Head Gasket Thread for the FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
IdahoDoug had a lot of great threads on the Headgasket issue, but no overall encompassing one. There were also a few other threads of merit. So I am starting this Thread to tie to the FAQ. Please feel free to add to it with any words of wisdon or other links that somone searching through the FAQ may want or need to know.

IdahoDoug finds coolent in the oil analyis and finds Gasket blown

AAAAAAAAGH! Head gasket's blown!!

Head Gasket progress

IdahoDoug finds Head is cracked after replacing Head Gasket

Disaster - head IS cracked...

Milling of Head provides more Power

Head's done - milled .010 off for a bit of power

Reinstallation of Head

Lucy's got her head on!

Dougs Head Gasket Wrap Up

Head gasket wrap up

If it wasn't for Bad luck . . . . (Happened on a different rig though)

You guys are not going to believe this. Blew another head gasket today!

Other Forum Members Contributions

Romer's thread on Robbie's work showing before and after pictures of Carbon build-up

Cruiserdans Offical 1FZ head gasket debate

Is it my head gasket????

Head Gasket issues more common on one year than another?

Lars Head Gasket/timing chain cover work

Landtank Head Gasket Evaluation - Photos no longer there

Landtank previous Head Gasket Thread

Discussion on potential ways to see if Head Gasket was done

And what else should you check while doing the HG

New added July 2007Masons thoughts after doing a HG job

New Nov 2008 monteburns headgasket write-up with pictures

Last edited:
one addition, pic of #6 from a recent 97 40th, badly blown,
HG.jpg

That is a textbook #6 cylinder fire-ring failure.

The top photo is Rick's head gasket, replaced as a PM. You can see that the fire ring is about to pull away in the 2 o'clock position. The lower photo is the new head gasket. Look closely and you can see the extension of the fire ring all the way out to the edge of the gasket.
80 038.jpg
80 037.jpg

Is there any head gasket replacement kit available? Is the material on the new head gasket updated to a stronger material? Just wondering what kind of head gasket material do they use on 100 series with 240 hp IFZ-FE.

Also, if you look closely at the new, and old, HG you see that some of the coolant passages look to be either completely closed off or mostly closed off, what is up with that??? Would it help or hurt to take the knife to that area and open it all the way up??? Thanks. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I wouldn't. That was done for a reason. NO, I don't know the reason...;)

turbocruiser said:
Would it help or hurt to take the knife to that area and open it all the way up??? :

It would hurt badly, coolant enters the block at the front and leaves the head at the front, if the gasket was fully open the front cylinders would get a lot more flow and therefore much more cooling the rear, the rear would get almost none.

The gasket is set up to control fluid flow. The majority of the coolant travels the length of the block cooling the block and then the majority enters the head at the back of #6 cylinder and flows foreword cooling the entire head.

you will note there are only 3 large holes in the head gasket, the rest are small holes, two of the large ones are at the very back, the third is on the exhaust side of the head at #6, you will also notice that all of the smaller holes are larger on the exhaust side, the majority of heat in an engine is found in the head, especially around the exhaust port.

The small holes add in cooler coolant from the block to make up for warming of the coolant at it travels foreword in the head to hopefully apply even cooling to all cylinders.

RavenTai said:
It would hurt badly, coolant enters the block at the front and leaves the head at the front, if the gasket was fully open the front cylinders would get a lot more flow and therefore much more cooling the rear, the rear would get almost none.

The gasket is set up to control fluid flow. The majority of the coolant travels the length of the block cooling the block and then the majority enters the head at the back of #6 cylinder and flows foreword cooling the entire head.

you will note there are only 3 large holes in the head gasket, the rest are small holes, two of the large ones are at the very back, the third is on the exhaust side of the head at #6, you will also notice that all of the smaller holes are larger on the exhaust side, the majority of heat in an engine is found in the head, especially around the exhaust port.

The small holes add in cooler coolant from the block to make up for warming of the coolant at it travels foreword in the head to hopefully apply even cooling to all cylinders.

Makes perfect sense RT, thanks man. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hi guys.

I thought you guys might like to know this.

The supra 2JZ Supra head stud kit from ARP is a straight swap into the 1FZ-FE. I use a 1FZ for drag racing and have done this mod. It allows you to put significantly higher clamping force on the gasket and should significantly reduce or eliminate the head gasket failures you guys are suffering.

Cheers
Sean
Australia.

Good to know the 2JZ stuff will work... I ended up using ARP studs that were a little longer than the 2JZ units. If the shorter units hold 700hp in your car, there should be no problem using them with the stock engines most folks are running around here.

A 1FZ for drag racing? Please start a new thread and tell us a bit about the engine and the mods you've done to it!

Thanks,

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
A 1FZ for drag racing? Please start a new thread and tell us a bit about the engine and the mods you've done to it!

Thanks,

DougM

Yes, please do tell........:D

Holy s***!

Look as the size of that turbo.........:eek:

Not sure my search for a turbo'd 80 1FZ engine would have caught a thread title containing neither "80" nor "1FZ" that's actually in the 100 series forum. But thanks much for the link! Wow, that's some beef.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom