Headlights- post up your pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Putting LED bulbs into an assembly that isn't designed for them produces poor lighting. The LED bulb does not produce the same light pattern as the halogen bulb and so the reflector does not produce and even output. Stray light, uneven pattern. Some people like that I guess because it sure seems popular.

Buzzkill..... Suddenly not so excited about wrapping this project up.. We'll see how it turnes out, anything marginally better than stock is a win in my book.. I'm not out night running high speed canyons at night in a 24 year old station wagon.... :meh:

I just upgraded the bulbs. I like them and don't find myself double checking if my lights are on.

20180404_010145.jpg

20180405_003555.jpg

20180414_155551_Burst68.jpg

And apparently a random picture of a GX...

That's actually pretty good doughboy. One of my housings is not very reflective inside so it needs replacing.

@doughboy - details man, spill.

OE or Depo housings, what bulbs exactly?

@doughboy you upgraded the bulbs and kept the factory lights? What bulb?

Also, did I install your lift 8 or so years ago?

@doughboy you upgraded the bulbs and kept the factory lights? What bulb?

Also, did I install your lift 8 or so years ago?

I upgraded the bulbs, I forgot what I got and threw away the packaging.

Haha yeah on new years eve I think? We weren't sure if it was going to make it out of the garage. I actually sold that rig 2 years ago, but I'm rocking an HDJ81 now and am currently in Denver.

Still have yet to see an aftermarket option that I prefer over OEM ;(
I’m thinking the same. My to do list has Slee’s wire harness and 9011s.
Plus the cheap asf $15 HF 55watt pencil beams on the front are quite helpful at speed on lonely roads.
On the shelf are 4 old KC day lighters ready when a proper bumper is installed.

I went with depo’s, JDM clear corners and then I slapped Lifetime LED’s in the low and high beam slots. I’m quite happy with the Depo’s and they are worth the wiring hassle. The LED’s are more of a mixed bag.

On the low beams, Lifetime changed their design. It’s no longer a Cree led on the top and bottom to mimick the light output of a halogen bulb, but three small LED’s on one side of the bulb. Also, previous versions used a locking ring to maintain the bulb position, but the new ones use a small bearing and the tension is minimal. Although this allowed me to clock the bulbs for a little wider pattern, I’m not sure how well they will keep position on bumpy roads.

The high beams function well, but lack long distance throw power. Care must be taken when setting the bulbs in place. The locking mechanism on the depos wants to strike a structurally weak spot on the bulb. A small modification has to be made to accommodate the power wire. The fanless design required some finagling to get through the rubber boot, and I had to wrap the base of the bulb in electrical tape to make the boot have a tight seal.

All in all, it was a lot of work to make them work, and I’m not convinced I’ve got the best output for what I spent.

**update, just lost passenger side low beam led after 100-150 hours of use. About to use the lifetime warranty.

68F94131-0A4E-49B5-A0BA-DC3C0AAA2893.jpeg

69AE3E50-EE49-4C70-A197-C71107F14C20.jpeg

Last edited:
Depo's are the price of a locker :flipoff2:

Buzzkill..... Suddenly not so excited about wrapping this project up.. We'll see how it turnes out, anything marginally better than stock is a win in my book.. I'm not out night running high speed canyons at night in a 24 year old station wagon.... :meh:

If it doesn't work out for you try this:
DEPO Lights with a Slee Harness

The light output is great. I do not get flashed and the bulbs are cheap!

If it doesn't work out for you try this:
DEPO Lights with a Slee Harness

The light output is great. I do not get flashed and the bulbs are cheap!

All done and real happy with the improvement in light output thus far.. Depo housing with LED bulbs may not be the perfect match but it's working for me..

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

All done and real happy with the improvement in light output thus far.. Depo housing with LED bulbs may not be the perfect match but it's working for me..

View attachment 1751301

View attachment 1751302

May i ask what kind of led bulbs you are running? I'm getting ready to purchase some DEPOs because my ebay ones currently get condensation and moisture in them. Also the light cut off is atrocious and people constantly flash me because my low beams are too high. They won't adjust lower either... I'm looking to run LEDs in the normal DEPO housing, I don't want to retrofit projectors in them to be honest.

Not scientifically the best solution for best light output pattern as some have pointed out, but it's been significantly better than the stock lights. LED bulbs in the stock housings.
IMG_2276 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

The whole she-bang. LED headlights, 42" roof LED + 2x LED pods on the roofrack. 3x Hella HID on the bumper. 20" led in the lower bumper.
IMG_2273 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Here's the headlight bulbs I'm using. The dirty grey one is the old one I was taking out that I ran for a couple years. The black one is what is currently in the truck and came in the box in the photo.
IMG_3184 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

$50 Depos, interior trim painted black with LED's

img_2276-jpg.1641975

img_2277-jpg.1641974

Those are DEPO's? They look like they have fluting on the lense, rather than the crystal lense I'm used to seeing. Any close up pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom