head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, all!
I have striped lest side engine, then it hit me how much more I need to unbolt to change head gasket - ya!
... but then looks like the head is made of cast iron so it will not warp, but I am not sure as I have not done this yet ever.
am I asking for more work? I was just thinking remove install new OEM gasket and bolt it in with new bolts, is there is anything else to it?
head_engine.jpg

A fair amount... remove rocker arms, pulling the rods, preferably buy new head bolts, check your manifolds that they are flat, new gaskets all around, it’s a big rabbit hole. Get a copy of the manual... it’s in my signature line.

D110D54A-0F9D-4572-A532-A7DF5AC5DDBB.jpeg

why are you changing the head gasket?
are you having the head checked?

I bet your radiator is partially clogged and / or the thermostat and / or the fan clutch could be your culprit.
no bro none of the above, the thermostat is working well, fan clutch is good rad is good too, strange thing that that temperature gauge is in normal spec ranges or perhaps it is not working well, anyways it was pushing it fluid into the extended canister and then overfill it

You might want to do a compression check on the cylinders before condemning the head gasket. At least pull the plugs to look for evidence of coolant or one that is "steam cleaned."

Is that your “ring” in the head bolt hole?👩‍🔧
Sure is! Three cheers for the Road Runner! This pix is before I cut it.

C5C133D4-2320-427B-9CD4-CABD20E0AE86.jpeg

Hello, all!
I have striped lest side engine, then it hit me how much more I need to unbolt to change head gasket - ya!
... but then looks like the head is made of cast iron so it will not warp, but I am not sure as I have not done this yet ever.
am I asking for more work? I was just thinking remove install new OEM gasket and bolt it in with new bolts, is there is anything else to it?

In addition to the FSM this might help -- a good recent thread by lcolon with step-by-step on head R+R:

if you are set on removing the head, take the time and have it checked and gone thru.
OEM headgasket only
have the manifolds planed
oil galley plugfix

And make sure to install the head gasket the right way, not backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom