Help needed with steering wander and parts source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been working of my 1982 FJ40 steering wonder issue. I think I may need the following parts shown in the attached parts diagram. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I think I need parts no. 152, 153, 154, and maybe no. 41. We have not dissembled the column yet, but there appears to be slope in this area so we think this is what is needed.

FJ steering parts diagram.jpg

Sometimes the steering wander comes from changing the caster angle when you install a lift kit and it is essentially making you steer into the ground. If the truck feels like its following every rut in the road then it is probably the culprit. If you are turning the steering wheel and the tire done respond to small adjustments then I would replace column components and or other pieces and parts. The best way to see is see if a local shop will let you park on an alignment table so it is level and happy and then place an angle finder to see how far from level the pinion flange is they then sell shims to correct this imbalance.

Sometimes the steering wander comes from changing the camber angle and making you steer into the ground. The best way to see is see if a local shop will let you park on an alignment table so it is level and happy and then place an angle finder to see how far from level the pinion flange is they then sell shims to correct this imbalance.

We have done all this and it is spot on. Everything is new and the only issue we can find at the moment is the slop in the steering shaft. You can feel it at the wheel and move the shaft with your hand. So next step is to tear this area apart and see why it has movement.

That would make sense. The rag joint would possibly be the most likely to be worn I would think. I assume the truck has power steering being as it is an 82.

I think the down side is that most parts will have to be used or perhaps re made with a machinist. Generally what I have seen is when these parts wear out a flaming river or other aftermarket shaft is put in its place. If this is a nut and bolt correct truck I am unsure where you can buy the originals other than where you have already looked. Perhaps reach out to restoration or new truck builders like the fj company and see if they have a source or are making them and willing to sell them. Good luck.

I have been working of my 1982 FJ40 steering wonder issue. I think I may need the following parts shown in the attached parts diagram. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I think I need parts no. 152, 153, 154, and maybe no. 41. We have not dissembled the column yet, but there appears to be slope in this area so we think this is what is needed.

View attachment 2185641

Have you checked with a decent dealer? You’d be surprised what is available. I just did the pedal bucket on our ‘72 and was able to find most of the pins, bushings and springs. If you can find part numbers amayama.com is a reputable source.

Have you checked with a decent dealer? You’d be surprised what is available. I just did the pedal bucket on our ‘72 and was able to find most of the pins, bushings and springs. If you can find part numbers amayama.com is a reputable source.

No I have not checked with dealer. I did look on SOR and their site says NLA for all these parts. Are dealers different? Hoping @Onur will chime in on this conversation.

IIRCC the 154 is a round pin, it just transfers the turning/rotation from the upper piece to the lower piece, a slip yoke, collapsible steering column.
Is there a difference in the rotation of the steering wheel to the rag joint, you should be able to see the rag joint and turn the wheel with the window open and door closed. the wheel rotation should be direct to the rag joint with no play.

there was a thread years ago on these columns, more about length but it had pics., I'll see if I can find it.

#13 in this thread has a good pic

maybe #153 x 2 are worn???

Last edited:
IIRCC the 154 is a round pin, it just transfers the turning/rotation from the upper piece to the lower piece, a slip yoke, collapsible steering column.
Is there a difference in the rotation of the steering wheel to the rag joint, you should be able to see the rag joint and turn the wheel with the window open and door closed. the wheel rotation should be direct to the rag joint with no play.

there was a thread years ago on these columns, more about length but it had pics., I'll see if I can find it.

#13 in this thread has a good pic

maybe #153 x 2 are worn???

Thanks for the help. The shop helping me with this issue thinks that the problem is related to these parts listed above. They have not disassembled the steering yet but they said they have seen the problem before and said Jeeps have similar setup and they could fabricate a Jeep part to work if I can’t get a Toyota part. I am not keen on using Jeep parts but if we can’t find original Toyota parts it may be our only option. I appreciate the help.

The challenge will be that any used parts may be no better than what I currently have. This truck only has 44K miles from new, so not sure why something like this would be worn out, but since we haven’t disassembled yet I am guessing. I was hoping to acquire new parts and have them in hand for the disassembly and rebuilding. It is at a shop and they don’t want it sitting torn apart while I source parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom