She was in the gift shop when a girl walked into the gift shop with our key in her hand! Keep in mind this was 24 hours later in a sand box that is according to Wikipedia 275 Sq miles. HA! It was pretty ridiculous. She said she slid down a dune and when she stopped the key just "popped" up out of the sand! She just happened to find the key at precisely the same time my wife walked back into the gift shop 24 hours later!
We now have a new key programmed by the dealer.

Desert Sun Toyota was very helpful in this situation. They have not been given the info they need to serve the customer the best possible way. Dealers train their folks to just blindly follow the rules. The guy in the service dept was only following the service bulletin sent to him by his employer. I know a lot of people want to crucify the dealerships. I feel (or at least in this case) They did all they could do to help us with the information they had been given.

All in all it worked out. Not in the way we would have imagined.... but it worked out.

How do you loose all the keys? I could see losing a key but not all of them.
We had a key cut that would only open the door. When we bought the 03 the owner only had the one key My fault for not wanting to spend the cash on a new key with the chip. Basically my fault for being cheap.

She had lost her key in the sand At White Sands Natl. Monument. While I was on the phone with Charlie the locksmith (mentioned above) She called me from White sands. She said she went back out there (in her rental car) as a last ditched effort. She was in the gift shop when a girl walked into the gift shop with our key in her hand! Keep in mind this was 24 hours later in a sand box that is according to Wikipedia 275 Sq miles. HA! It was pretty ridiculous. She said she slid down a dune and when she stopped the key just "popped" up out of the sand! She just happened to find the key at precisely the same time my wife walked back into the gift shop 24 hours later!
We now have a new key programmed by the dealer.

Desert Sun Toyota was very helpful in this situation. They have not been given the info they need to serve the customer the best possible way. Dealers train their folks to just blindly follow the rules. The guy in the service dept was only following the service bulletin sent to him by his employer. I know a lot of people want to crucify the dealerships. I feel (or at least in this case) They did all they could do to help us with the information they had been given.

All in all it worked out. Not in the way we would have imagined.... but it worked out.

As someone who's been to White Sands, man are you guys lucky!!

We had a key cut that would only open the door. When we bought the 03 the owner only had the one key My fault for not wanting to spend the cash on a new key with the chip. Basically my fault for being cheap.

As you have discovered, having a key that only opens the door....will most often be of little use. Its actually pretty hard to lock yourself out of a 100 series (but not impossible), a more likely scenario is a lost/misplaced key. That is why it is critical to have a spare transponder key.

I have two spares at home. We ALWAYS carry two keys anytime we will be more than 50 miles from home.

I have a spare transponder key triple wrapped in plastic bags (with dessicant) and covered in tape, mounted to a spot on the upper framework of the vehicle, (but accessible)....just in case.

Hidden%20Key_zpsl4f5xz1e.jpg

Spare%20Hidden_zpsjkadzc9u.jpg

There are dozens of places to safely hide a key. The spot I chose is very easy to get to and where I live....there is ZERO chance anyone is going to see it and steal the vehicle. You might choose a more inconspicuous location.

That is literally the equivalent (or probably even worse) of finding a needle in a haystack.
As you have discovered, having a key that only opens the door....will most often be of little use. Its actually pretty hard to lock yourself out of a 100 series (but not impossible), a more likely scenario is a lost/misplaced key. That is why it is critical to have a spare transponder key.

I have two spares at home. We ALWAYS carry two keys anytime we will be more than 50 miles from home.

I have a spare transponder key triple wrapped in plastic bags (with dessicant) and covered in tape, mounted to a spot on the upper framework of the vehicle, (but accessible)....just in case.

Hidden%20Key_zpsl4f5xz1e.jpg

Spare%20Hidden_zpsjkadzc9u.jpg

There are dozens of places to safely hide a key. The spot I chose is very easy to get to and where I live....there is ZERO chance anyone is going to see it and steal the vehicle. You might choose a more inconspicuous location.

Thanks for the advice. I like triple wrap plastic bag and duct tape!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom