Toyota Lost Keys, ECM Reflashing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there was some discussion about this approach some time back, probably centering on why doesn't Toy do this and instead replace the ECM for free in some cases... don't recall details...

I bet that is what they do. They probably found reflashing was too complex for dealer techs and ship a "New computer" for R&R then send the old computer to a depot repair site for "repair/refurbing/reflashing" for the next "free replacement". I doubt most of the free ECUs are really new.

This way they look generous, the dealer doesn't have to hassel with a computer repair beyond most auto techs and both customers and dealers understand not to lose the master key.

NMuzj100 said:
I bet that is what they do. They probably found reflashing was too complex for dealer techs and ship a "New computer" for R&R then send the old computer to a depot repair site for "repair/refurbing/reflashing" for the next "free replacement". I doubt most of the free ECUs are really new.

This way they look generous, the dealer doesn't have to hassel with a computer repair beyond most auto techs and both customers and dealers understand not to lose the master key.

good point!

Toyota sent me a refurbished ECU, (you are correct sir! )And you are also correct when you state that most Toyo techs don't know jack about reprogramming them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom